User Tag List

Thread: body work

Sidewalk Spectator

User Info Menu

body work

Sup fellas I'm starting my body swap this year and I want to know from experience or opinion should I do the body work and then send it to get media blasted or media blast it then do body work?

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Not that I have any personal experience with that, but I'd say blast first, so you know what you're working with. If you start with the body work, chances are high that the blasting will reveal more holes that take you back to body work again.
    KRAZY KRAUTS
    Friends & Family, Cars & Bikes
    KRAUT PIPES SAVE LIVES!

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

without question, strip the body COMPLETE to sheet metal. I'm talking everything... glass, interior, every grommet, gasket, and body plug.... literally everything. Then have it media blasted. Make sure whoever is doing it knows what they are doing because they can also cause you more damage by warping panels from excessive heat, or even blowing extra holes into areas that are still decent.

I'm doing a a complete body off rebuild (thread is on here) and I went through all of this over the summer. I blasted the entire bottom of the body, all jambs, basically everything you can't hit with a DA with ease. The roof, and quarters panels can be cleaned that way. (DA)

In my opinion that is the way to do it as close to 'perfect' as you can. Granted, not everyone has resources to take a build this far, or the funds, but if you do... go for it. The results will be well worth it.

Sidewalk Spectator

User Info Menu

Thanks low n loud I watch your build great work I'm switching bodies on mine it would cost me to much In my opinion to fix the old the rust is everywhere I'm scared to check the roof (vinyl top) and I got a better body for 50bucks so I will go with the knowledge u gave me and go from there I also plan to send in the fenders trunk and hood at the same time

Sidewalk Spectator

User Info Menu

The new body
    Attached Images Attached Images

♠ LBCC Chicagoland ♠

User Info Menu

That body looks to be Primed, Maybe who ever had it before already stripped it? Maybe take some sand paper and see whats under what seems to be primer? That body doesn't look too bad. looks like you might be able to take down all the surface rust and reprime the body. depending on whats under the primer.

Sidewalk Spectator

User Info Menu

It was primed but on the other side above drivers door it is coming off so not sure how good the primer was put on

Sidewalk Spectator

User Info Menu

I would try a strip disc on a small area. will clean primer off quick to see what is under it