User Tag List

Thread: 1989 LRM coverage of Antioch CA show (AKA White Lowrider Country)

♠️LBCC Colorado♠️

User Info Menu

1989 LRM coverage of Antioch CA show (AKA White Lowrider Country)

Just thumbing thru an old LRM during a smoke break today and found this. De Rosa and D'Agostino mentioned, a couple of chuckles, maybe a groan, literature this was not.

20160921_144740.jpg

20160921_144945.jpg

20160921_144953.jpg

20160921_144958.jpg
    "Writin' my will on a three-dollar bill"

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

I remember that el camino very well. Candy red owned by a friend of mine from vallejo. He was one of only a few from my hometown to be in a club from san jose. That area had been low riding and having car shows many years before that show in 1989. It is true there were more white dudes driving low riders during the 70"s in those areas. They had there own style. Wheels of choice were Lloyds aka supremes with b-78 tires.and they all had harley davidson stickers in the back windows and those dudes all had the K.d. Biker sunglasses. Hell im still wearing them k.d. sunglasses. Some nights while I was in high school we would take a cruise to that area and always see nice rides and them dudes were chopping tops on there mid 70"s monte carlos,grandprixs,impalas. No other dudes in northern calif were doing that. Im guessing the chicano style low riders didnt start getting recongized in that area by low rider magazine till 1989! My club even had a chapter of " chicano style lowriders" in the antioch- pittsburg area around 1980.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Since john d'augustino was mentioned in the article, and not many people know his past cars before his famous customs here is a story a friend tells me about john in high school. Friend says that john showed up to high school one day with a brand new pontiac grand prix with front and back hydraulics and every guy in school had to have a low rider with hydraulics. My friend said he drove a 59 impala convertible back then and soon traded the 59 for a beat up 67 impala because it had front hydraulics. My friend now is in his mid 60"s and still into customs ever since that day in high school. Im sure d'augustino inspired alot of others also.

♠️LBCC Colorado♠️

User Info Menu

Nice! Thanks for the stories and info!
    "Writin' my will on a three-dollar bill"

♠ LBCC Nor Cal ♠

User Info Menu

This is awesome, thanks for sharing!*

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Cool. I sort of miss mini-trucks. You don't see them anymore in San Jose.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

All them mini trucks were converted back to stock and went to central America. Worth double the money there.

♠ B.C. Chapter President ♠

User Info Menu

We still have some mini trucks running around up here. I think it's only a matter of time before they come back into style..............hopefully the "wet paint" look doesn't haha................
    "If your going to build a time machine into a car, why not do it with style?" - Dr. Emmit Brown

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Here is a car built in this area years before 1989. I posted it before and just seen it posted on another site and thought it would fit in here. My friend bought it in 1979 already done.