User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The life/death of message boards in today's social media dominated world.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

The life/death of message boards in today's social media dominated world.

Most of you know that this club was born and grew out of message boards. The few of us that started LBCC first met on the ****. Then we had our own chat room dealio on myspace. Then we got v1.0 of the LBCC board going. I have no idea what version it's on now. But its been...damn...like almost 10 years. Wow. Times have changed. This board's been quiet for a while. I interact with a lot of guys in Instagram and few on Facebook. But I noticed that LB Facebook is pretty dead too. So I guess my question is this, do you find that message boards don't fit into your daily routine like other social media? Do attribute it to cell phone usage? I kinda do. Because most of my interactions are on mobile devises and I'll be honest...I can't stand messageboards formatted to mobile devises. I hate tappatalk. Times have changed. I used to check this board multiple times a day. Then I left for a long time. Its nice to log on again, but I find that it moves slower than ever. One weekly couple hour session could get me caught up on every new board happening. Makes me wonder if those days are gone forever or if there will ever be a time when discussion starts to ramp back up.
    "Your car is so low, Bill Hines has to duck to get in." - Trent Sherrill

♠ LBCC Arizona ♠

User Info Menu

Here's a good article about message boards and their decline. Apparently it's a thing:
    http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...rds-past/?_r=0

I personally love message boards and can't understand why they are being used less and less. I also really enjoy reading though.
    Instagram is great, but it only tells a part of the story.
    "Knowledge without mileage equals bullshit."
    -Henry Rollins

♠ LBCC Ambassador ♠

User Info Menu

Instant gratification and convenience. We all love eye-candy, hell that's why we're into the style we're into. Instagram caters to that, and it does it on a device you have on you all the time. Photo, flip, photo, flip, photo, flip... flush. Back to work.

The message board format is more time consuming to find the content you want and to post content you have. Thing is, its so much better when a board member puts in the time! I was looking through the 70's Low Rider thread the other day and it blew me away. Stories, photos and what felt like real connections between people. Can't do that on Instagram!

The fact remains, our mobile devices are the preferred and most convenient method of communication and have largely taken over desktop/laptop communications. We're seeing that with the board.

As an aside, though the message board has lost steam the club itself is stronger than ever and has become something much more than an internet-car-club. Members consistently communicate via text and phone calls, help each other out with builds and roll strong to shows. Chicago is growing nicely and Southern California is still the heart and soul. I visited one of the Canadian crews last spring and their lineup was incredibly clean. The Arizona cats are no joke and we nomads rep on the streets of our home towns proudly spreading the gospel of 60's customs while flying the Spade. The Swedes even spent a couple weeks traveling the states spending quality time with other members. Its phenomenal. Have you seen the Member's Rides section on losboulevardos.com lately? <-- what a lineup! Man am I proud to be a member of this club, even if the message board that popularized the name may be fading compared to its activity in the past.

Though new content has diminished, we really have a great backlog of history and style from the past. I've been wondering how we can archive and share that.
    There's no I in barbeque team.

♠ LBCC Chicagoland ♠

User Info Menu

Deff IG and FB have taken away from this board. The only reason that I am so active on here is because I sit at a computer all day (for work). But I am sure if it wasn't for that it would be different. I still go back and look at build threads just to sometimes get ideas and reference on wheels, tires, etc.

I deff enjoyed going out to Santa Maria and putting names to faces and hanging out, deff will try to attend more shows out in cali!

They have tried to block me out of this board at work.... but I find ways hahahaha they cant stop me! (shhhhhhh) lol

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

The site may not be getting as much traffic, but I've heard the opposite complaint about other forums where the board moves too quickly.
    That aside I still think the LBCC message board is very relevant. You don't get in depth interaction and research anywhere else. The board provides a real connection where members discuss all the aspects of our hobby. I don't get to wrench or cruise every day but the board feeds the need even if its brief.
    However, I do see a major change in two ways:
    1) Pictures: Social media had made it easy to catch a glimpse of all the hottest cars, cars shows, cruise nights, art shows ect... all in moments. Instagram skims a lot of the cream right off the top for me cause its real time, and I can see a snapshot of whats going on. But, this doesn't give you interaction and connection with the hobby in any real way.
    2) Saturation. Everyone is different, and some don't even have a saturation point but i definitely do. It was a combination of seeing so many amazing cars online, and hearing so many opinions (valid ones) about, wheels, colors, ride hight, bags vs lifts, skinny vs wide whites, rake vs level, 60's, early 60's, mid 60's, late 60's, lowrider, custom, ahhhhhhhhhh! I found myself a little numb and almost lost the buzz for a moment.
    But then i realized thats why i love all this. I'm seriously addicted to cars and love the cruise like crazy. And thats also whats great about this board, there are opinions a plenty but in a forum that gives you all the room for expression in your car that one could possibly need. I have benefited IMMENSELY from the content on this site, simply from a history/ knowledge perspective, its way more then just pictures and build threads, its a living verbal history lesson. This site has fit a niche for me that no other site has. I really enjoy coming here even tho most of you don't know me.

