User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1964 Pontiac Bonneville - this dingo stole your custom

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

DISCLAIMER: this post doesn't have any beer in the pics. I know, I know. You're not mad, you're disappointed. Truth be told, I'm disappointed in myself. I've let the team down and will work hard on ensuring I capture the alcohol consumed during my trips to the shed in future posts. Once I get onto the bodywork you bet your sweet (collective) arse I'll be drinking heavily. Because I hate bodywork and paint. Mechanicals are easy; this is leisure drinking. Bodywork is power-chugging beers to dull the stinging acidic hatred coursing through my veins at doing that job. I'll do better next time, I promise, guys.

Had an hour to pull some more bits off this last night. Given I've now got 6 jobs I have precious little time to dick around with working on my own car, so I won't be able to do a proper inspection (in daylight where I can actually see things) and clean up the motor for another fortnight.

I don't think this is a stock timing chain...

I'm still tossing up whether or not to do a full rebuild at this point as it all seems to be in really really good nick and I'm hesitant to mess with something that doesn't need to be pulled apart any further.
    Pork Hunt Motorsport - Central Coast, Australia
    1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

I used oven cleaner to clean this thing up last night. Just chipping away at little jobs before I can handball it off to someone to build...

1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

An update covering October, Nov and half of December...

TH400 trans dropped at Central Coast Automatics for the rebuild and should be done in around a fortnight (they cant start for another week and a half).

Organised to drop block, crank, heads, pistons and rods off too.

So 6 weeks later and my TH400 was rebuilt. Those blokes went above and beyond on it, couldnt be happier with the job or price. I painted the trans and have all new bolts for the Aeromotive deep pan. I also got fresh lines and fittings for the Davies Craig cooler.

I want to make a new trans mount, but that all has to wait til the motor is built. Ive got a dipstick, torque convertor and shift linkages sorted.

The motor needs a 60-thou bore which means i can use off the shelf 400cui pistons,which will work better with the #92 late '60s heads ill be running. The Armasteel crank has been machined and needs 20/20 undersize bearings too.

My new block mounted starter and con rod bolts showed up from Summit 2months overdue, and i have a spare Isky Racing Cam for sale as its too small for my build

I did reorganise the garage today with dad too. Felt good to tidy shit up and be in here for the first time in 5.5 weeks!

Mounted trans cooler.
    Started cutting rust out of the roof.
    Welded up the aerial hole.
    Oh yeah, bought a MIG and TIG.

And a half decent compressor/air sander/spray guns/etc. Picked a colour. Will get onto fixing the bodywork over Xmas and the New Year... that means a new colour is coming, too. Was thinking Spruce Mica with white roof. Or BMW Kingfisher Blue on the body.

Go my Keith Black 400cui pistons in the mail yesterday. Just waiting on my ARP con rod bolts I ordered back in Sept. Pro tip - never ship ANYTHING with iParcel. They're f**king useless.

Found a couple of pics from 2010. Damn she looked good back then

Last edited by Mr Crispyville; 12-14-2015 at 02:49 PM.
    1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Carlow
    L

[/QUOTE]

Pretty much my dream car right here..

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Hola, amigos. Some updates for y'all.

January and I was surprised by a call informing me that the boys had my short motor together after they had been smashed building race engines for various guys:
    Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post

*** more delays from race cars****

April:
    Dan and Phil (the guys building the engine) needed spacers for the water pump divider plate as i changed from an 8 bolt to an 11 bolt pump, but i also needed a PCV grommet, universal alternator mount and timing case bolt sleeves so ordered it all from Wade at BOP Engineering.

The Peninsular boys are now setting up the 1.65 ratio rockers but are having issues with pushrod length and getting them seated properly on the roller tip. Also the end all had to be milled to fit, because quality American aftermarket parts.

Should be running in a month or so though.

1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Oh yeah. In February I bought a 1968 Roadrunner. 440/4speed, original Hemi Orange (had a repaint). Bit of a laugh.

1964 Pontiac Bonneville

♠ LBCC High Desert ♠

User Info Menu

Nice to see you're making progress on the Poncho! The Plymouth is pretty sweet

BTW, was that your Ute in one of the earlier pics??

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

thanks Bob I can't wait to have it back on the road. It's a long way off, though, as I've started cutting rust out and am looking at new wheel options.

