User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Popular Customs Magazine : A Collector's Guide

♠ LBCC Chicagoland ♠

User Info Menu

Popular Customs Magazine : A Collector's Guide

If you've been around for a minute and read every post on the board, you've undoubtedly seen Popular Customs magazine sited from time to time. When I first joined the board I'd always noted the mentions and would sporadically search for copies to figure out what the old magazine was all about. Picked up an issue a few years ago - but during an extremely busy and stressful period of time in my life... The issue was stashed away with a lot of my stuff before I really had the chance to enjoy and appreciate it.

Fast forward to a winter magazine session at Rasputin's… I was able to fully appreciate the resource that is Popular Customs. After flipping through several of his issues, my mind was blown. Page after page, the material delivered & delivered. Could not believe what I was looking at. These were the cars of my dreams. Street cars, Show cars, Restyled Cadillacs, Vettes, Rivs, Mustangs, Chargers, Rancheros, you name it.. it was in there. These cars were the last throws of "Custom". The era that defines some of the possibilities in the "Boulevardo" Style. The restyling cues were meant to add distinction and personal flair to the cars. Elements of elegance, performance inspired touches, space age & electric… a magically intoxicating blend of color & texture. Predominately in black & white, with short features, awkward copywriting and moments of WTF… it was all extremely riveting. I started seeking out copies of the magazine again that very night. It's taken some time, but my collection is complete but for one issue (Volume 3, Issue 2 : January 1966).

Here is a visual index of the volumes and issues. These are scans of my copies, some are in better condition than others.
    I believe the listing to be complete based on countless hours looking to fill the three issue gaps (Spring 1964, Fall 1964, Winter 1965). If you have knowledge of or copies of these issue gaps please share! I'd like this to be a complete listing.

Sharing to celebrate the magazine and the cars it featured as well as make the issues more accessible. I've shared this listing with several folks privately and hope they have found it helpful. I hope you find it helpful too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Volume 1
    Issue 1 : Spring 1963

Issue 2 : Summer 1963

Issue 3 : Fall 1963

Issue 4 : Winter 1963

Special Thanks to Mark (markk13) for typing this out for us.
    THIS ISSUE'S COVER - As a hint of what rests between the pages of this issue of POPULAR CUSTOMS, two full color customs grace this month's from cover.At top is a beautiful, asymmetrically designed '57 Chevrolet convertible by Dave Puhl, shop foreman for Star Kustom Shop in Wichita, Kansas. More color on these fine custom on page 16. Photos by Starbird. Beneath it is a wildly restyled Riviera constructed by Fostoria Customs for lucky owner Merle Taggart of Ohio. As a special bonus, more color on this unusual Buick will be found on page 12. Photos by Barris.

Table of Contents:
    THE ASTEROID, Complete coverage in FULL COLOR : 8
    MEET THE X-SONIC, Wild bubble=topped Corvette : 10
    RESTYLING THE RIVIERA, Our cover Buick in FULL COLOR : 13
    THE GOLDEN INDIAN, Custom Pontiac in FULL COLOR : 13
    GO AND SHOW 'FORTY, Street/strip coupe in FULL COLOR : 16
    KANSAS KUSTOM, Our cover Chevy in FULL COLOR : 16
    STRICTLY CUSTOM, Way-out Olds convertible in FULL COLOR : 16
    SIX GLAMOROUS CUSTOMS, ALL IN FULL COLOR : 21
    EIGHT GLAMOROUS CUSTOMS, ALL IN FULL COLOR : 24
    EIGHT MORE GLAMOROUS CUSTOMS, ALL IN FULL COLOR : 29
    STILL ANOTHER EIGHT CUSTOMS, ALL IN FULL COLOR : 32
    CAR SHOWS U.S.A., Complete rod/custom coverage : 33
    THE FIRST '64 FULL CUSTOM, Startling Merc convertible : 46
    ACCORDING TO THE EXPERT, Exclusive interview with Darryl Starbird : 50
    CUT IT ON DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, Windshield chopping made easy : 54
    NEVER TOO OLD, Mercs - custom bait forever : 58
    THE WINNER! AMERICA'S CUSTOM CHAMPION : 60
    ROLLICKING ROADSTER, Rolls Royce plus Ford : 64
    RESTYLE THAT ENGINE, Customizing under the hood : 66
    ROADSTER WITH A FLAIR, Joe Wilhelm's Amazing T : 70
    ALEXANDRA SPECIAL, Ford or Cadillac? : 71
    IF IT SHOWS - UPHOLSTER IT! Stitchin' and sewn' : 72
    THE INTERNATIONAL CAR CLUB ASS'N, For all custom drivers : 76
    GO ROD FOR SHOW, Combining speed and looks : 77
    CUSTOM CORVETTE CONSOLE, Updating older 'Vettes : 78
    BOMBER FROM BOULDER, Colorado custom/rod hauler : 80

Regular Departments
    SPEAKING OF CARS : 5
    THE SPOTLIGHT : 6
    WHAT'S NEW FOR YOUR CAR? : 82

Volume 2
    Issue 1 : Summer 1964

Special thanks to Mark (markk13) for typing this out for us.
    THIS ISSUE'S COVER - All that color is just a preview of what's waiting for you on the inside of this issue of POPULAR CUSTOMS.Our feature car is the beautiful Kandy Kart. You can see more of it (in full color, too) beginning on page 16. For more grilles, see page 50; wild interiors, turn to page 20; far-out powerplants, take a look at page 42.

