User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1964 Pontiac Bonneville - this dingo stole your custom

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

1964 Pontiac Bonneville - this dingo stole your custom

Continuing on from my intro thread here: http://www.losboulevardosmessageboar...ad.php?7313-Hi

I bought Coby Gewertz's 1964 Pontiac Bonneville to replace a '62 Bonneville I lost in a shed fire back in September last year. It's taken around 5 months to leave Huntington Beach, CA, cross the Pacific and wind up around 70miles north of Sydney Australia in a little town called Umina Beach.

I've followed CHURCH since not long after he kicked off and, as a motoring journalist who writes for various Aussie car magazines, I take a lot of inspiration from what Coby does. To have HIS car sitting here with my name on the paperwork is a huge deal for me.

The goal is to be a good custodian of it and to that end, while part of me wants to strip it to its undies and give the thing a ground-up rebuild, it'd be foolish to ignore how original it is. A car is only original once so I am going to try and preserve as much of the car's feel as possible... and I'll try and sneak some upgrades to horsepower, handling/braking and interior in along the way.

Now, I'll try to "speak American" and not use too much Aussie sayings here. I mean, I wouldn't want to come the raw prawn and have you blokes think I'm taking the piss, right? Right!

Having sat for a few years she's got some coral (rust, AKA tin worm) breaking out and it needs a thorough go-over. I'll put my to-do list at the bottom of the post. I'll put up as many pics of the car as I could find, from when Coby bought it through to now:

2004 - Coby's post on the Jalopy Journal

Hittin' switches!

From when I had a mate's mate check the car out. This was October 2014 and the car had been in storage 4-ish years by this stage

Trim needs work

I bought it and on November 18 Coby delivered it to HTX International shipping in Long Beach, CA

Finally, on February 15 the car reached Sydney and on February 28 the tow truck turned up with her! It needed a jump start and about 25-litres of fresh premium unleaded before it fired into life. I also had to reconnect the air compressor for the bags (which appears to be on its way out).

Got it aired up, and 5 months after I lost my last Pontiac, I took my new one for a lap of the block. I had to be sneaky as it is unregistered and you're looking at around $1500USD in fines for driving an unregistered car in Australia.

I couldn't go far as I was worried how old the oil in the motor was, knowing the car probably hadn't kept up to date with its service schedule while it was parked up (who would?).

It was filthy from sitting in shipping yards, container, etc. Even though Aussie customs & quarantine charged me nearly $800USD to clean my car it was obvious they're thieving arseholes who probably splashed some water nearby my car because it was f'n dirty.

I also wanted to get it off the street and change the old oil and oil filter out so, as my mates came over to check the car out, I wasn't freaking out I was killing the motor starting it on 5 year old bearing-destroying oil.

I decided I'd give her a thorough wash and degrease the engine bay to clean the built-up gunk off. At the same time I got inside and started fitting a stereo as she turned up sans head unit, amp and subs -and I've got to have cruisin' tunes :D

As you can see we still don't have a shed and, given it's only the 2nd day of Autumn here, it's f'n hot. This wasn't fun!

Before the thunderstorm hit I gave the big rig a proper wash and chamois and took a few pics:

To-Do List (short-ish term):
    - Bleed brakes (pedal is rock-hard)
    - Fit amp/headunit/etc for tunes
    - Fix rust
    - Fit RHD-dipping headlights
    - Registration (a near-$2000 exercise here)
    - Fit left over new suspension/bearings/etc from my '62
    - Radiator shroud and a pair of 12" thermo fans
    - Get the cabin blower fan & heater working
    - Build a new wiring loom from scratch
    - Buy & fit hoodlining & front seat cover
    - Fit Vintage Air
    - Sound/heat-proof interior
    - Disc brakes
    - Rechrome bumpers & door trim
    - Fit VU4 valves, twin compressors & Accuair e-level
    - Get it engineered (modifications certified as legal)

This is a budget build so please bear with me as this will probably take a while to get through unlike an Overhaulin' build :D

Cheers, big-ears!
    Last edited by Mr Crispyville; 03-02-2015 at 04:51 AM.

♠ LBCC Arizona ♠

User Info Menu

Wow great update on such a great car!!! Stoked that your putting the effort to fix her up. Keep us updated
    "You're gonna get what I give ya" - Piewagon 60

"Absolutely" - Biskit

♠ LBCC East ♠

User Info Menu

Great car. Looks like it found a good home. Interesting to see what an $800 Australian car wash looks like.

♠️LBCC Colorado♠️

User Info Menu

Bitchin' car, good choice! I admire the perseverance it must have taken to buy that car from the other side of the world and get it home. Enjoy!
    "Writin' my will on a three-dollar bill"

Newb

User Info Menu

Nice story of a nice car from a nice guy.

