User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1964 Pontiac Bonneville - this dingo stole your custom

Newb

User Info Menu

This car rules. Can't wait to see it finished.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Thanks man! I'm stinging to get it done- hopefully for our next Summer (12 months)
    Pork Hunt Motorsport - Central Coast, Australia
    1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

Get er done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    All I want to do is cruise an obscenely over sized vehicle while consuming our precious fossil fuels at an alarming rate.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Accuair E-level shiz turned up at work today... but the compressors are on back-order My ENDO tank should be here some time in January so I'm guessing it'll all get delivered then.

The rear quarter panel rust repair sections have been marked as posted from the USA so hopefully I'll see them before New Years (US post works about 400,000% faster than Australia Post).

I picked up my Car Builders soundproofing and will strip the interior over Christmas to apply it and get the car ready for the workshop. I will also hopefully have my new rear bumper and '64 Grand Prix taillights to freshen the back up a bit

The barge will be going on a tow truck January 16 so I've got a bit to do before then...
    1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

I have been staying with my olds over the Xmas break so i got into this thing a few hours at a time. The first step was wiping it down and giving it a clean

I pulled the interior out. The whole loom and dash will go. I removed all the airbag and stereo wiring, and those gauges

I measured up my BF Ford Falcon thermo fan

And removed some rear trim (trunk chrome now gone too)

For some unknown reason i decided to put the Cragar S/S 15s back on. I am wondering if i should get these stripped and powdercoated - i dont like the fact they arent hubcentric and use elongated mounting holes for the lug nuts.

I found this cool window plaque hiding in the trunk

I pulled the factory tar up and only found 2 very small spots of rust 2-ish-mm across. I have used KBS AquaKleen and RustBlast to prepare the metal. Once it has dried out fully i will paint the floors and then stick the insulation down.

I stripped the rest of the interior trim, stereo and airbag wiring as i will redo all that. Thankfully the doorcards dont look too bad and i think i could get away with some new carpet across the bottom of them for the time being... ill probably end up just getting them retrimmed as my front seat needs foam, springs and covers

I was going to shave the door handles but will just do the locks now as i have had an idea for a button system to open the doors

I also pulled the front airline as i am going to install a fitting to allow me to manually air the front up for when it goes on the towtruck to Newie. It is going to get all new airlines anyway so no biggie doing this
    1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

So i only got about 30mins on this today before i was knocked out by a bloody virus ive picked up.

Some presents turned up from the USA. These are in impossibly better shape than my old ones so was easier and cheaper to buy them in (ill likely buy a new front bumper in from this guy too)

I removed the tee-piece that ran between the front airbags as i am going from a front/back system to a four-corner one with independent controls. I get that front/back systems are popular as they are simple but they drive like shit compared to a proper f/b/s/s setup (im also doing new shocks).

New push-to-connect and Nitto fitting on

Now in access mode ready for the towtruck in mid-January.

I need to spend a couple more days fixing 2 rust pinholes in the floor, removing some of the old air gear and all the wiring and dash. Thats going to be a crunch as my weekends are now taken up with Summernats (the biggest car show in Australia and one i work at for Street Machine Magazine as a journalist) or work but ill get it done.
    1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Oh yeah and its been +40degrees Celcius here in Australia. Swamp ass ahoy!
    1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

I am back down in Sydney and away from the car again so i am going to look at the next big issue: paint! I reckon a pearl white roof is mandatory as i just like that clean look.

Body colour i am leaning towards is a proper '50s spearmint as below... possibly satin.

Or a satin gold maybe.

I dont want a huge amount of effects in the paint so i was thinking of something simple, maybe like C-pillar panels.

And wheels are going to be either Radirs or maybe the stock 15s with Cadillac hubcaps

Also, the rough idea i had for door handles (needs a drain and another support)

1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

We have had a week of +110-120deg days and nights down to low 90s so I am 100% putting air conditioning in this barge. In a big car I am going to need a lot of cooling grunt so what system do I use? Of course, there are no aftermarket kits to suit '61-'64 full-size Pontiacs out there so I'll be making my own "kit" to suit, which works out better for me in some regards as I can source a modern Sanden compressor and a condensor locally to save a bit on freight.

Option 1 is to buy a Vintage Air Gen IV Magnum set-up, including dash vents & controls. These guys have compressor brackets to suit Pontiac V8, a range of different styles of outlets to suit hot rod/street machine/truck, heaps of fittings and hose options and more. It's almost a bit overwhelming when working out what specs of parts I'll need to use in my car so I printed out sections of the catalogue that relate to what I'm doing, put together a parts list, cross-referenced it off Vintage Air's kit for a '63-'64 Impala and then emailed them to double-check it needed do what I need it to.

With the mark-up Aussie distributors charge ($2000AUD minus compressor/condensor/lines/etc) it was line-ball on whether it was going to be cheaper to just buy it from the USA and get it put into a container coming over to Sydney. In the end I just bought the evaporator locally and am importing the smaller parts.

