User Tag List

Thread: Air bag wiring problem

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

Air bag wiring problem

I was warming up my car this morning and noticed the air bag compressors we're running for a longer then normal time and I smelled melting wires. I popped the hood and saw fuse for the power to the compressors was all melted to shit. As well as the wire going into the fuse block. The wires were hot to the touch too. The power wire is a high current wire (I forget the gauge wire it is) and It
    Had a 100w fuse. Anyone got an idea of what caused this. Do I need a bigger wire or fuse?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

Not sure how the picture uploaded so huge but you get the idea lol

♠️LBCC Colorado♠️

User Info Menu

Not an expert by any means but after a year of running a pair of 480C compressors thru zero gauge wire with a 60A fuse I haven't had any troubles. Wires never get warm at all.

After checking for the obvious (leaks or shorts) I would consider replacing the pressure switch. Depending on which compressors you are using you might also consider running a smaller fuse. For example my pair of 480Cs are rated at 40A max at peak, hence the 60A fuse. Like I said, not an expert but I'd be concerned about the compressors running longer than normal.

EDIT: looking at the pic again, is it possible the fuse block itself shorted to the fenderwell itself ?
    "Writin' my will on a three-dollar bill"

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

I'll have to check that fuse block it is possible. The fuse never blew in fact it was working just fine other then it starting to melt lol. Each compressor is rated for a 40 amp fuse I had them both wired up to the same power wire with the 100amp fuse thinking that should be good.

♠ LBCC Ambassador ♠

User Info Menu

You mentioned it was running longer than usual. Could the pressure switch be zonked?
    There's no I in barbeque team.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

If the fuse didn't blow then it's too big. That's it's job. Unless the short is in between the fuse block and battery. That part of the wire is not protected by the fuse. There should be a recommended fuse size for your pumps. I wouldn't be surprised to find its supposed to be a 80 amp fuse.
    I would guess wire size, pressure switch, compressor, short, or loose connections at fuse block. --HA, that's pretty much everything, right?

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

That's kinda what I was thinking. I'm gonna put a new wire on with a new fuse and try. 80 amp. And go from there. Thanks for all the help. Wiring is not my forte lol
    Quote Originally Posted by nailedbuick View Post
    If the fuse didn't blow then it's too big. That's it's job. Unless the short is in between the fuse block and battery. That part of the wire is not protected by the fuse. There should be a recommended fuse size for your pumps. I wouldn't be surprised to find its supposed to be a 80 amp fuse.
    I would guess wire size, pressure switch, compressor, short, or loose connections at fuse block. --HA, that's pretty much everything, right?