User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chroming parts

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

I see these guys at the swap meet in Dallas earlier this year. They had a shit ton of bumpers, grilles etc all rechromed and looking very nice for way cheaper than you could have them done yourself. They were dealing too, 52 Chevy grille they had marked for 650 ended up selling for 450 ! Then they bought up all of our old grilles we were selling. I don't have any association with em whatsoever but it might be worth looking into. I'll have more cash at the swap next year, I want that brand new shiny grille too...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rick; 10-02-2013 at 07:07 AM.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Bumping this thread back up so we can continue the discussion and maybe update the who's who and what's what of chrome shops in 2015.

Frank, where did you end up going for your chrome?

I'll be doing some bumper and grille pieces in the next few months. Last shop I went to was Van Nuys Plating in 2011 and they were stupid expensive! Like 400 for a small roll bar expensive. And the damn thing has rusts spots now. Won't go to them anymore.
    "Your car is so low, Bill Hines has to duck to get in." - Trent Sherrill

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Rechroming seems to be a hot topic every where. Alot of chrome swap meet venders burning people. Lets give the good chrome platers there props. I have not had anything rechromed in a long time and lost touch with who is still in business. Walkers chrome was here in my town for many years untill epa forced them out. They relocated to Redding Calif and I just found out they are still in business. Back in the day every show car and budget builder in nor cal used them. Quality and price. From what i hear they still have all their old bay area customers driving or sending pieces to them. Another older gentlemen in my town still takes all his chrome to be done in tijuana for dirt cheap. He won"t tell anyone where its at though.

♠️LBCC Colorado♠️

User Info Menu

I used El Paso plating in TX on the grille teeth and upper bar for my last '54. Quailty was very good in my opinion. Price was I think $35 a tooth and about $110 for the upper bar. They also did my tilt column shit lever recently for $35.
    "Writin' my will on a three-dollar bill"

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eryk View Post
    Bumping this thread back up so we can continue the discussion and maybe update the who's who and what's what of chrome shops in 2015.

Frank, where did you end up going for your chrome?

I'll be doing some bumper and grille pieces in the next few months. Last shop I went to was Van Nuys Plating in 2011 and they were stupid expensive! Like 400 for a small roll bar expensive. And the damn thing has rusts spots now. Won't go to them anymore.
    Hey Eryk, I have found a guy in Montebello.I was recommend to him from the SGV crew. I've sent him a few item to chrome. Its reasonably price for what they do.The dude is more of a middle man,hes a polisher and prepare parts to get chromed. The quality is mediocre but you are not spending the big bucks. Valley Plating is up there in price but there chrome is amazing.
    I haven't chromed my grill as of now because i've been bouncing with either Tube Grill or Stock Grill.

♠ LBCC High Desert ♠

User Info Menu

I have used Valley Plating for a lot of stuff. There used to be a place in Palmdale (I think it was either WAY south on Sierra Highway or on Pearblossom) Don't know if he is still in business. Maybe Bob_o knows ...
    1969 Mercury Montego MX -- ¡Cállate la boca!
    Roach Motel II -- 1968 Fairlane 500 Wagon

"Two on the street is worth more than 20 on the board." -- 64sled

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

I think I know what place you're talking about John. They aren't in business anymore. There was a small garage on 6th street too. But they were a middleman for some shop in LA. They just sell 26" chrome wheels now.
    "Your car is so low, Bill Hines has to duck to get in." - Trent Sherrill

♠ LBCC High Desert ♠

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eryk View Post
    They just sell 26" chrome wheels now.
    Hahaha!
    1969 Mercury Montego MX -- ¡Cállate la boca!
    Roach Motel II -- 1968 Fairlane 500 Wagon

"Two on the street is worth more than 20 on the board." -- 64sled