Table of Contents:
    GREAT GLASS, Rare Corvette running gear : 4
    CUSTOM BUILDER'S HOLIDAY, Dream car of a custom designer : 6
    THE OAKLAND ROADSTER SHOW, Complete coverage with FULL COLOR : 8
    THE KANDY KART, One of the great customs in FULL COLOR : 16
    KANSAS CITY 210, Rare transportation - Missouri style : 18
    ON THE INSIDE, Wild wild interiors in FULL COLOR : 20
    HAPPY GO LUCKY, What a way to go! : 26
    A PAIR OF HAULERS, These are trucks? In FULL COLOR : 28
    CUSTOM RODS, Gallery of rare street machines in FULL COLOR : 32
    WILD POWER, Pretty powerplants on parade : 42
    MY LIFE FOR MY CUSTOM, The practical choke of Ferguson Fewm : 46
    GRILLE WORK, They've got you, coming or going : 50
    NERF BARS, How to make a tp accessory : 54
    TOPS IN TAILLIGHTS, Ideas, ideas for any custom : 56
    BALTIMORE BLACKIE, East coast eye turner : 60
    RECESSED LICENSED PLATE BOXES, A complete POP CUSTOMS how-to-do-it : 62
    RARE, RARE, RANCHERO, Custom winner with a bed : 66
    WHEELS, WHEELS, WHEELS, Round-about style winners : 68
    TRIM TRIO, Three variations in a Chevy theme : 72

Issue 2 : Winter 1964

Issue 3 : Spring 1965

Issue 4 : Summer 1965

Volume 3
    Issue 1 : 1965 Fall

Issue 2 : 1966 January

Issue 3 : 1966 February / March

Issue 4 : 1966 April / May

THIS ISSUE'S COVER - Just about everyone interested in custom cars has heard of the Alexander Brothers from Detroit., but not too many have had the pleasure of meeting them. That's one of the their lesser-known Ford Custom Car Caravan cars on the cover at top, and interviewer Bob Hegge talks things over with the talented team beginning on page 30. That's customizer Darryl Starbird's latest and quite possible greatest creation towards the bottom of the cover. It's mighty SCORPION, and Darryl shows us how he built it starting on page 8.

Issue 5 : 1966 June / July

THIS ISSUE'S COVER - displays two very handsome pieces of lookable, go-able machinery. Roy Johnson's Mustang is the neatest conversion job on Ford's famous steed that we've seen in a long time - and Roy (Tubbs, as he's know to his friends) did it all himself. Of course, working at Barris Kustom City didn't have a THING to do with it. Oh yeah! Then there's Jim Hodge's Mighty Green T, a glass bucketed, Chevy-runnin', street machine that's been in and out of as many movies as it has garages. Coverage of the cover cars begins on page 8, and George Barris receives a tip of the hat for the colorful camera work.

Issue 6 : 1966 August / September

THIS ISSUE'S COVER - Pickups are always customizing favorites, and a lot seem to have cropped up in this issue. Heading the lot is the Clean Camino, detailed beginning on page 10 in case the cover photograph doesn’t show enough of it. Bob Hegge was the lensman on this one. Below is an old, old favorite. A magazine cover car in the mid-50’s, this chopped Mercury has been restyled and restored to suit today’s tastes. Mark Jury shot the WILD CHILD in color, and again in black and white which begins on page 18.

Table of Contents:
    THE SPOTLIGHT, Words from the Editor : 5
    WHAT'S NEW, The latest in custom accessories : 6
    LET'S TALK KUSTOMS, By our own Dave Puhl : 9
    THE CLEAN CAMINO, Stylized and practical - our cover car : 10
    REMEMBER WHEN?, A backward look at some great customs : 14
    WILD CHILD, A radical, restored Merc., cover car no.2 :18
    DRIVERLESS DRAG MACHINES, Why not? : 22
    A DREAM OF A TRUCK, Looks like something from the past - but isn't : 26
    I.C.A.S. WINNERS, The nation's top show winners, 22 of 'em : 30
    KUSTOM KING GEORGE BARRIS, and how he got that way : 36
    DRIVETESTING STARBIRD'S SCORPION, You asked for it - here it is : 44
    UPHOLSTER IT YOURSELF, Two easy how-to's for your car's interior : 50
    MUSTANG RESTYLED PROJECTS, A pair of how-to's fro the horsey set : 56
    SHOW LOW HAULER, Cuttin' a pickup way way down : 60
    HALF AND HALF, Which half to you like? : 62
    BLUE PEARL : Details of a favorite ICAS winner : 64
    THE KOOL, KRUEL KAR KURSE, By funnyman, Carl Kohler : 68
    DOUBLEHEADER SWEEPSTAKES, Two famous customs - to be given away! : 72
    THE END, The very last word : 74

