User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The life/death of message boards in today's social media dominated world.

Carlow
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopped63 View Post
    the sense of community this board once had was powerful in a way that is difficult to explain. The interests and the reasons for those interests are deep and this message board's members reflect that depth.
    #truth

Family history, personal memories, historical data,conceptual design and discussion exists in nearly every significant thread and build.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

I might get on IG once a day and it's cool if you keep up, but I miss a lot of posts because I don't spend the time and scroll for 20 minutes. Also, I find myself not reading the comments on IG and just liking the pics. I've always enjoyed this board because it's more personal and I can keep up with the builds, stories and information. It's more enjoyable to read through a topic, than just scrolling through a bunch of pics. I've been on here for 5 years and it has it's slow and busy times. It's just the way it is. I'll keep coming here everyday though and I'll have a new build thread to share soon!

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chopped63 View Post
    These points are all spot on. I held out on fb because I hate how impersonal it is. I found out my sister was engaged because my wife told me she saw it on fb. Lame. Only relatively recently I got on Instant Gratification and already hate my explorer page, as it seems indicative of the general shallowness of most users. It makes it hard to take seriously as anything other than a tool for quick catching up.

As for this board, I miss it. Life keeps me from ever being able to enjoy actually attending events with the club, but the sense of community this board once had was powerful in a way that is difficult to explain. The interests and the reasons for those interests are deep and this message board's members reflect that depth. Plus, as much as most people are willing to post, people are willing to read. Aside from this post, the posts in this thread exhibit the intellect common to many members here. I believe that intellect is a large part of what makes this a special place. This message board and club have always been interested not just in today, but in yesterday and tomorrow regarding late customs and early lows. It has never been about what looks cool as much as why and how it looks cool. This board encourages greater understanding of a shared interest, which is the pinnacle of community as far as I am concerned. This aspect certainly doesn't exist in the condensed formats of big social media. Another thing I may be repeating is that a message board format encourages expanded thought in the very method of input. When typing, thoughts can sometimes be better organized and presented than in face to face communication. Perhaps the board is for the scholars of custom evolution. In that lies the magic. For better or worse, I will stay, as I have never left. I have just been quiet.
    Brett, this is one of the best posts I've ever read on here. Exactly how I feel.
    "Your car is so low, Bill Hines has to duck to get in." - Trent Sherrill

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Wow. Thank you, Crazeejohn, 73carlow, and Eryk. I often feel out of step or like I just see things too differently, yet here we are. Another reason I like this club and its message board.
    MAKE LBCC MESSAGE BOARD RELEVANT AGAIN!

♠ LBCC British Columbia ♠

User Info Menu

For me personally, and I'm sure others here too, life and responsibilities get in the way of posting on here. It's 11:30 already and I'm just getting to the computer. Not that I've really posted that much anyways...
    But, as everyone else has already said, the message board will never die. It might be slow, but it will never die. It's very different than Facebook and Instagram. The stories and all that go along with the pictures are what make it fun. IG makes it so easy to get bored of looking at the same thing over and over again. Too 15 minutes.

I know that I probably wouldn't be headed in the direction I am with my car now if it wasn't for this board/club.

I always have all these good things to say or points to make and then it all comes out like this and I forget half of what I was going to say. So yeah...

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

I come on the board every day but I don't post so much because I've a serious langage problem.
    Because of this, I'm not pretty involved in the life of the board.
    In the future, I'll try to post more often to help this place to stay alive but you should be indulgent about my bad language
    If you find that my English is shit, blame google translate!

My blog: http://coolrides-jyb.blogspot.com/

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jyb View Post
    I come on the board every day but I don't post so much because I've a serious langage problem.
    Because of this, I'm not pretty involved in the life of the board.
    In the future, I'll try to post more often to help this place to stay alive but you should be indulgent about my bad language
    Don't be shy on posting.... hell, your English is coming across better than half of the stuff I see from people on the internet that speak this as their main language!

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

In today's technology dominated world, you need to adapt fast or fall behind. Message Boards have now been replaced with Facebook groups- which sucks because it's hard to search historical posts or have proper conversations.... plus you have no control over anything. If Facebook decides to make a change, all is lost

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Low n Loud View Post
    Don't be shy on posting.... hell, your English is coming across better than half of the stuff I see from people on the internet that speak this as their main language!
    Too true. College professors have to specify for students to refrain from using text shorthand in papers. It is unbelievable. Illiteracy is an epidemic.
    MAKE LBCC MESSAGE BOARD RELEVANT AGAIN!