User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 1964 Pontiac Bonneville - this dingo stole your custom

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

So Ryan, Eric and Jake have been busting their foofa-valves on this thing again this week.

The Sanden A/C compressor was mocked up so the boys could work out what belts I need to run

Test-fitting the condenser mount & drier mount - it was great Pontiac thoughtfully designed the radiator support with this recess that makes a perfect mount for the receiver-drier

Brackets to mount the evaporator under the dash - all powdercoated in Oxytech gear (Wet Look Black for gloss stuff, Ebony Texture for the matte stuff)

Yay spaghetti - Jake has done a KILLER job on this thing's wiring given the crap he was handed

Ryan discovered the gantry shock mount the car used to have in the front-end wouldn't work with where the power steering pump & A/C compressor now lived so he relocated the shocks to a more conventional spot down beside the chassis. He also found my car was using stock C10 Chevy pick-up front shocks. As they were 100% SNAFU Ryan thoughtfully ordered me some more so it should ride nicely with all the work I'm about to put into flash new bits in the front-end.

At least being bagged makes it easier to work on

This is how the custom fan shroud on the other page mounts up. Hopefully my SPAL turns up soon?

I've ordered a bunch of parts and have made myself fantastically broke. On their way are:

- quick-ratio steering box
    - new inner & outer tie-rods
    - new drag link (centre section)
    - new idler arm
    - rag joint/steering coupler rebuild kit
    - new upper control arm bushes & shafts
    - new engine mounts
    - new carpet
    - new kick panels
    - new C-pillar panels (to get wrapped in hoodliner)
    - new headunit
    - whole new disc brake kit

That last one is on top of the CRS spindles to take HQ calipers. I've got a mate with a '62 Bonneville so i'll probably pass that all on to him as he wants to run 14in wheels and I think he'll squeak that out with HQ brakes whereas I want 15s or 17s and am happy to go with bigger brakes. The kit I've ordered is from Master Power Brakes - http://www.mpbrakes.com/1964-pontiac...s?filter_name=

I'd never found anyone able to tell me what these kits are actually like and, at $1030 USD plus freight, I wasn't prepared to take a punt on a random "bolt-on" kit given the normally stellar reputation for making bolt-on parts that bolt-on. I found a story on http://www.timelessmuscle.com/tech/l...r-gm-b-bodies/ and managed to talk to a guy from Poncho Perfection Magazine who filled me in on the Master Power kit, which gave me enough confidence to pull the trigger on it.

I should have it in a few weeks and will bash the new front-end in one Saturday. At that point hopefully I'll have time to pull the steering column out and give it a lick of paint. Or powdercoat. Whatever. It's only money, right?
    Pork Hunt Motorsport - Central Coast, Australia
    1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

So Ryan is now on to installing the new air system. This includes the flash new Accuair ENDO-VT (valve tank), a pair of Viair 480C compressors and the Accuair E-level height-management system. To have your air suspension system legal in NSW you need a few basic features like bump stops, a controller hooked up to your handbrake (so you can't adjust it on the fly) and height management software keeping your car level. My car will have all these things once Ryan is finished with it and it should be far nicer to drive than the old front/back system that, while it was well-installed, tended to lean badly in corners as air raced from one bag to another.

E-level will allow me to choose 3 pre-programmed heights to have my car. The E-level kit knows where each of these heights are as it uses 4 sensors that sit at each corner of the car to talk to the system ECU. These sensors mount to the frame, with the ECU coming pre-wired (apart from power & ground) and ready to plug into the ENDO-VT tank (which has Accuair's legendary VU4 four-corner valve block inside it). The E-level ECU operates the VU4 valve block to adjust each corner of the car until the sensors report the car is where it needs to be.

This is the controller. #1 will be fully aired-out (which I'll be able to choose once the handbrake is on), #2 will be regular ride height for driving, and #3 will be "access mode" or maximum height (for driveways or looking donk status, homeez). The other functions are for minor adjustments to either front/back for up and down, or individual corner control. Not that anyone ever adjusts air on the fly, kiddies

As the valves are inside the tank it has ports in the end which will connect to the compressors, plug wiring in and possibly be somewhere I can put burritos. Or not.

I ordered a few more fittings from Air Ride to go with the system and, after talking it over, decided to run the flexible air line instead of steel stuff... and here she goes...
    1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

You should write for magazines...
    Great to see it all coming together for you man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    All I want to do is cruise an obscenely over sized vehicle while consuming our precious fossil fuels at an alarming rate.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Haha thanks dude.

