User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1964 Pontiac Bonneville - this dingo stole your custom

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Merry Christmas, SHITTERS Full

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

He won't let me draw up any designs for a fancy roof.

Iain's a big jerk like that... hahaha

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Im too plain for that stuff. Yes i am a basic bitch haha.

If you can convince Sarah to do a roof then I am sold
    Pork Hunt Motorsport - Central Coast, Australia
    1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

So i have to fix this to drive a 2000 mile round trip in late June. Best i do *something* about the cancer, lack of tunes, shitty wiring and lack of rego....

My Mooneyes steering wheel is on

Aaaaaaand then i took a grinder to my car. (I puckered right up cutting into it). Have to trim it up more but I hit it with KBS Rust Blast to stave off the cancer.

More to come next week...

1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

More work...

I tidied up the cuts, did more rust proofing and started forming up the patch panels (i also bought a sheet of metal to patch them).

I cut the patch panels and then got into the inner sections. I cleaned the cavities up more and laid down some Rust Seal.

Got the stereo working. Only slightly failed by getting a head unit with only 1 preout not the 3 i needed. Whatever. Itll do to get past the road trip I'm doing and i'll add subs later.

I have been struggling with some wiring maladies. Jeez such a mystery... not

More tins required...
    1964 Pontiac Bonneville

♠ LBCC Nor Cal ♠

User Info Menu

Gawdamn that's some scary rust, good luck.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Looks like a daunting task! That steering wheel though!

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Cheers guys. Isn't too bad. Whole car needs going through as there's little pockets of rust everywhere, plus the paint is pretty gacked after 50 years.

I'll do a full respray, de-rust and fix up later on (also need to replace all the chrome, YEOUCH) but for now I'm just concentrating on fixing the worst of it in time for this wedding in a few weeks time.
    1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

The patching and general struggling continues. I spent a bit of time with the big girl on Saturday in between beer, being crook and seeing people. Having to work at Retro Speedfest all Sunday killed my vibe a bit too

I started with the big patch and cut the bottom of the c pillar to get at the cancer. Theres more in the side rails but ill get to that some other time.

I then had to put a bend in it so i made cardboard templates and bend it using a bessa block, timber and a hammer. Somehow i didnt cock it up much.

I migged it all up, had to mess around with second fill piece but it all went ok. Also welded in the other side and got it ground back. No pics as i cbf using a camera today.

Its not pretty but it will do for now. I Will bog it up and paint it thursday
    1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Almost done bar a lick of filler, hifill, and paint. Im also having bad thoughts about Orbit Orange body and pearl white roof...

1964 Pontiac Bonneville

♠ LBCC British Columbia ♠

User Info Menu

Coming along nicely! That's a scary place for rust repair.
    Orange and white is pretty tasty. There was one time when I was thinking about tangerine with a red roof...

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Great progress on a great car!
    "Your car is so low, Bill Hines has to duck to get in." - Trent Sherrill

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Cheers guys.

Had a mystery gremlin that killed my ignition circuit since Sunday. Trying to workout wtf went wrong. Replacing headlight switch, ignition switch and will probably end up just ripping the entire damn wiring loom out and doing a new one haha. Don't need this stress a few days before I'm meant to drive it 2000miles!
    1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

We have Aussie rego! For nearly $900USD i get to drive my car on local roads for 12months. The plates are $100aud/yr alone on top of that amount too.

Given the full CARB-spec roadworthiness test (that i was meant to do) it isnt just paying lots of money and drive any old car on our roads. Thankfully my inspector didnt go over the car as hard as he is kinda meant to as no old car would pass the dreaded "blue slip".

All that aside, we have tags and i have it starting! Dash lights are next...

1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Carlow
    Lookin good

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Ok so this thing never got to go on the road trip as the gearbox comprehensively shat the bed on only the 3rd drive.

Boo. Urns.

After having a massive tantrum I pushed it inside the garage and considered my options. There's basically no support for the stock Super-Hydramatic 4-speed auto in Australia (and very hard to find anyone who works on them or Jetaways) so after I blew all the sand out of my vagina I manned up and bought a long-output TH400 from a '70 Catalina that a wrecking yard near me happened to have had sitting around for about 10 years. Snapey has a collection of cool rare Pontiacs (Ram Air GTOs etc) and it was only after a mate mentioned in passing he might have a box that I called him up and, low and behold, he had a perfect rebuilder sitting outside his office.

Because I can't just do simple and easy I've ordered a new flex plate, convertor, rebuild kit from Summit Racing. And then things got silly. The mate who put me onto Snapey sold me a set of ported #92 cylinder heads he used to run which have been set up for our modern unleaded fuel we get down here in Straya. Plus a set of flycut 400cui pistons and rods. And a Super Duty-style oil filter relocation block. I then bought a mini starter motor conversion kit as I couldn't use the original bellhousing-mounted one, and then I also picked up a new Comp Cams flat tappet bumpstick (with lifters), some 1.65 ratio rockers, a full engine gasket kit, Edelbrock Performer intake, finned Edelbrock valve covers and a pair of Ram Air Restorations long branch exhaust manifolds.

I've also got new hoodlining and carpet coming for the barge, and once I've got all the rust patched up I'm going to give her a lick of paint in the same hue. Then it's on to customising the 15in steelies from my '62 Bonneville. 15x8s and 15x10s sounds about right to me :D

Doesn't look too bad (a little pov-spec without a cap or bullets)

1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Bits have been arriving. Still need a shitload more before this stupid old pissskank will run again.

Pulled the heads off, then ripped short motor out. Thinking given the condition I'll just to rings, bearings and cam as it all looks good in the bores. Potato cam pics = 974 words each.

Next step involves flicking $50s at the gearbox and engine shop while I whore myself to pay for it all.
    1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

I love how you have a beer in nearly all of your photos. You and I would get along great. Lol. Keep pluggin away, you will get there!!

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Drinking is our national sport in Australia!
    1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

That is correct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    All I want to do is cruise an obscenely over sized vehicle while consuming our precious fossil fuels at an alarming rate.