User Tag List

Thread: When did you realize...

♠ LBCC British Columbia ♠

User Info Menu

When did you realize...

That you weren't your average car guy? I feel like this may have been asked before, but I was thinking about it the other day. I think for me, it was back when the 53 was still somewhat new to me and I was going for a roll with some hot rod guys who promptly did big burnouts and left me to find them later at our destination once I caught up.
    The same sort of thing the other day was what made me think of this. Turns out that if you aren't going the speed limit or slower, then we aren't rollin together.

♠ LBCC Arizona ♠

User Info Menu

Haha, out here the crew drives pretty fast actually. Seems like we're always having to take freeways to wherever it is we're going.
    "Knowledge without mileage equals bullshit."
    -Henry Rollins

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

As soon as I learned you're not supposed to like minitrucks, VWs, muscle cars, customs, hot rods, and lowriders. I was pretty young.
    MAKE LBCC MESSAGE BOARD RELEVANT AGAIN!

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Always LOVED both 50's Leadsleds and 70's Lowriders, but I was not aware that there was a style filling the gap between those two timeframes... Until I discovered about the "Bellflower Style" or "cruisers" or "60's customs" .
    Most of this because of you guys, and this board in general.
    Thank you lbcc and bros .
    5 on 5

♠ LBCC Chicagoland ♠

User Info Menu

When I found my third testical

♠️LBCC Colorado♠️

User Info Menu

I remember it like it was yesterday, a Saturday morning mid-70's walking to the park to play some basketball, turned a corner and there it was. A white '72 C-10 short step-side, cut coils and 15x8/15x10 Tru-spokes on BFG T/As. I was maybe 13 or 14 at the time and my life hasn't been the same since. :-)

P.S. Tattoo Artist Abraham Ortega recently posted this pic of his truck that is nearly identical to the one I saw back in the 70s.

"Writin' my will on a three-dollar bill"

♠ LBCC Arizona ♠

User Info Menu

Growing up in So Cal in the 60's it was hard not to it was a lifestyle. Automotive history was being made and didn't even realize it until later in life.
    I'm still hooked on NHRA Nitro drag racing to this day because of Gary Densham living close by. When he would fire up that funny car outside his house garage and watching them work on the car, it's something i'll never forget.
    "You're gonna get what I give ya" - Piewagon 60

"Absolutely" - Biskit

♠ LBCC High Desert ♠

User Info Menu

I think I was 9 or 10. My friends were obsessed with Testarossa's and Countach's, which I thought were cool but even then I knew they were unobtanium. I would gush about old Buicks, Chevys and Oldsmobiles and they would just look at me like I was an idiot.

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Pedaso View Post
    Growing up in So Cal in the 60's it was hard not to it was a lifestyle. Automotive history was being made and didn't even realize it until later in life.
    I'm still hooked on NHRA Nitro drag racing to this day because of Gary Densham living close by. When he would fire up that funny car outside his house garage and watching them work on the car, it's something i'll never forget.
    Haha!!! good ole Gary Densham.He was my auto shop teacher in high school.He would occasionally have his race car "teacher's pet" there and a '29 model A that got a ground up build at school by students for a few years and turned out pretty nice.He will sometimes show his race cars at the Bellflower car show
    Strays C.C.

♠ LBCC Arizona ♠

User Info Menu

^^^Very cool stuff. It's a small world we live in

Sent from my Maxwell Smart Shoephone
    "You're gonna get what I give ya" - Piewagon 60

"Absolutely" - Biskit

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by UGOTD8 View Post
    I remember it like it was yesterday, a Saturday morning mid-70's walking to the park to play some basketball, turned a corner and there it was. A white '72 C-10 short step-side, cut coils and 15x8/15x10 Tru-spokes on BFG T/As. I was maybe 13 or 14 at the time and my life hasn't been the same since. :-)

P.S. Tattoo Artist Abraham Ortega recently posted this pic of his truck that is nearly identical to the one I saw back in the 70s.

There was a '73 - '87 out here on some wire, probably tru. It was all blue flake, or some really course metallic, with light blue scroll. Slammed. Inline six with straight pipes. My friends thought I was nuts for liking it. I was probably in sixth grade, maybe seventh. Only time I would see it was while skating with my friends around the local shopping centers. I haven't seen it since. As far as local vehicles that I felt a real connection with, this truck was it for me. Details are blurry, but I will never forget that little fleetside.
    MAKE LBCC MESSAGE BOARD RELEVANT AGAIN!

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

The Minitruckin bug got a hold of me in the mid-80's thru the 90's, but I've always loved the clean, simple not over the top low riders. I've always wanted one since LRM shows in the early 90's and I still stick with the same ideas. When it comes down to it, I like all cars and always have since I was a child. If I have a car or not, it will always be a life long love.

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

early teenage years. I had been around drag racing all my childhood, and that was cool, but when I saw a lowrider for the first time, it freaked me out. never forget it. I knew I had to have one.

Imagine being a white kid in rural NY who digs lowriders. It wasn't gonna fly with the local wanna-be boyd garbage and muscle car mustaches of your local cruise nights, and still isnt. I guess its a good thing, I really dont look good in stonewashed jeans or care to have a picture of my own car embroidered on my shirt.
    Ive been doing it wrong.

♠️LBCC Colorado♠️

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by indawaitinroom View Post
    early teenage years. I had been around drag racing all my childhood, and that was cool, but when I saw a lowrider for the first time, it freaked me out. never forget it. I knew I had to have one.

Imagine being a white kid in rural NY who digs lowriders. It wasn't gonna fly with the local wanna-be boyd garbage and muscle car mustaches of your local cruise nights, and still isnt. I guess its a good thing, I really dont look good in stonewashed jeans or care to have a picture of my own car embroidered on my shirt.

LOL @ muscle car mustaches.
    "Writin' my will on a three-dollar bill"

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

1976, when I bought a '63 Impala SS, then a '64 a few months later. Just cruise no burnouts, fun times.

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by indawaitinroom View Post
    or care to have a picture of my own car embroidered on my shirt.
    hahahahahahaha I see this all the time at local cruise nights even funnier when they are selling them

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

My Dad Took me to the Sacramento Auto Rama every year and my Grandfather would take me to local shows when I spent a few weeks during summers with him in the bay, *I always gravitated towards the lowriders and customs. It was a natural thing for me, I knew i was different pretty quick. Growing up in a little Nor Cal community called Elk Grove its pretty much the home of the lifted truck. In high school I'd go to the parties driving past lifted Fords, Chevies, Dodges and jeeps in my dropped 66 Galaxie convert. Not only was I the only lowered vehicle I was the normally the only car!*
    Looking for 65 galaxie back window/cragar starwires!

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

James I remember what elk grove used to look like years ago. How times change.