Special Issues
    1001 Custom Car Ideas 1966
    Last edited by Brian Morris; 01-05-2014 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Formatting & Content updates

Dude, I love puppies, dude!

User Info Menu

some good stuff right there dude!

Rivullac
    WOW! Thanks for sharing! Just went on E-bay and bought a few!
    Last edited by Rivullac; 11-05-2013 at 11:12 AM.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

the january issue you are looking for is on ebay for 5.99. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Popular-Cust...d#ht_595wt_721
    Last edited by Dirty Deno; 11-05-2013 at 11:38 AM.
    Low and fast.

♠ LBCC Chicagoland ♠

User Info Menu

^^^ yeah. With shipping it's $10 total... I try to pick them up for 2 or 3 bucks plus the ride. I'm a cheapskate.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

oh, i didnt look at shipping, im a cheap ass too.
    Low and fast.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Thanks Brian..... this is a great resource to have here. I was also wondering about those "gaps".

From the looks of it, I'm only missing summer '63, which looks like a good one. I also have a couple later ones: "1001 Custom & Rod Ideas" from spring '67 and fall '68. The '67 one states on the inner cover "by the editors of Popular Customs Magazine" with big name customizers listed as editorial contributors. Lots of cool stuff, but the addition of "Rod" to the title tells you where it's going.
    "The world can be a crappy and negative place sometimes, so it goes a long way when something as simple and irrelevant as a car can bring a huge smile to someone's face." - Rasputin

http://wheelsareeverything.com/

♠ LBCC East ♠

User Info Menu

Thanks, Brian. It's cool to see them all together in one place. They're sure packed full of good stuff.

♠ LBCC So Cal ♠

User Info Menu

Awesome!! That 64 elco on the cover of spring 65! I will keep an eye out for ur missing issues at the swaps over here

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

I've got a few of these in my collection, as well... awesome contribution, Brian.

George, that red Elco on the Aug/Sep 1966 cover had me doing a quadruple-take... damn.
    I think we can do better than that...

♠ LBCC High Priest ♠

User Info Menu

I love everything about this magazine. Even the stuff in there that's a little wonky helps to shed light on a genre that is greatly ignored or unknown. It also had a lot to do with helping me develop my own theories on period possible styling for customs of this era.

This thread is a good reminder for me to go back and figure out which issues I'm missing. I'm long overdue on completing my collection.
    Tradition didn't end in 1964

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Looks like a cool magazine. I'll look out for it at the Goodguys show this weekend.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Thats a cool collection! I could spend hours just flipping through old little page mags...

♠ LBCC Sweden ♠

User Info Menu

Wow!
    1960 Oldsmobile Super 88
    1964 Oldsmobile 442 conv.
    1964 Ford Galaxie 500

♠ LBCC East ♠

User Info Menu

I wonder how difficult/ expensive it would be to get the rights to reproduce these like Rodder's Journal has been doing with the Dan Post books and Throttle Magazine?
    Probably not practical, but how cool would it be if we had these as support items instead of Tshirts like every other club has?

♠ LBCC High Desert ♠

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nappy View Post
    I wonder how difficult/ expensive it would be to get the rights to reproduce these like Rodder's Journal has been doing with the Dan Post books and Throttle Magazine?
    Probably not practical, but how cool would it be if we had these as support items instead of Tshirts like every other club has?
    That would be amazing. Plus, it would be nice to have copies that you didn't have to worry about falling apart in your hands.

♠ LBCC High Priest ♠

User Info Menu

With the way publishers merged and absorbed each other through the years It'd probably be a clusterfuck just to figure out who owns the rights these days.
    Tradition didn't end in 1964

Carlow
    This is one area where I have always wanted to improve my knowledge, thanks man. Its been cool to see a few of these cars at Cali events like GNRS in recent years. Awesome.

♠ LBCC Chicagoland ♠

User Info Menu

This is awesome! Thanks Brian!
    Rollin til the wheels fall off!

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

Want want want.... Very little of this stuff ever in australia... And i should know, im a full time swap meet mag dealer. Generally aussies dont understand much american, especially customs. Maybe some guys mite have some they'd like to part with... Or trade? ...For my own collection not for resale
    u may laugh cause im different~~~~i laugh cause youre all the same