User Tag List

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Project 68: The Imperial Crown Coupe Saga

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Cool, thanks.....I'm looking to pull apart my New Yorker and I wondered if the trim just popped off or it screwed in from behind.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chris68 View Post
    Cool, thanks.....I'm looking to pull apart my New Yorker and I wondered if the trim just popped off or it screwed in from behind.
    Usually the base of the c pillar molding is secured on with hardware, not just clips, though it could be different with the New Yorkers. I worked on a 65 a few years back, and now that i'm working on the Imperial, while all in the same family, I have found that the Imperials were the most over engineered cars in existence...And I don't mean that necessarily in a good way. The knuckle heads in the Imperial studio musta taken the "If 2 bolts can hold it together, 14 will really hold it together... and lets throw an extra 24lb support at it as well." approach. The roof trim was no exception.

Anyway... got down to the shop over the weekend for a few hours and messed around with getting the front end all nice again. I had POR15ed it a while back, but somewhere between my not-so -great prep work, and the fact that POR doesn't really bite on non rusty surfaces, when I hit it with the air gun, i started blowing sheets of paint off of the frame! So what was supposed to be a quicky prep job before i drop in the motor, turned in to wire brushing and degreasing the front end.. again.

When I got there:

After stripping it again:

And nice and glossy (used Chassis Saver this time which is supposedly legit.) It looks a little rough in this pic but it actually sets up pretty smooth for a brush on paint.
    PISCITELLI DESIGN: HOT ROD & CUSTOM DESIGN
    IG: @piscitellidesign

♠️LBCC Colorado♠️

User Info Menu

Looking good, thanks for the updates, can't wait to see this in the sun!
    "Writin' my will on a three-dollar bill"

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Good to know...I would assume the trim attachments are the same for the rear pillar on the New Yorker. Fortunately I will be only removing the lower trim portion not the top.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Mocked up the motor on the stand, then pulled it apart again... then back together and sealed/painted everything to match up. One of the frustrating things about buying a project that's already apart is that you have no idea how hit initially went together. I have also managed to lose a bunch of hardware over the past 5 years, and now i'm scrambling around looking for the right sized nuts and bolts to hold everything together.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

hit the local pick-a-part and robbed and old charger of all the engine hardware I could wrench off of it, so I was able to attach the trans and get a bunch of other things squared away.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Hopefully dropping the motor in this weekend, so we can assemble the nose around it.
    Junk yard scored this over the weekend though, which i'm geeked about. Dual snorkel air cleaners are fairly rare, since thy only came on hi-po motors. Gotta blast this and texture coat it in black, but it's in pretty good shape otherwise.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Awesome score especially for that year! At first I thought you had a HP motor! I tried to make one fit from another year on my 440 and it just didn't sit right. The dish in the center is much smaller. Sadly, It's now garage art.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Spent the better part of last Saturday wrestling a 700 lb wrecking ball into the freshly painted front end. The first 85% went by in a heartbeat. The last 15% took me a few hours of adjusting crawling over and under, cursing and more adjusting to shoehorn that bad boy in without busting anything up. Doing it as a one man party is a real pain in the ass.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Quick question!

I came across a set of like new 205 75 15 with a 1" whitewall that I can get on e the super cheap. from what I can tell, that puts the OD at 27.1"

Right now i have 235 75 15's mounted on my Star wires (28.9" OD), but i'm thinking I can get a little lower look if i go with a bit smaller OD tire.. Anyone running those? I don't want to go super small but these look like they could be a good step down from the big rollers..or you think it's too much?

lemmi know!

♠️LBCC Colorado♠️

User Info Menu

It's a personal preference. FWIW, I had 205/65/15s on my 54 and I always thought they were a bit too big. I think I've seen mention that it's getting harder to find a good selection of sizes in 15" tires with whitewalls. Just some quick math fun:

28.9 - 27.1 / 2 = gonna lower your car .9 inches. :-)

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

I've ran 205/75R15 on all of my Cadillacs and my 95 Chevy Silverado, I think they're the best 15" size when you going low, but the big cars tend to eat them up a lot quicker than the 235/75's (stock for Cadillacs), but I think the look is right. I'm running 215/75 on my Silverado now, the proportions are great and they seem to be holding up better. My opinion: If it's a weekend car, 205's are great, but if you plan to drive a lot, the the bigger you can stand to look at, the more miles you will get.
    IG: dylanburnm

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Personally, I think the 205's will look better than the 235's, but I run a 215/75 R15 on my car and I love how they look on a bigger platform like ours. If you can convince a local tire shop to work with you on such a great project, I'd pursue mounting one and playing dress up to see what you think...
    I think we can do better than that...

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by d-smoke View Post
    I've ran 205/75R15 on all of my Cadillacs and my 95 Chevy Silverado, I think they're the best 15" size when you going low, but the big cars tend to eat them up a lot quicker than the 235/75's (stock for Cadillacs), but I think the look is right. I'm running 215/75 on my Silverado now, the proportions are great and they seem to be holding up better. My opinion: If it's a weekend car, 205's are great, but if you plan to drive a lot, the the bigger you can stand to look at, the more miles you will get.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Personally, I think the 205's will look better than the 235's, but I run a 215/75 R15 on my car and I love how they look on a bigger platform like ours. If you can convince a local tire shop to work with you on such a great project, I'd pursue mounting one and playing dress up to see what you think...
    I don't suppose either of you have a good side profile shot of the 215's on the cars (or the 205s when you ran em on the caddy)? I don't mind the eventual wear out, since I'd keep the 235's on the side, but with such a monster of a car, i just don't what the tires to look too small.

I should be able to snatch up the 205s for a hundred for the set of 4. For $25 a tire, if they are as "new" as homeboy says they are, then it's a risk to cheap not to take. As far as mounting one, that's no prob. If my 5th grade level math is correct, between the 3.5" blocks and the fact that the 205's are 2" smaller in diameter than the stock 235s, it'd fetch me a solid 5" of static drop. (of course I'll adjust the front accordingly)

I'm gonna swing over and possibly pick em up Thursday, so I'll let you guys know what happens, but if anyone reading this before then has good reference pics of a full size land yacht with 205/75 15's please post em up here! Id appreciate it.

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

Here's my dusty 300 with 215/75 15s on Supremes

3" blocks out back and front wound down to suit

10665779_10152283896787583_3832729140005588650_n.jpg
    All I want to do is cruise an obscenely over sized vehicle while consuming our precious fossil fuels at an alarming rate.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Thanks! your car looks badass by the way!

215s seem to be the golden ticket... 205's might just be a tad too small. I found this pic posted in another thread by Eric, showing a 9.00x15 bias (which is about the same size as my 235's) next to a 205 75 15... and it looks too small.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

more comparison pics i stole of his:
    235's

205's

♠ LBCC High Priest ♠

User Info Menu

Keep in mind that the 205s above are 70-series. They're at least an inch shorter than the 75s you're considering.

IMO 235/75s are too big for a lowered car. My preference is the 205/70s like above, but my cars are a little smaller than Cads and Imperials. For a larger car like yours the 205/75s would work but ideally you probably want a 215/70 or 215/75 like Andy used.
    Tradition didn't end in 1964

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Yeah the difference does seem like a bit more than 1.8" of OD:

I think I'll take a shot and buy em. I cant really see getting hurt on $25/tire for new condition 1" white wall radials.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

I'd definitely roll with those. A nice clean look and they'll get you just a little bit closer to the ground!