Yep that is my daily driver ute. 6L with some mods, vinyl wrapped and 6-speed manual. Just bought another late model LS1/6speed Commodore to use as a project car for a magazine I write for
    1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

nice updates glad to see your making progress

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Sooooooo... that "project car snowball" effect I have talked about before... yeah.... that's roaring downhill now. I'll save detailed descriptions of what is going on until after it is all done to stave off boredom.It does involve '63 front guards, '64 Grand Prix grille, '65 Riviera headlights and lots of shaving of trim.

1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

My engine builder sent me these pics with "come get it". Ŭeeeeeeewwwwwww!!!!!

1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

Fucking finally!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    All I want to do is cruise an obscenely over sized vehicle while consuming our precious fossil fuels at an alarming rate.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Not quite in properly yet (one mount is off by literally 0.25in) but still feels great to have the donk back!!!!

1964 Pontiac Bonneville

♠ LBCC Arizona ♠

User Info Menu

Looking good. Love the r32 as well.
    "Knowledge without mileage equals bullshit."
    -Henry Rollins

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

So. Friday i picked up the motor from Dan and Phil at Peninsula Engine Services on Sydney's northern beaches. I then drove the 100km up to my parent's house in Ourimbah on the NSW Central Coast.

They had already broken the cam in on their run stand so I ran through their break in proceedure. It is filled with fresh Brad Penn oil due to the BP zinc content. I have to do 500km and change oil filter, then change oil at 1000km. It needs heaps of load and the boys said not to be shy "giving it the bejeesus".

I got the engine straight out of the ute and into* position just to check it was all going to fit. Thankfully the boys kept my old engine mounts as the 1964 Bonneville ones i bought from Summit are totally wrong and are apparently for later model Ponchos.

Job done for Friday night

Turns out i almost had it right but had to call it for the night as i was up early Saturday to rip a mate's bathroom out for his house renovations. I got back into it last night by pulling the motor, installing the B&M torque convertor and bolting the new trans to the new motor.

I put my load leveller on it but that broke (chinese tool quality!!!) so i had to remove the headers and finesse it in haha. She went together like a gem and i have the rear of the trans sitting on the crossmember.

I have to drain the full tank of fuel in the car as i dont want to mess with stale fuel. The "to do" list currently sits as such;

- make new transmission mount
    - get new tailshaft made
    - install new universal wiring harness
    - make exhaust from headers back
    - plumb motor for heater/coolant hoses
    - install radiator, thermo fan & core
    - plumb fuel system
    - fit Lokar throttle cable, kickdown, trans shifter, etc
    - get carburettor tuned
    - buy an air filter & housing
    - paint rocker covers
    - refit front end
    - media blast and powdercoat inner guards, bumper bracket and shock mount bar
    - fit new front shocks
    - shedskids
    Last edited by Mr Crispyville; 07-23-2016 at 09:21 PM.
    1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Spent a couple of days working on the barge. So on Friday i lifted the roller door at my parent's house and this is what greeted me.

I procrastinated by painting my rocker covers. Ill tape up the fins and Edelbrock script and do the rest of the covers Pontiac blue with leftover Duplicolor.

I had to make an extender for the transmission mount as the TH400's mount is further up the box (towards the front) than the Super-Hydramatic's (which was right at the back).

I made it out of a piece of thick-wall box section, cut into 3 pieces, welded together and them cut down so i could access the bolts. The bolts were a saga as my reproduction mount had 2 different sized threads! Both pitch and diameter of the bolts are different on left to right thread so i spent around 2hours searching for 2 damn bolts!

My mount is not pretty but I'm a self taught welder and i havent done much fab work before so i wanted to make it strong and align correctly before worrying about aesthetics.*

I have spare tube so i think ill make a 2nd one with some refinements the current one will do for now as the car is still rolling.w

I also wanted to pull all the old wiring out which (after 52 years) was pretty janky and messy. So i stripped the loom and welded up the holes in the firewall. Ill cut new holes for the new loom, a universal 21 circuit job sitting on my shelf here.

The original loom plugs;

Filled it up and shaved the ignitor off the firewall as i have an aftermarket Summit unit ill put under the dash

After i get the wiring sussed out ill get a new tailshaft made and start on the exhaust. Because it sits so low im thinking of doing oval tube (if i can find it to buy).

