User Tag List

Thread: 1980 Dodge Aspen "Air Morse One" from Estonia

Newb

User Info Menu

1980 Dodge Aspen "Air Morse One" from Estonia

Hi there

I know that by the year this car is a tad too new for this forum, but as I'm trying to head towards the vintage-look with this build, then I hope it doesn't get me banned from here. Bomba's 1978 Camaro thread has given me a bit of confidence in this and it was actually THE car that gave me the inspiration of going to this direction with the Aspen.

As said, Aspen is from 1980, the only year of this body and the last year of Aspen.
    225 slant six, rebuilt, drives nicely. I bought a Flowmaster 40 knock-off muffler, so it has quite a nice rumble going on under there. I've tried few different mufflers and searched in YouTube for the slant six exhaust sounds and the Flowmaster 40 was the one that made the "right" tone for me with this engine. But, as I wanted to get it cheaper, then I ordered a knock-off piece.

Rear axle has an DIY airride, all the parts are sourced locally. For example, the bags are from the Scania truck bogie axle (I'm not sure if it's the right word for it), air tank is an old fire extinguisher, 4-link is from under the Nissan Patrol and modified to fit the Aspen, shocks are from Cadillac Eldorado etc etc. Everything works nicely and I'm happy with it.

Wheels are 15x6 Supremes with 165/80 radial tires. 15" is a bit too big for my taste, but that's what I got at the moment and will keep 'em for a while. In the future, probably after the bodywork, I'll try some 14" wire wheels. I'm lusting after True Spokes or Star Wires, so I reckon that's the direction.

I pinstriped the car and also flaked and panelled the roof and C-pillars. As the body needs some work anyway, then in the future (next year or later) it will get a whole new paint. Flakes, panels, pinstripes and all the other tricks. Interior needs redoing as well, right now it's the original tan interior with purple flaked Mooneyes's steering wheel attached and some serapes thrown on the seats.

Here's some pics, I hope you enjoy.

Cheers!

"Air Morse One" and Pekka Mannermaa's "Visual Harassment" Riviera standing together at the Räyskälä Vintage Drags 2016:

Using the Aspen's trunk as a table for pinstriping the customer's toolbox at the Do-dads Reunion 2016:

Last edited by Jarmo; 08-02-2016 at 06:30 AM.
    Pinstriping, signpainting, custom painting
    One Eyed Morse Kustoms - www.kustom.ee

♠ LBCC Arizona ♠

User Info Menu

Pretty cool! I wanna see pics of that air setup!
    "Knowledge without mileage equals bullshit."
    -Henry Rollins

Newb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Pretty cool! I wanna see pics of that air setup!
    Here's one photo, not too good, but I hope it gives some idea

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Hell yes. This thing is fucking rad.
    Instagram: @misurelli_built_it

Newb

User Info Menu

Few more pics:

Newb

User Info Menu

Been driving about 9000km (around 5600 miles) this season with Air Morse One. This winter I'm planning to work on the body and paint the whole car.

About a month ago Wheelsbywovka (http://www.wheelsbywovka.com) took some photos of the Ass-Pen.

Last edited by Jarmo; 09-28-2016 at 12:58 AM.

♠ LBCC British Columbia ♠

User Info Menu

Very cool

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Newb

User Info Menu

October Rust

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

IG: dylanburnm

Newb

User Info Menu

Air Morse One sat for a year and eight months and I got it back on the road about two weeks ago.
    It started with it's own battery and even the brakes were loose etc. So I got it warm, got the technical inspection done and back on the road. The airride compressor has gotten weak though, so I need to figure that out in the future.

This is the way it was sitting for all this time:

First day at home and got the Supremes back on it

I was tired of the old look and decided to go with the phase 2. This meant removing all the old striping and adding some accessories that I had in mind for a long time.

So I started with removing the stripes. Used the nitro-solvent and steel-sponge to give it a bit roughed-out look. I already started to lay down some new panels and stripings on it.

Next task was to finally change the old dash. I had the better one purchased from ebay already a few years ago, but was just being lazy, so now it was time.
    Before:

After:

Then I wanted to build the venetian blinds.
    These were the only tools I got for this job:

Quality is not good, but it's OK to look from a distance :D

Last edited by Jarmo; 08-14-2018 at 04:12 AM.

Newb

User Info Menu

I bought this vintage "Archer" rabbit ears antenna from the Yokohama Hot Rod Custom Show back in 2016, so now it was time to finally attach it to the car

Also wanted a car TV. Been watching some vintage Panasonics and Sonys in eBay for a while but then bumped on a vintage Soviet piece on the local Estonian webmarket site - the Šilelis, made in Lithuania :D
    Looks exactly the part and as the Soviet occupation burdened us for 50 years then it's also a bit of history, so why not to use it instead of the "right" parts.

Didn't have the room in front because of the airride controls (will change this setup in the future, once the phase 3 or 4 hits), so I installed it in front of the backseat.
    First it needed the stand, so good old diy-ethics came in handy once again:

Mounted

Righteous amount of angel hair will make everything cooler

Added some more hairy bits while at it

Must not forget about the dingleberries

I've had the Felix doorlocks for a while now, but haven't taken a pic of 'em before.
    Bought 'em from the Yokohama Mooneyes store and found out later that these were produced only for the Asian markets.

Newb

User Info Menu

Just a few more photos of the fresh look from a week ago, minus the already started panel-stripings

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

One of a kind right there! Very cool!