User Tag List

Thread: not so fun day at old car auction

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

not so fun day at old car auction

earlier this year I seen as I was driving a sign advertising a storage yard closing and having big garage sale so I stopped in. mostly junk that was cleaned out of old boats and motorhomes that had been in storage for 30 years. but there was a shit load of old cars there that they were waiting for owners to pick up because the city had not renewed the lease with storage company and everything had to go. so I inquired about some old cars 2-65 rivieras, 53 chevy 2 door. 65 el camino, they called the owners for me and handed me the phone to talk to them. they all thought there cars were still worth thousands of dollars even after rusting away for years. did notice another stash of cars but was told they were being picked up by owner. so last month an ad pops up on craigslist by an auction company auctioning some classics and I noticed they were the same cars from that yard. so today was the big auction of supposedly 188 cars the auction company was advertising. they showed photos of around 20 classics to attract a crowd.the other 160 cars were garbage cars from the 1980's. so today got my trailer and some cash and headed to auction. when I got there they announced that they would only be selling 12 cars from the 1980's due to a court order halting the sale, well the owner of the old cars showed up and was there telling the crowd how he got the auction stopped and everything was tied up in court and he was getting his cars back and supposedly several big block chevelles were already stolen from the yard and he was in the process of getting them back also. he had a crowd around him listening to him talk, but I just had to let him know how I felt so I told him he was an idiot for letting these cars sit there for 30 years and rust away and that he deserved to lose the cars and its obvious you owe money for storage or you wouldn't of had a lien put on them. he just turned and walked off. so the 12 junks they auctioned no one bid. auction company said they would call everyone as soon as they get a new date set for another auction. 2.jpg29.jpg1.jpg3.jpg15.jpg

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

the merc is really nice, the 68 chev caprice has a 396 all complete. the morris minor i remember was at a friends ranch 30 years ago, it had a 283 bored to a 301 and was drag raced. motor was still in and complete. several cars had 327's with the double hump fuelie heads. im really thinking these cars all ran 30 years ago because most of the motors are complete. i wanted to buy the 56 chev wagon and a 56 4 door for parts,

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

a.jpgb.jpgd.jpgc.jpg 65 gto and 55 hardtop had me drooling.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

That's pretty heartbreaking. The more time I've spent at private yards, the more I see this kind of thing. There are a few up here in the desert. There's a huge difference between a collector who values the cars and parts(like Conrad, respect) and some hoarder who'll never do anything with them. Such a bummer. But at the end of the day, I guess its people have the freedom to hoard their property and let it rot if they choose.
    "Your car is so low, Bill Hines has to duck to get in." - Trent Sherrill

♠ LBCC High Desert ♠

User Info Menu

I'd love to get my hands on that '57 GMC!

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

gmc only had rust on bottom corners on the cab and lower front fenders. I think it had a V-8.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

I spy with my little eye a Javelin, don't judge my closet AMC fetishes
    Looking for 65 galaxie back window/cragar starwires!

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

james there are 2 of them. one is a mark Donahue edition they said.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Awwwwesome!
    Looking for 65 galaxie back window/cragar starwires!

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by james66g View Post
    I spy with my little eye a Javelin, don't judge my closet AMC fetishes
    Not to worry, I'll bet more than a few of us love the AMC! On that note I saw a super clean Gremlin on the streets of Wisconsin this past week, wish I would of had my phone/camera ready!

Carlow
    My entire life I listened to my dad talk about the 55' Chevy that he and my Mom had gotten married in back in the 60's. The old guy he sold it to parked it behind a barn and refused to sell it, just let it sit and literally rot into the ground. Sad situation when people get into cars just to make money.

Carlow
    I would love to get that 65' goat

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

There are about 5 or 6 junk yards here in the woods of New England where at least the owners are survivors themselves lucky by geography and away from urban development. They salvage out and scrap all the newer shit and they know what they have. They hang on talking about the good old days. Their kids complain about everything and they can't wait to dig holes and shovel dirt on these old folks. It's sad that it's all going away. Of course, this is the Northeast and rust is king.

Nice pictures here... dreams here can be very expensive. Courts, people with unrealistic agenda kinda runs both ways, some want to be curators preserving the past and others think they own gold mines. I'm still glad we're all free to choose. A few of these might get away to something good. I like to dream but it's becoming unaffordable.
    The only thing on my mind is how good she's running. Labels are for those in need of recognition. - Diém