I ordered the wheels today. While I'd like to have supported the Aussie distributor or a shop out here I ended up buying them off eBay USA for an absolute STEAL.

VN504 1-piece cast 17x7, 5x5 PCD in 4in backspace. I could have gone for the 2-piece forged VN402 but I don't think I need that kind of hardware, plus the VN402s aren't available in a 17x7 in 5x5 (you have to get a blank to drill).

Locally, the one shop who was prepared to give me a price wanted $2600 AUD and for me to wait 10 weeks for the wheels. The eBay shop had them in stock and, all up, it came to $USD705 delivered - amazingly, freight from the USA was $USD40 for the SET of wheels! Once they are here i will get the centres done in a goldy bronze.

1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

The Master Power brake kit turned up today. It is all incredibly well made, professionally packaged, and with clear instructions.

I can highly recommend using these guys in the future if anyone else wants to make sure their barge stops.

1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

More updates...

Air tank is mounted.

Next week the new transmission crossmember will be back from powder coating, the tailshaft will be shortened to suit the TH400, exhaust mounted for the last time and... maybe... the fuel tank drained so we can start this barge. I can't get too excited yet because i still need to hook up the (Lokar) throttle amd trans shift linkages.

Stereo ordered (will be hidden)

I'm definitely NOT going to put this one in the dash, but that leads me on a merry ol' journey of discovery figuring out where to mount the headunit.

My Road Runner had its head unit under the front seat, but I'd like to hide mine where the glovebox used to be (as the void for the glovebox is now mostly filled with Vintage Air A/C). This avoids the risk of backseat passengers kicking the headunit (which happened in my Plymouth) and makes the whole install a bit tidier.

I only use the stereo in my cars to listen to my iPod so none of this has to be flash - I just want it to play music clearly and reliably, and look tidy. That's why I went with a single 12in woofer for the boot and pair of half-decent speakers for the front doors. The amp is going in the boot, next to the air tank and compressors, with the sub mounted on the passenger (RH) side and the battery on the LH side.

I had thought about filling the holes where the heater controls and radio used to live seeing as none of them are required any more. The issue is that they're not in the thick metal section of the dash but the thinner aluminium (sorry, "alooo-minnum") fascia and so I'm not sure it's going to look any good to fill them up.

The apertures I'm talking about closing up are the rectangular ones below and immediately to the left the trio of gauges

Oh yeah, and I bought pop-out cupholders from a WM Holden Caprice back seat (same as G8 Pontiac or some US cop cars) off Holmart (Holden surplus warehouse) and will have them added to my front seat.

Ill get an aperture cut into the front of the seat, which will attach to the metal frame of the seat. The cupholder itself is thin but fairly wide. I am thinking of getting a shroud made up to cover the edge so it looks a bit more '60s.

While buying the cupholder i figured i may as well upgrade the stoppers on the daily, too it is our ute variant of the Chevy SS (very similar to a Pontiac G8). This has all Aussie cam, intake, tune, exhaust, coilover suspension and 20inAussie Simmons wheels. It makes 420rwhp and is a pretty bloody good daily.

I had to upgrade the wheels too, obviously
    1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Newb

User Info Menu

Making good progress on the old Pontiac, and that Ute looks awesome too!
    -Matt

1964 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 Fiesta Wagon

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

I went and saw the barge today.

Rust repairs are progressing. Trim holes still need to be welded up but there are only 4 rust spots left in the car now!

Rear end

Tailshaft is freshly made by Gibsons in Newcastle with new unis. It is now 28mm shorter than stock

More tuck than a Thai ladyboy...
    1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

I was going through junk in the garage yesterday and pulled out a parcel of paperwork I'd pulled out of the Pontiac before I sent it to Newcastle, then forgot about.

It's a really, really cool time capsule (IMO) with rego papers dating back to '64 plus service receipts for work done between '71-'04. The REALLY cool bit for me are the letters from salesman Bob Leal of DiGiulio Pontiac to the original owner of my car, Mr Hemry P. Giambruno of 4325 Alder St, Fremont, California, as well as the original dealer receipts and the original books. One thing I never picked up on was that this must have been a company car, as it was ordered through a "Clements Construction" on behalf of Henry Giambruno (who I am guessing was a manager or salesman).

I don't know if anyone else on here is as much a history tragic as me but I really love going through this old paperwork and feel it is a really cool addition to the car. My plan is to scan it and preserve it in a proper folder, then frame the scanned versions of the sales receipt and invoice.