My inner guards are in the back of my ute off to get blasted and powdercoated by Scotty at Oxytech Powder Coating, as is a bunch of other bracketry. I already had my radiator support panel and bonnet hinges done in gloss black and they turned out great.

Mmmm shiny

Once the wiring is done ill paint strip my front guards, bonnet and nosecone, then prime them up ready to paint. I am thinking of painting the car the original teal/mint colour which i discovered when cleaning dirt off the top of the firewall.

I would also like to update my suspension to run twin Viair 444 compressors and an Accuair VU4 valve block. New shocks and tyres are also required ASAP but until the car is driving ill leave them be.

But, for now, old mate sleeps...

1964 Pontiac Bonneville

♠️LBCC Colorado♠️

User Info Menu

Looking good, great progress!
    "Writin' my will on a three-dollar bill"

♠ LBCC Arizona ♠

User Info Menu

Very cool. Thanks for keeping your thread going man.
    "Knowledge without mileage equals bullshit."
    -Henry Rollins

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Thanks blokes - progress can be hard to take when I have multiple jobs and live 80miles away from the garage the car is in.

Itching to have it done - I almost considered selling my Road Runner and putting the funds into the Pontiac haha.
    1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

So I've been driving my '68 Plymouth Road Runner around and that's quite nice, but it really just makes me miss this car - I'd really prefer to be driving this thing than the Plymouth.

So I've decided to get this thing bloody well finished, and this means (due to lack of time and skills on my behalf) sending it to a mate's hot rod shop in Newcastle (an hour north of where it is now) in late January - www.unitedspeedshop.com

I bought a 4L tin of All-U-Need primer way back in June 2015 and will be sending that with the car. The plan is to hopefully get the body in primer (tinted straight white... or maybe a spearminty green), paint the roof pearl white and do the jambs, door inners and underside of main panels in the new body colour, then throw it back together and cruise it around until I can do a proper paint job on the body.

The newfound verve for the Bonneville means the parts accumulation has started again. I found new hand-made lower rear quarters off eBay USA for $165USD each and, given the length of the things, I consider getting them including shipping for $650AUD something of a bargain given it comes from a guy renowned for making excellent parts for these cars. That will hopefully make it easier for some of the rust repair work this thing needs - the rest will be all done by men with talent (ie: not me).

Other jobs I'm wanting United to do include making a new tailshaft, making a new exhaust and doing sound deadening/heat proofing through the cabin using Aussie-made Car Builders products. www.carbuilders.com.au

I've also decided to install aftermarket air conditioning so, as I'm already doing a new aftermarket loom anyway, I'm going to pull the dashboard and old heater/blower out, paint the dash and get a new top made (along with a new parcel shelf). With the dash out it'll make it much easier to fit the new loom and A/C, too. I'll do that before the car goes to Ryan as I can do all that work... and he is a mate, and mates don't make mates crawl around under old dashboards doing wiring. Mate.

Final piece of the puzzle will be redoing the air suspension and handbrake so I have the faintest hope in hell of getting the car engineered for road use on New South Wales' upcoming modified classic car rego scheme. This means I'll be fitting new lines, valves and compressors as my current basic front/back system is in no way legal for that rego scheme.

I'll be changing the lines to be predominantly hardline along the chassis rails, ending with flexi line down to the bag, much like how brake lines are done. I'll also be fitting the height-sensing (and load-levelling) Accuair E-level system to make it legal and able to be engineer-approved. I've got plenty of friends using this gear and it's good stuff, even though it isn't cheap: http://airide.com.au/collections/aut...touchpad-model

On top of this Accuair have released their new ENDO series tanks that have the valves positioned inside the tank itself (ENDO-VT), but I'm really interested in the ENDO-CVT they are releasing mid next year which has both compressor AND valves in the tank. I had a good look at them at SEMA and they're a super cool piece of kit - http://endo.accuair.com/ Because I want my car done soon, and because you will be able to upgrade the "VT" to the "CVT" I'm happy to do a bit of double-handling in the short term.

This is how it looks now...

this is how I want to get it back to looking (just in a different body colour)
    1964 Pontiac Bonneville