Gen IV Magnum:
    http://www.vintageair.com/2016%20Cat...talog%2044.pdf

Impala kit:
    http://www.vintageair.com/2016%20Cat...talog%2025.pdf

I also looked at getting the guys at Resto Mod Air to piece together a kit with their evaporator, lines, bulkhead connector, controls and outlets. These guys are based in Texas, are much newer on the scene than Vintage Air, but also have great quality finishes on their products. They don't do a complete kit as such, and they're expensive, but the quality of the parts they use seems to be top notch from what I saw at SEMA. They have an awesome Bluetooth-controlled A/C set-up, but the bad news is you're looking at over $2kUSD ($3500+AUD once freighted) without compressor or condenser or freight. Yeouch. Too rich for my blood

http://www.restomodair.com/shopprodu...ioning-system/

For the picture book kids who don't like reading, here is a pic of a sweet '57 Caddy on Radirs.

1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

I spent a couple of days at the olds place getting the barge ready to go to United Speed Shop.

I pulled the dashboard and whizzed it back to bare metal, then covered it in Oxytech Easy Phos which will stop any rust forming. I tried painting the ashtray and glovebox in a couple of different "mint green" options but neither worked out how i liked.

I also removed the heater and blower motor, full wiring loom, gauges and cluster. Ive ordered Vintage Air Magnum Gen IV unit so hopefully thatll keep me cool!

Today i rolled the big barge out of the garage for the first time since July 2015, and it is now residing in Newcastle, 2hrs north of Sydney.

1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Aaaaaaaaand the Vintage Air unit turned up at work while I was off yesterday. Ordered 530pm on Friday, at work before 10am on Monday!

1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Some phone updates from my mate Ryan working on the barge (in a 120degF heatwave we've had for the last month).

The gaping hole in the quarter has been closed up

The exhaust has been started and should be fully finished up by the end of this week

Floors painted ahead of being sound-proofed

More Vintage Air goodies turned up. Given the weather we've had for the last month I'm stoked I decided to run air con in the barge!
    1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Hey kids! Bulk update time...

Ryan has been busy on my nugget despite the heat. He's pulled the old air tank, valves, controller and gauge out, getting ready to install the new Accuair ENDO-VT tank and new twin Viair 480C compressors, plus F/B/S/S air lines. Well, he will install it whenever AirRide.com.au get me the fucking tank - it was meant to be here January so I paid up front. No tank, no news. Other people are getting their tanks so I'm starting to really get the shits about the complete lack of updates about where my (expensive) shit is.

He hung the front guards and tucked the wheels up to check clearance for the new exhaust. This thing had a single system (using a crossover behind the block to passenger side, down to a Y-pipe) so it's all new.

Ryan has tacked up the front of the exhaust, including this mint cross-over.

The exhaust will dump before the diff - should sound good with these Magnaflow c****ers plus the long-branch headers

They string-lined it to check ground clearance when aired out

Ryan re-made this patch panel as my attempts were fucking abysmal. I'm getting him to shave the factory trim that runs around the base of the C-pillar, smoothing out the back of the car a bit (I like the mild custom look)

He's also painted the floor and will get onto the sound proofing and wiring next week

More of my Vintage Air A/C gear turned up. The quality of their hand-made compressor bracket looks awesome.

Ryan worked out my BF thermo fan wasn't going to fit so he has ordered a 16" SPAL and had this neat custom shroud laser cut. I'll get him to powdercoat it gloss black like the rest of the engine bay.

Wiring is the next big job

My front inner guards are off being powder coated, wiring is being laid-out, i have an Optima Yellow Top D34 battery going in the boot, a solenoid to open said boot from a WB Statesman, etc etc.

Ryan is getting a blanking plate for the firewall for my heater core/air con laser cut and will powdercoat it up like the fan shroud he has also done. Below is the condenser/fan/drier mount

He also painted up the exhaust and will wrap it to keep the heat down as it sits really close to the floor. He also remade my trans crossmember to give me a touch more space under there too.

1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

looking good man, nice work
    Merry Christmas, SHITTERS Full

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Looking good.

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

Well I can see your not bored, been seeing more and more featured Aussie cars, on tv som club called the eldorados getting a lot of tv time. I watch every auto show whether my type or not. Always open to learning. You sure are bring that poncho to life

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

I know Des, Ryan and some of the guys from the Eldorados, through mutual friends. They have a wild time at Chopped!

Ryan has been working on packaging all the A/C gear in the front-end, plus the trans oil cooler, so I ran the nose panels up to him today.

The A/C condenser mount has been dummied up so Ryan and Jake can sort out lines, fittings and drier placement. Thankfully there is a recess in the factory radiator panel which suits the drier size

The wiring is almost all done and Jake has done an amazing job - better than any factory GM loom! The Vintage Air Gen IV Magnum evap unit is dummy fitted to check for clearance. It looks like i won't have space for a glovebox so i will be buying a Retro Sound headunit to replace the stock analogue radio

Ryan finished off the single biggest, most complex rust patch. It doesnt show in the pic but this has multiple angles and folds in the one piece

The laser cut pieces for my thermo fan (attached) and the blanking plate for the A/C bulkhead lines will get powdercoated next week and be ready to fit up.

More updates next week...
    1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

Great car and a great build!

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Thanks mate!

So i finally got my Accuair ENDO-VT (valve + tank) from a different supplier. It is sexual chocolate!

1964 Pontiac Bonneville

♠️LBCC Colorado♠️

User Info Menu

Very cool. Can't wait to see how that endo VT works out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    "Writin' my will on a three-dollar bill"