Side Note:
    Im a bit slower on the draw with posting and build threads ect..mostly cause I have my family to look after, my business, and then my car comes in distant 3rd 4th. But I just bought another 62' 500 XL. Started the tear down yesterday. Been saving up some pictures so i can make a build thread that actually keeps moving. But sounds like nows the time. I willing to pitch in more and keep some fresh content to the site. Thanks LBCC
    -Terry
    Oceanside

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Dammmm..... I'm still in the stone age using a flip phone. I need to get with the times and see what this insta gram and other modern things are all about.

♠ LBCC Nor Cal ♠

User Info Menu

Great post Eryk. I think Alex hit the nail on the head pretty firmly, so I only have a few things to add. In general, I love the long form of Message Boards, I dig the sense of community, the in-jokes, the back and forth that you don't see other places on the web. I hadn't been a big fan of social media but I dig IG, it's been cool to check in on old friends that aren't around on the board any more and I appreciate the convenience of posting a quick pic. I've got a long history with message boards, I helped run a dial up BBS way back when I was a kid, and for the most part the things that make a forum like this haven't changed much. The best part of the old BBS days was the monthly meetups, and it's funny how this board and other web-based communities have followed the tradition of their nerdier predecessors. There have been times this board moved too quick, times I felt we had too many new members too quick to feel like a community, and this period seems to be the reverse of it. I know that I personally haven't updated my build threads in a while so I suppose I'm part of the problem.

I will add this: as an administrator here I've been looking at ways to make the forum more user-friendly. We integrated Tapatalk a while back, which some people love, and are looking into ways to make uploading pictures even easier. As a user- what features would you like to find here that would make it easier for you to use the forum?

♠ LBCC So Cal ♠

User Info Menu

I quit posting just cuz it's a big hassle to upload pics

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

Just as the The **** gave birth to Boulevardos, this board gave birth to Tangiers and for that I will forever be thankful.

With that being said, I'll have to echo everyone else who mentioned the ease of use of IG. Sometimes we just wanna dumb it down and look at pictures, same as with any nudie mag - who want's to read the articles? However, this board offers a wealth of knowledge that can't be substituted by any hashtag and therefore I find myself coming back here and checking up at least once a week.
    The coyote of the desert likes to eat the heart of the young and the blood drips down to his children for breakfast, lunch and dinner and only the ribs will be broken.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

I think Flatbroke hit the nail on the head...

For me, as the new guy around here, I joined since meeting Messer & some of the Tangiers crew and they referred me here after I explained to them my current build. They did say the board has died down a bit since Instagram, but I do not use that outlet of social media. I use FB but that's about it.
    I do spend alot of time in front of a desktop during the day and I do prefer forums... great place to share ideas, visions, and stories with like minded individuals in a much greater depth than that you could on social media.

So... that being said, I'll keep updating my build thread on here even though I may be talking to myself half of the time. LOL.

♠ LBCC Arizona ♠

User Info Menu

Great points guys.
    Pretty much how I see it, for what it's worth lol:

Facebook: Can't really comment cause I'm not on it. Hear the word drama used quite often though

IG: pics, upcoming car shows, events and keeping in touch with friends, short and sweet

The board: Great information past and present, more info and detail that can't be expressed on IG or Facebook.
    "You're gonna get what I give ya" - Piewagon 60

"Absolutely" - Biskit

♠ LBCC Arizona ♠

User Info Menu

The information accumulated on this site is pretty significant to the style of cars we've all grown to love. 15,000 people have viewed the thread about Larry Watson. Wow, isn't that cool to think about how that has possibly impacted someone who had never heard of him before? I can't tell you how many times I've used the search to find info on something I had an idea about, or wanted to learn more about... So thanks for all those who've taken the time to tell a story on here.
    "Knowledge without mileage equals bullshit."
    -Henry Rollins

Carlow
    Just deleted my Facebook page and I am digging the instant gratification of Instagram.

I was stoned and laid off while the LB board was blowing up! Good times, but if you weren't there I think you missed it! The biggest thing that happened to this board is all of us actually got to know one another in person and started talking, texting and driving all over hell and back to hang out with one another.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Its easy to see the latest of what's happening on Instagram, but man, nothing beats seeing some of these build threads that go back a few years and seeing the progress , the ups and downs, and watching the vehicle take shape. It's like reading a good book, with some really awesome pictures in it!

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
    62' Buick Lesabre

♠ Chicago Chapter ♠

User Info Menu

I also spend a good amount of time at work in front of a computer and still check the board a few times a week to see if there is anything new. I've gotten to know some good people through the board that I would have never meet through Instagram or FB. I also regularly look through old threads for ideas and research. It's funny I sometimes go back and look at my own build thread since this is only place I have it really documented. I do agree that the instant gratification of IG is great and I'm all about it, but when I want substance I come here.
    Fuckin a Right!