"Honest Bob Leal" doing his best finger guns on Mr Giambruno... now, I don't ACTUALLY know if he was "Honest" Bob Leal but I just get that vibe from what I've seen in this paperwork. I reckon he had a tartan sports jacket, gold tooth and dodgy hairdo.

The original quote - April 24, 1964

I used a website to work out this equates to around $39k AUD in today's money - exceptional value given this would have been Calais V or 6L Statesman spec

26 May, '64 - when Henry must have placed the order

Being this slip is from June '64 this must be the delivery slip.

I reckon I may have voided that warranty lately...

Original Pontiac Ident-O-plate for warranty/service/ID purposes. Rare as hen's teeth!

My olds and I think old Henry was a builder of some sort, and we guessed this is his old trade licence or union membership card or some kind?

I love how the '64 Pontiac manual covers way more technical info than we have gotten in modern cars in years. I also love the names for some of the optional equipment - and there was a stack of options for a '64 Pontiac, including power seats, power windows, tinted windows, power mirrors, air conditioning, a couple of radio options, LSD, x4 different high-output engines, tri-tone trim, power brakes, disc brakes, power steering and more.

Old rego paperwork

1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

"more tuck than a Thai ladyboy" Awesome! 😂 Top notch work man

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Newb

User Info Menu

Did this show up on 'The Lowered' recently? Progress is looking great!

I've got the original window sticker and a few other documents from my 64' Olds wagon. Turns out the original owner traded in his 57' Olds wagon for the new model. And fifty years down the road I paid nearly the same price as the car went for off the dealer floor.
    -Matt

1964 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 Fiesta Wagon

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Thanks dudes

Yeah it showed up on The Lowered's Facebook the other day
    1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

She lives! Well, sort of...

https://youtu.be/1n3DvBwSEKQ
    1964 Pontiac Bonneville

Newb

User Info Menu

Looking good man , cant wait to see it finished

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Work is still going on with this thing, mostly with little fiddly jobs. Ryan and i whipped up the lines, mounted all the hardware for the last time and worked out what we needed for custom A/C line holders for the intake manifold that he will get laser cut.

I got the Vintage Air Gen IV Magnum evap from Rocket Industries for $1100. From Summit i got the dial controls, bulkhead connector, outlets and a TIG-welded compressor bracket to suit the Pontiac V8, for another $500.

I bought most of the other hardware, including condensor, Sanden compressor, drier, binary switch, and all the lines and fittings from Speedy Air Supplies in QLD. Under Ryan's advice i went with the Air-O-Crimp crimp fittings - http://speedyairspares.com.au/catalo...ing-269-1.html

All up I was about $3k into it just in hardware. The labour is around another $2500 at mate's rates, as there is a solid week's work fitting everything. Plus the custom condensor/drier mount, Spal fan, and firewall block-off plate all powdercoated for a nice finish.

Ryan had test run all the lines to work out what fittings and lengths of hose i needed. Once we had that I ordered them from Speedy and they arrived a few days later.

There are 3 basic line sizes to run with this set-up - #6, #8, & #10. The lines themselves are super easy to connect. Once you have the length right just use crimping pliers to tighten the fittings up.

As the crimp fittings use smaller size hose they are easier to snake through tight spots, although fitting everything under the dash, from the back of the bulkhead plate to the evap, was a several-hour-long nightmare.

Sorry about the light in these pics. That is how the workshop looked at sunset!

The brakes turned into a saga. Only 2 of the original lines undid even with brand new crows feet spanners, the kit from Master Power is supposedly bolt-in but the hardlines do not fit, and the pedal linkage is way way way too long. Emails have been sent but i think it will be easier just to customise what i have... which, if i am honest, i expected because "bolt on kit" is a bigger misnomer than a "government for the people".

Also, my nice new finned Edelbrock vintage rocker covers do not fit - rocker clearance to my 1.65 ratio rockers is non-existant and the lip fouls the power steer bracket. I am pretty gutted about that so will try to come up with a solution like a spacer or something.

On the plus side, the side trim holes are all done, plus the door handle work has begun. The rear trim holes, front guard trim holes, and the custom push-button handles all need to be done. That will probably take Eric 10mins given he did the side holes and front guard rust repairs in a day.

Getting closer!

After going through swatch packs of OEM colours with my mate I think I have found a winning colour. It is Kawasemi Blue Pearl from the Mitsubishi ASX (with Mitsubishi Silky White Pearl on the roof). I was looking for a blue that has a little green in it, with not too much transition/flip between the colours in different light.

In direct light it is blue

It is on the right here.

Also my air cleaner has been powder coated

1964 Pontiac Bonneville