User Tag List

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Project 68: The Imperial Crown Coupe Saga

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

I would follow Chris68 lead and juice it over air ride. There's a couple of threads on Chrysler mods with the guy who cut pockets into the front subframe for bags but yes a lot of work. Where as you can get a cce kit at a reasonable price, $1500 and the cylinders slot nicely into the front shock mount over cutting the pockets etc. I run 3" blocks on my 66 300 and even with huggggee 235/75 15 I can change rear tires pretty easy although I have jacked the other side when need be.
    Looking good btw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    All I want to do is cruise an obscenely over sized vehicle while consuming our precious fossil fuels at an alarming rate.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
    I would follow Chris68 lead and juice it over air ride. There's a couple of threads on Chrysler mods with the guy who cut pockets into the front subframe for bags but yes a lot of work. Where as you can get a cce kit at a reasonable price, $1500 and the cylinders slot nicely into the front shock mount over cutting the pockets etc. I run 3" blocks on my 66 300 and even with huggggee 235/75 15 I can change rear tires pretty easy although I have jacked the other side when need be.
    Looking good btw
    Thanks, yeah I've poured over Chris' build thread multiple times... the fab work, and result are killer. Pardon my ignorance here, but whats a cce kit? I'm running the same size tires as you (235/75/15s) with the 3" blocks, and hopefully if I air em down, and can squeeze the tires out when i need to. I assume if you are running blocks, then you turned the T bars down in front? Were you able to get the front down to a level look with the rear without anything but turning the bars down? I don't mind running static low if it's doable. My other cars are static and neither of them can clear a sideways beer can, but I definitely pay for it in terms of ride quality. lol.
    PISCITELLI DESIGN: HOT ROD & CUSTOM DESIGN
    IG: @piscitellidesign

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Cool Cars Engineering(CCE) is where my set up came from. Been good so far. I rolled static for many years with no issues with loosening the torsion bolts. I cut 3/4 of the bump stop out and another small piece of metal that was restricting my travel. It was dropped pretty low with room to travel. It's all about what you want. All of us here try to get down pretty far. lol. You might not like the look of the car with anything less than 3" blocks out back. If you think it's too low(which is never possible) invest $70 and get a pair of airshocks to lift it where you need. These cars are so easy to lower its not even funny. You've seen the work that involves the front end with airbags and the rear, if done right, should be 4-linked which is task in itself as well. My ride on juice, in my opinion, rides better than air with the accumulators. It's fun, no air compressors kicking on and low maintenence except charging the batteries every 3 months. Sorry about the pain with the tires in the rear. It's a sacrifice we all make.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Gotcha. If rocking it static is doable, i'm all about it. The 3" blocks are in, and I don't mind dealing with the pain in the ass that changing tires is. (I deal with it on my 54). My only concern was making sure that i could level the car out; In other words I wanted to make sure that i could drop the car 3" in the front by turning the t bars, which from the sound of it, is definitely doable. I wouldn't mind goin lower...hell, who am i kidding? If money were no object, it'd be the game plan, but i think that 3" on a car that's 19' long should get me somewhat the look i'm goin for for now.

As a side note, here's my 54, currently my somewhat daily driver:
    Last edited by dart165; 07-22-2014 at 05:45 AM.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

You can definitely static drop 3"+ in the front/rear on these cars, but as Chris said some minor surgery will be required - it really comes down to the travel/ride quality you want.

My 300 is more like 4-1/2" lower than a stock one with cranked torsion bars in the front and 3" blocks combined with worn leafs in the rear, but I also had to cut the bump stops in the front, and section/raise the trans tunnel and floor in the rear, otherwise you'll hang up/ride on that stuff. It wasn't hard, but some folks shy from cutting on unibody cars, but I can tell you that I've driven the hell out of my C-body over the last nine years after doing these mods and the doors still close correctly - in other words, I've encountered no structural problems.

However, I do scrape on damn near everything (I've even had to relocate the parking brake cable/bracket as I was losing/pinching that on the regular) and I've been meaning to upgrade to higher rate shocks, but it's not unbearable to cruise as I've got around 1-1/2" to 2" of travel. Here's an old cell phone pic just for reference:

I think we can do better than that...

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Nice little 54 though......With out cutting the floor, you might encounter a "thud" every now and then from your pumpkin hitting in the rear. Airshocks can cure that if needed. I've never really seen a lowered Imperial with this year in style lowered. I'm looking forward to seeing this thing!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

good info guys! I will definitely be askin more questions as it comes together.

In the meantime, some shots from the shop:

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Wow can't believe I missed this thread. Been on intermittent lurk mode for a while. Love the direction your headed. I also agree while I am a big fan of certain shades of gold I love the color you chose. That's going to look awesome with the white top and white walls. As far as the suspension goes if you gotta slow shit down for the Bags I just can't recommend it enough. I drive a static 5/8 gmc crew as my daily, don't get me wrong I love it and hell I tow with it but getting in my galaxie and being able to air up for driveways and other odd shit... Let's just say as soon as I can justify it the truck will be bagged to!

Oh just so I am caught up with everyone, big wheels as an alternate is cool in proportion and reason, but the wires look so right!

And nice jeep x2! My My moms got a 14 SRT 8 Cherokee, it was fun talking with the fleet guy and helping her go through the options list. She can't get enough of launch mode. I gotta admit though, as cool as it is that she wanted that as a daily... Kinda sucks when your mom can blow your doors off.
    Looking for 65 galaxie back window/cragar starwires!

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Little sneak peak of the color...

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Finally some color laid down!

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Lookin good!
    Low and fast.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Mmmm.

♠ LBCC High Priest ♠

User Info Menu

Tradition didn't end in 1964

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

lol, very appropriate for this yacht.

♠ LBCC Chicagoland ♠

User Info Menu

Looking great. The long road and dedication is paying off.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Thanks!
    more color:

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Looking good! How difficult was it to pull the trim off from around the bottom of the windows and rear pillars?

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

love the color. is it custom or from another car?
    "Don't talk about it be about it"

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chris68 View Post
    Looking good! How difficult was it to pull the trim off from around the bottom of the windows and rear pillars?
    Thanks! It wasn't too hard, though for some of it, i had no choice but to remove the inside trim panels and headliner, which sucked because it'd never been apart, so certain thing you just wanna leave alone since they can be a can of worms if ya know what i mean.

Quote Originally Posted by T.J. View Post
    love the color. is it custom or from another car?
    The color is PPG "Dark Beachwood met". I think Oldsmobile and Toyota flirted with it in the 80's and i might have graced some Ford LTDS at some point in the 70's too... (which sounds concerning, I know.) But I originally came across the color in R&C magazine; a feature truck was wearing the color REALLY well. When I read the article, I figured the color for some HOK 15 stage candy, but when I read the stats and found that it was a relatively simple base/clear, i was all over it.

Here's the Truck: