User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Project 68: The Imperial Crown Coupe Saga

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Just say no to big rims on classics ; 0)
    1973 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser - 455 Rocket Big Block - (0)(0) PROJECTILE AFTERBIRTH (0)(0)
    1979 Ford T-bird - 351 Windsor - Project DIRTY BIRD
    1970 Dodge Charger 500 - 383 Big Block

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

I don't mind the big diameter rims, though they have to look correct (on that tip, i have something planned for em that'll make 'em more special than just a run of the mill big rims set up)

Also, I will have that second set of 15"s to rock the more classic look as well. I'll make more of a final decision on if I like more than the other later. For now, I have plenty to do before i have to worry about it.
    PISCITELLI DESIGN: HOT ROD & CUSTOM DESIGN
    IG: @piscitellidesign

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

20's are for pussies.
    Lift it up, upgrade to a tough guy 28" set and put a big nice M&Ms or Skittles sticker on the side.

Man, look at how ugly is the lincoln you posted as a reference ... Go for the wires, or anything that matches this car.
    5 on 5

♠ LBCC High Desert ♠

User Info Menu

I think cix is foaming at the mouth a lil bit, lol. Easy, Greg!

I don't mind a larger set of rollers as long as their tasteful. If you're deadset on running some big inchers, I think this car would look right at home with some 16" or 17" Cragar S/S or Tru Spokes and low-pro tires with a pinner white. Blend the old and new rather than depend on two sets of wheels to get either/or.

Here's a 16" Tru on 235/60's (though I prefer my whitewalls to be closer to the wheel rather than smack-dab in the middle of the sidewall). Food for thought, carry on.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Sorry if I've been a bit offensive.
    5 on 5

♠ LBCC High Desert ♠

User Info Menu

I'm just giving you a hard time, my friend

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Eaaaasy there guys! To set the record straight, this won't be a donk, box bubble or any other type of scissor door rockin' hoopty.... and I wont ever ghost ride it.

Like I said, I'm an equal opportunity type of guy when it comes to different looks of wheels. Well, that and I cant pass up a good deal when I see one.

5x5" bolt pattern isn't the easiest to find good wheels in, since the only applications I've found have been 70's and up caddy's, full size pre-6 lug Chevy trucks, Imperials (obviously), and fulls size jeeps. lol

However! I found a guy in Toledo selling 18's/20" Smoothies on new tires for stupid cheap, so i bought em.

Then, I found a guy selling a set of 15" Cragar Star Wires on the cheap... so I bought them too. Though picking those up was an adventure in itself. When you show up to a house deep on the east side of Detroit, you'd be a fool to not be strapped, and this spot was as hood as it gets. But I find that cars are a universal language, the wheels are nice enough, and again, I'm a sucker for a good deal, even if it takes me into some potentially dicey situations.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Back to it!

Pulled the front end off to clean everything up.

Bought some reconditioned heads and after checking that the bottom end was good, started putting it back together:

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Clean, very clean. Can not wait to see this bitch dropped on it's nuts!

Newb

User Info Menu

looks like a solid build path! I like it bud, but yes it need to be "more down to earth" crank those torsion bars and throw some block on the rear.....

keep it up!
    65 New Yorker
    00 Tacoma- rockcrawler
    92 civic- 9sec street car
    76 shovelhead
    81 shovelhead
    99 softail
    08 roadking

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

As I pulled the trim and started prepping for bodywork, I threw the rear wheels on and did a quick photochop of height adjustment that I'll get from going the block route.

After playing with it, I went with 3" blocks, which I ended up having to modify, since nothing with this car has proved to be easy.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

A quick explaination of my thoughts behind these particular wheels. (I know some of ya lothe big diameter rollers, but bare with me here.)

I really dislike the hubcaps that came on 1968 Imperials. To me they're over-designed and lack dimension.
    1968 caps:

Now, 1964 is another thing altogether... I love em. The outers have a nice, simple and deep dish, and the diecast roulette-wheel looking centers were badass, as well as color matched to the car.
    1964 caps:

My idea is to take the diecast centers from the 64 caps, and mount them to the smoothies, creating a bigger diameter "hubcap" look, if you will. get it?

And I have these as well, so I can rock a totally different look/more traditional vibe.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

I forgot where I pulled this from, but it definitely got me thinking about getting one. The 4 doors are cool, but the 2 door hardtops are the way to go.

♠ LBCC High Priest ♠

User Info Menu

I like your thought process on merging the '64 caps with the big wheels but I have a feeling that the end result will still just be a big modern looking wheel losing any visual connection to the original caps. Last time I was at SEMA there were so many vendors showing variations of the large wheel trend that I wouldn't be surprised if there was already something in existence that has the look of what you'll end up with (short of having the Imperial logo).

As your mockup shows, a significant drawback of large diameter wheels is that they will cancel out much of a static lowering job. I'd think that you'd have to do some major surgery to get a MoPar to have the right stance with gigantor wheels. If you like the look of the '64 caps, why not just run a set of '64 caps?

This is a great project regardless of what you do with wheels. Imperials along with just about any '60 MoPar just don't get turned into customs enough. If you insist on big wheels, those smooth 20s are a slick simple design and wouldn't give the car a wonky donk vibe as long as you can get the stance dialed.
    Tradition didn't end in 1964

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    I like your thought process on merging the '64 caps with the big wheels but I have a feeling that the end result will still just be a big modern looking wheel losing any visual connection to the original caps. Last time I was at SEMA there were so many vendors showing variations of the large wheel trend that I wouldn't be surprised if there was already something in existence that has the look of what you'll end up with (short of having the Imperial logo).

As your mockup shows, a significant drawback of large diameter wheels is that they will cancel out much of a static lowering job. I'd think that you'd have to do some major surgery to get a MoPar to have the right stance with gigantor wheels. If you like the look of the '64 caps, why not just run a set of '64 caps?

This is a great project regardless of what you do with wheels. Imperials along with just about any '60 MoPar just don't get turned into customs enough. If you insist on big wheels, those smooth 20s are a slick simple design and wouldn't give the car a wonky donk vibe as long as you can get the stance dialed.
    I feel ya, though I'll make that descision when the car is back together with the motor in, and the torsion bars turned way down so I can see what it looks like. I have no doubt it'll look hard as hell on the wires, so if the big dia wheels dont look good, then I'll simply get rid of em. I definitely won't run something I wouldn't wanna stand behind outta some sense of stubornness lol.
    And as you mentioned, at the very least, I can run the 64 caps as is, which will be cool too.

On with the progress.

Stripped about 2 miles of trim, weather stripping, and all other remaining attached balogni, including the half top. I've learned that the reason these cars are so heavy, (and consiquently why they are so popular in demolition derbies,) is that they are entirely over built. Seriously, the guys who came up with these cars must have had the "Well if 2 bolts will hold it, 16 bolts will hold it better!" mentality. It's a fucking tank, dressed in civilian clothes.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Dusted off outside before loading it up to head to the shop.

♠ LBCC Chicagoland ♠

User Info Menu

hellva jeep.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

That's what I was thinking....X's 2

Newb

User Info Menu

sweet! I can't wait to see this thing painted up!
    65 New Yorker
    00 Tacoma- rockcrawler
    92 civic- 9sec street car
    76 shovelhead
    81 shovelhead
    99 softail
    08 roadking

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Stripping it down.

You can kinda see in these shots how low the ass-end has gotten. Unfortunately I didnt take any photos when I pulled the rear and with the help of some guys from work, made some angled 3" blocks that accomodated the imperials gaint 1.5" locating pins.