♠ LBCC High Desert ♠

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hardtop59 View Post
    Dammmm..... I'm still in the stone age using a flip phone. I need to get with the times and see what this insta gram and other modern things are all about.
    I can top that I'm still using a rotary-dial telephone. But Jeff, DON'T DO IT!!! Things that are quick and easy lose their reward value just as quick. Someone important (I can't remember who and don't want to take the time to look it up) once said something like "With each new technical innovation there came a corresponding drop in the quality of life." I have a 10 year old telephone and a desktop computer. (and NO television) The phone works really good for calling people and talking to them, and is easy to use -- and the computer works great but I can't make phone calls on it. (or watch streaming video).

This board works really well for anybody who is willing to sit down and type out their own thoughts and stories, such as on build threads and so forth where a person wants to add detailed narrative information (and photos) for the benefit of other like-minded individuals on the board. Unfortunately, it seems that fewer and fewer people want to spend the time typing out their original thoughts these days (due to the simplistic ease of use and corresponding decline in functionality of things like Facebook and instagram). This fact is borne out by the fact that there are many, many people on Facebook have NEVER ONCE typed out their own heartfelt thoughts by applying fingers to keyboard. Why do it when you can search out a canned, funny meme that expresses something "close enough" to what you are feeling (and probably contains typographical and grammatical errors as well)?

Ok I'm rambling now. And I'm not even stoned, haha!! So the bottom line is yes, there is a problem. What is the solution? I don't know but I am going to personally make a difference by stepping up my game on this board. This board is for the benefit of EVERYONE on it and I'm not going to stand by and watch it slowly die. You guys are going to get sick of reading my posts. It'll be like the old days when I was trying to build my post count by posting two and three times a day. I promise!! Anyone else care to join me?

J.
    1969 Mercury Montego MX -- ¡Cállate la boca!
    Roach Motel II -- 1968 Fairlane 500 Wagon

"Two on the street is worth more than 20 on the board." -- 64sled

♠ LBCC Skinny Jeans ♠

User Info Menu

Wow John
    That made sense in a (wtf...didn't expect this from a crazy stoner dude) way. But it really made a lot of sense. I'm with you john
    I don't do build threads, I just build.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Right on! Good responses.

John, I feel you brother.
    "Your car is so low, Bill Hines has to duck to get in." - Trent Sherrill

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

These points are all spot on. I held out on fb because I hate how impersonal it is. I found out my sister was engaged because my wife told me she saw it on fb. Lame. Only relatively recently I got on Instant Gratification and already hate my explorer page, as it seems indicative of the general shallowness of most users. It makes it hard to take seriously as anything other than a tool for quick catching up.

As for this board, I miss it. Life keeps me from ever being able to enjoy actually attending events with the club, but the sense of community this board once had was powerful in a way that is difficult to explain. The interests and the reasons for those interests are deep and this message board's members reflect that depth. Plus, as much as most people are willing to post, people are willing to read. Aside from this post, the posts in this thread exhibit the intellect common to many members here. I believe that intellect is a large part of what makes this a special place. This message board and club have always been interested not just in today, but in yesterday and tomorrow regarding late customs and early lows. It has never been about what looks cool as much as why and how it looks cool. This board encourages greater understanding of a shared interest, which is the pinnacle of community as far as I am concerned. This aspect certainly doesn't exist in the condensed formats of big social media. Another thing I may be repeating is that a message board format encourages expanded thought in the very method of input. When typing, thoughts can sometimes be better organized and presented than in face to face communication. Perhaps the board is for the scholars of custom evolution. In that lies the magic. For better or worse, I will stay, as I have never left. I have just been quiet.
    MAKE LBCC MESSAGE BOARD RELEVANT AGAIN!

♠ LBCC High Desert ♠

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chopped63 View Post
    [The] posts in this thread exhibit the intellect common to many members here. I believe that intellect is a large part of what makes this a special place. This message board and club have always been interested not just in today, but in yesterday and tomorrow regarding late customs and early lows.
    I know, right? This is what originally drew me (and probably others) to this board and to the club, and to wanting to be a part of the club.

And,

Quote Originally Posted by Chopped63 View Post
    It has never been about what looks cool as much as why and how it looks cool. This board encourages greater understanding of a shared interest, which is the pinnacle of community as far as I am concerned. This aspect certainly doesn't exist in the condensed formats of big social media. Another thing I may be repeating is that a message board format encourages expanded thought in the very method of input. When typing, thoughts can sometimes be better organized and presented than in face to face communication. Perhaps the board is for the scholars of custom evolution. In that lies the magic.
    Amen to that. Well said Brett.
    1969 Mercury Montego MX -- ¡Cállate la boca!
    Roach Motel II -- 1968 Fairlane 500 Wagon

"Two on the street is worth more than 20 on the board." -- 64sled