User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1962 Bonneville from Aus.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

1962 Bonneville from Aus.

Sooooooo this happened yesterday...

Untitled4.jpgUntitled.jpgUntitled2.jpgUntitled3.jpgnew suspension2.jpg

At my mate and club member's shop Down Town Kustoms. we used the stock spring mounts on the diff, and cut out the uppers and used some laser cut mounts with re7 bags.
    The front isn't finished yet, but is getting a similar set-up to Harry's. Relocated shock, and re6 bags. It's all looked after by an Accuair e-level system.

At the moment, on 225/70/15 tyres the rear of the chassis at the trailing arm mounts is 1" off the ground. And I'm limited at the front by the steering arms being about 8mm off the ground when aired out.

It won't roll when aired out due to a lack of tyre clearance. The 225's are a wee bit too wide, and if I go down to a 205/65/15 I can get chassis on ground (can you tell I hang out with minitruckers? lol) Might go to a 205/70, but that's something to worry about next year.

A little info on the car itself:
    '62 Bonneville, built in New Jersey, imported to aus sometime between 1962 and 2002.
    It has a satin pearl green body, silver flake roof (nowhere near enough flake), 15" smoothies, and a lot of worn out suspension rubbers.
    It still has the 389, but it has a set of forged pistons, and Isky cam and a weiand manifold. For some unexplainable reason when I bought it, it had a 780cfm Holley carb on it, which was way too big. I've gone down to a 600cfm which I still think is too big. The motor feels it's whole 51 years old, it's a bit tired, but for the moment it still works. It has a frankensteined turbo400 behind it. I saw frankensteined because it's a chevy pattern body, which obviously doesn't fit a poncho. So they cut the bellhousing off, welded a plate to the body, then welded some other pontiac bellhousing to the other side of the plate. It seems to have worked ok, not great, but ok. It lasted about 10 years before it finally stuffed a few seals on me back in march.

Plans:
    The usual. Straighten the body plus a couple of little mods I think the body needs. I'm tossing up whether I want to keep the trim or not. Paint it. Way more flake on the roof and some candy, and a satin pearl on the body. It's too dark at the moment, there are a bunch of nice body lines on this thing (look at Harry's) that are hidden somewhat by the dark paint. Then do an interior, and put a babyseat in the back for my first born due in october, a stereo (got the old stuff from my subaru, that'll do) and maybe change the wheels.

So there we go. Hopefully it'll be finished this week coming as I have a show on sat I want to take it to. I'll take some more pics once I've cleaned it up, it's filthy.

The front gets a bit lower than that pic of just the front wheel, as it's still on the hoist there...

♠ LBCC Chicagoland ♠

User Info Menu

Looks Rad.

agreed on the 225 being too big - 205's should look (and roll) right at home.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

got it home last week, here are some quick snaps from when i picked it up. I have to be a bit careful how I air out the front as on dead flat concrete there is 5mm between bottom of a steering linkage and the ground.
    IMAG0321.jpgIMAG0322 (4).jpgIMAG0318.jpgIMAG0326 (2).jpg

It only went a couple of inches lower, but my god, I was so stoked to be able to air it up and drive over speedbumps without having to worry about scraping or damaging anything.

So happy...

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Bet you're happy ... The car looks right, she's a real beauty.
    5 on 5

♠ LBCC High Desert ♠

User Info Menu

Looks badass. '62 is by far one of GM's finest years.

♠ LBCC Chicagoland ♠

User Info Menu

Very nice looking poncho! that thing lays out nice!

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

cool car. id get some 14s though

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Sooooooooooo....

This is on it's way from france:

In a few weeks it's getting pulled apart, having some minor rust repairs on the doors and the rear left side guard done, and then stripped back and repainted.

I'm 99% sure of the base colour, which is VW LB6T teal:

And then a whole bunch of pearl on top. The roof will be stripped back, reflaked, and then have an appropriate amount of candy and lacework applied. This time there will be enough flake on the roof. The current job has gaps between the flake you could park a bus in... Just need to pick which paint brand.

I need to get some front end components so it actually steers straight as well, haha.

Things are happening, finally...

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Cool car need sum 205 x 70 x 15s for my olds.
    Only coz im stuck with 15s due to massive brakes
    1973 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser - 455 Rocket Big Block - (0)(0) PROJECTILE AFTERBIRTH (0)(0)
    1979 Ford T-bird - 351 Windsor - Project DIRTY BIRD
    1970 Dodge Charger 500 - 383 Big Block

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Bad ass ride! Nice to see some old school Severed reppin down under!

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Your plans sound cool! Those 62's are really nice cars. I used to have a 1962 Bonneville STW many years ago...

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Looks good!

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

So I'm going to be one of those jerks who posts a black and white pic of the test panels he just did...

After seeing this colour I don't think I'm going with a satin clear anymore...

Please ignore my sweet "kustom" fingerprinting skills...
    Last edited by Poncho B; 06-04-2014 at 05:02 PM.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Great Poncho! I like the GM hardtops of this area! I agree, IŽd use a gloss clear...

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Amazing lace! Can't wait to see...
    "When the going gets weird, the weird go pro."

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

dude that test color looks so good in black and white! fuck yes!
    Ive been doing it wrong.

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

Now 21 days since you posted b&w teasers, surely you've wet rubbed and buffed that shit by now..UP DATE!! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    All I want to do is cruise an obscenely over sized vehicle while consuming our precious fossil fuels at an alarming rate.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

hahaha, i was just being a goose. car won't be painted until about november, that was a test panel on a spare bent up bootlid.

hang on while i get the colour photos.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Here we go, so this is the base colour I've settled on, still experimenting with pearls and flakes for the body. Progress is slow because to be perfectly honest I'm enjoying being a new dad and hanging out with my daughter. The car will be done when it's done, no rush.

I will ask a question of you good people tho, I find myself stumped on colour for the roof tho. I can't make up my mind. I can't decide between going with a complimentary blue/green colour on the panels or if I want to use a contrasting colour like a deep burnt orange or a purple or something for the panels.

Every time I think i've made up my mind i imagine the other option and think I like it more. This has got me stumped...

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Sits down NICE!
    "When the going gets weird, the weird go pro."