Enjoy it as much as you can.

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

Was the sound equipment stuff stolen, or are you just updating

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

congrats man on a long journey with a happy ending.
    Merry Christmas, SHITTERS Full

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, it was a bit emotional to finally get it after a rough 2014. I lost 2 jobs, a mate was murdered and then we had the shed fire, so yeah it's bloody awesome to get a win finally.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger O'Dell View Post
    Was the sound equipment stuff stolen, or are you just updating
    It was pulled out of the car before I bought it, but all the leads and front speakers are there.

To start with I'm just going to chuck a spare head unit in the glovebox that I had kicking around, but eventually I'd like to put one of those era-correct iPod headunits in the dash to replace the non-functional stock unit. Thankfully I found a place over there that sells one to suit '64 Bonneville so it will look exactly the same (I just need that $300 spent elsewhere on the car right now).

♠️LBCC Colorado♠️

User Info Menu

I'm pretty happy with the RetroSound unit, for when you get around to it.
    Last edited by Puddin Pop; 03-02-2015 at 03:49 PM.
    "Writin' my will on a three-dollar bill"

♠ LBCC Chicagoland ♠

User Info Menu

Really great ! Thanks for sharing the journey.

♠ LBCC Chicagoland ♠

User Info Menu

Very cool! 64's are cool in my book hahaha.
    Kinda weird how they did the shocks up front.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Thanks for the recommendation UGOTD8 - I've found an Aussie distributor of their product so I'm sorted for a headunit once some cash I'm waiting on rolls in

64Poncho - thanks man, I love your Cat. I found a photo of it with a few other cars off here in downtown Chi-town ages ago and was blown away. I agree about the shocks but I'll leave them for the time being until it comes time to put the thing on a hoist and add Accuair e-level, VU4 valves, a bigger tank and two new compressors. My mate around the corner from me has that set-up in his '62 Bonneville Vista (he is PonchoB on here) and i love it.
    Pork Hunt Motorsport - Central Coast, Australia
    1964 Pontiac Bonneville

♠ LBCC Arizona ♠

User Info Menu

Can't wait to see your plans come to fruition.
    "Knowledge without mileage equals bullshit."
    -Henry Rollins

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Well, I had an hour spare this afternoon before the wife got home so I went out and attacked the brakes.

I ran a litre of fresh DOT3 fluid through the front left drum and the brakes are already 10 times better. I didn't get a pic of it, but the first few pumps were just jelly coming out of the system.

After I got the front left done I bled the front right and it's stopping pretty damn well for unassisted 4-wheel drums on a near-2-tonne barge! Discs are definitely on my "to-do" list now though as I want way more horsepower and these brakes just aren't up to that task.
    1964 Pontiac Bonneville

♠ LBCC Chicagoland ♠

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Crispyville View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation UGOTD8 - I've found an Aussie distributor of their product so I'm sorted for a headunit once some cash I'm waiting on rolls in

64Poncho - thanks man, I love your Cat. I found a photo of it with a few other cars off here in downtown Chi-town ages ago and was blown away. I agree about the shocks but I'll leave them for the time being until it comes time to put the thing on a hoist and add Accuair e-level, VU4 valves, a bigger tank and two new compressors. My mate around the corner from me has that set-up in his '62 Bonneville Vista (he is PonchoB on here) and i love it.
    Thanks man!!! ya that's my girl! I still haven't installed the front shocks on my car which will be the first thing that I will do once it gets nice out!
    Good luck with this beauty!

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Very cool story and congratulations! I love the styling of those Pontiacs. Very nice lines.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Reminds me of my Buick (color combo/wheels) or what I wished it looked like anyways.. Any cosmetic changes considered for the future, rims, color change or leaving as is?
    IG: dylanburnm

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Really stoked to see another awesome Pontiac getting the treatment. I think we all agree you couldnt have purchased a car from a nicer more talented guy!
    Looking for 65 galaxie back window/cragar starwires!

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

So, brakes got bled and I arranged a permit to take it out for a spin to see how she goes. Awesome is the answer and I'm over the moon at how good the car drives.

Here are a few flics from the drive:

Quote Originally Posted by d-smoke View Post
    Reminds me of my Buick (color combo/wheels) or what I wished it looked like anyways.. Any cosmetic changes considered for the future, rims, color change or leaving as is?
    I'm going to leave well enough alone for the time being. I was thinking of some "daisy" 200S wheels maybe. I also have the 15inch steel wheels from my last Bonne.
    1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

I really dig the color. Looks great in any light.