User Tag List

Page 1 of 13 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: tube grilles / custom grilles late 50's to the 70's

In Heaven, TCB

User Info Menu

tube grilles / custom grilles late 50's to the 70's

I wanted to get a thread going on tube grilles. Everything from the tech aspect to opinions to pictures etc. From store bought kits to over the top one offs. Experiances installing / making them. Which type you like best etc. I'm at work on my phone right now. But tonight ill put up some Pics etc. I'm getting ready to start moving on the sonic reducer (64 electra*) and my plans have changed. I wanna start getting some ideas down so I can pick up where I left off with a custom front and rear end treatment before I finish the body work. Thanks in advance!
    Outside of society, they're waitin' for me.

http://faceoffumanchu.blogspot.com/

"Fuck that! I'm not scared. I'll go cruising by myself!"
    -eric

In Heaven, TCB

User Info Menu

Re: tube grilles / custom grilles late 50's to the 70's

I am thinking right now about a grille in the rear to like that 60 starliner from gribbles photos. So fronts and backs.

-eric

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Take your Meds, and finish your VAN!
    Are you medicated?

♠ LBCC Nor Cal ♠

User Info Menu

Mike, I want you to make a tube grill for my Riviera..!!

maybe we could work out a trade of some kind..?? 028.gif
    ♠ 1965 Buick Riviera ♠
    ♠ 1952 Chevy Truck ♠
    ♠ 1938 Ford Deluxe Coupe ♠

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...uirrelrivi.jpg

Rivullac

You gonna pierce his taint for a grill?

♠ LBCC Nor Cal ♠

User Info Menu

Haha ZING
    Just call me Taboo. Collar popped, fuck off........

64 caddy 6 window sedan deville

In Heaven, TCB

User Info Menu

Geez. Thanks for all the info. And keeping it on topic. That's helping me a lot fuckers. This could be the makings of a good thread. Fuck tards. Lol.

-eric

Rivullac

Sorry ,didnt know you already had it pierced

In Heaven, TCB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rivullac

Cocksucker.

-eric

♠ LBCC High Priest ♠

User Info Menu

ANAL SEX BEAD!!!

hahahaha
    Tradition didn't end in 1964

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by F-U Manchu!

Cocksucker.

Someone's being kind of pissy. I don't have any pics. And I'm tormented on grilles right now too. I can't decide if I want the chrome one and then run floating bullets below it and more bullets in the nostrils or if I want to run the painted one with expanded metal in the mouth and more in the nostrils. I'm thinking chrome and bullets, It looks good in my head, but I need to make a mockup. I'll look for some tube grilles in my small pages.

♠ LBCC Nor Cal ♠

User Info Menu

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha

Seriously though, we talked about it a bit. I wanna see some tube grilles too. Just have to figure out my front turn signals to tie in, if I do one, cause stock, the grille flows into the signals under the headlight... Hmmmm
    Just call me Taboo. Collar popped, fuck off........

64 caddy 6 window sedan deville

Rivullac

Check out customgrills.com,lots of cool stuff on there....the grill on my Caddy is made from stainless...weighs about 800 lbs, we mounted the turn signals behind the grill, you can only see them if I use them.And Mike, you might have your panties caught on your piercing

In Heaven, TCB

User Info Menu

Mike, you might have your panties caught on your piercing
    Errol. One day I'm coming to NC and your gonna tattoo me and shortly thereafter give me head lol. You dick.

You guys are like a rational thought at the republican national convention. Completely useless.

Fuck custom grilles dot com. I'm looking for some pictures and or insight for something a little more authentic ro 1967.

XOXO
    Mike.

-eric

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Mike, I thought about doing a tube grille on the Cutlass. Mostly because my uncle had one on his 65.

In looking back at examples from the early 60's to the late 70's I see a couple different patterns/trends. One is tube size. Seems to me that tube grilles got smaller as time went on. I see lots of examples of larger floating tubes and tubular grille surrounds from the early 60's that are over an inch in diameter. One reason might be because grille openings were larger on 50's cars. Given the body styles of mid to late 60's automobiles, you could see how the trend shifted to thinner tubes. The grille openings were shorter and wider. To make the most of that space, it makes sense to use smaller tubes to stack more and play on that low/wide styling theme that many cars had. Also, as you move into the late 60's you see more and more cars having hidden headlights from the factory to make the grille opening more continuous and less cluttered(think 68 impala). The only way to do that to a car that didnt have the feature from the factory was to sink the headlights back behind the grille. Smaller tubing increased the number of gaps, thus allowing more light to shine through than if larger tubing was used.

Another trend that I see evolve in that time period is the use of square tubing instead of round tubing. Typically, round tubing was used more than square in the earlier days. As I look at later photos, I see more grilles and accents in square tubing than in previous eras. I think that might be how twisted grilles started. I see those as more of a 70's thing than a 60's trend. It makes sense because the natural progression would be to twist the square tube to give it more flare. If I had to guess at a progression, it would go: larger round(over an inch-->smaller round(one inch and under)-->smaller square-->twisted-->really small(half inch and less, more modern). And if I had to choose the right tubing for a late 60's style grille, it would be 3/4" round tube. Those are just my own personal observations as someone who's put a little thought into it before. Of course there are always exceptions. And the beauty of a custom touch like a tube grille is that you can use anything that you think looks good on your car and works well with your build. Good luck buddy.
    "Your car is so low, Bill Hines has to duck to get in." - Trent Sherrill

In Heaven, TCB

User Info Menu

Eryk, just the kind of stuff I was wanting to hear. I've got those ami bezels that I'm dying to use with cibie headlights. I know that's more 64 65 barris style. So I'm not looking to be on the dot period. I wanna mix it up but within a couple of years period. I really wanna go with an authentic feel albeit something that could technically be picked apart. Kind of a loose interpretation of 65 to 70. I don't need this info right this second because I am only in the planning stage. I am expecting some cash soon and want to dump most of it into the 64 parts wise. The cibie lights and bracketry is about 5 bills. Etc. By any chance in the coming week think you can do some scons of customs from that era? I don't wanna copy but instead do my own take of it. Your picking up what I'm laying down right?

-eric

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by F-U Manchu!
    Your picking up what I'm laying down right?
    Fo sho. More period possible than period correct, que no. Interpreting it your own way is the best way to approach it, and you're good at that. I'll see if I can scan some examples. Harry probably has some good stuff from that era too.
    "Your car is so low, Bill Hines has to duck to get in." - Trent Sherrill

♠ LBCC Resident Therapist ♠

User Info Menu

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life." -Winston Churchill

In Heaven, TCB

User Info Menu

Great example Ryan. That front end is way similar to an electra. And Eryk that's exactly what I'm saying. .

-eric

♠ LBCC East ♠

User Info Menu

I posted this one up a while ago when you were first talking about the Cibie headlights. From one of the 'Barris Custom Technique' books...