User Tag List

Thread: 1958 Mercury Monterey "Alice"

1958 Mercury Monterey "Alice"

I can't find my old topic on here, Well, long story short, I found this car a year ago on eBay for $1800 while I was in Iraq. We fell in love, Blah, Blah, Blah.....Okay. Here's where she's at right now for those that haven't seen her yet............

This is the very first time I've ever washed her as well. I've owned her for almost a year and i'm just now getting aquianted.

This is the other day when I took her out to get a little sun.

So far the only modifications that have been done are installing the four sleepyeye headlight covers, putting on the NOS hood ornament that was in the glovebox and hanging a disco ball from the rearview. This car has been smoking real bad since my dad drove it home from Detroit (Thanks a million dad) and today we finally got to find out why:

Ypu, that's the pushrod. Believe it or not I was happy as hell when I saw this because I wasn't sure if it was rings, valves, or God knows what.

Yup, come Monday I'm buying all new pushrods. Hopefully my Supremes will have come by then and I won't go on a shooting rampage like I did earlier this week :oops: I got to run to Detroit to pick up my pushrods, then get my wheels shod. The only other mechanical problem is the massive exhaust leak on the passenger side due to a bunch of broken exhaust studs. Once we get that straightened out, we'll be sitting on chrome and hitting on all eight. I'm not gonna give anything away, but I just got done ordering a few things from Suicidedoors.com. DirtyT is gonna be my savior for the next chapter of the project, hopefully going to take place nexr weekend. Comments, critisisms, suggestions, hatred and Random Crap welcomed with open arms.

Enjoy!!
    Last edited by SlammedNFlaked; 12-23-2010 at 09:09 AM. Reason: It's what the Lord wanted.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Congratulations. It looks like you're getting some much needed therapy; ie, working on your car.

I can't wait to see it dropped with some 'premes bolted up. 8)
    No rest for the wicked awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy
    Congratulations. It looks like you're getting some much needed therapy; ie, working on your car.

I can't wait to see it dropped with some 'premes bolted up. 8)
    Awww hell. You and me both brother.

Dude, I love puppies, dude!

User Info Menu

Rad!! i love those mercs! when i was in jr high their was a 2 door hardtop turnpike sitting in a neighborhood not to far from me and i always wanted it, one day while in highschool i drove by and the tree it sat under was gone along with the car! :shock: i never saw it again those things are so weird looking, they rule! that back bumper is wild!

Yeah, they are wierd as hell, especially from the front. That's okay, they're cheaper that way so guys like me can afford them. (Cheap bastards) The cool thing about my car is it was bought new by another cheap bastard, this thing was a radio delete. Still got the delete panel in there and everything. It's fitting.

good shit man! it sounds like your jumping right into it.
    those massive bumpers are gonna look good laying on the ground.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Its going down! :wink:

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Dude i just thought of some cool ideas to set this thing apart!(as if it needs to be any more different) ill tell ya about them next time i talk to you.

Sidewalk Spectator

User Info Menu

might still be some more damage, pushrods don't just bend themselves. most likely either valves were sticking or the timing chain jumped. there could be bent valves to go with the bent pushrods.

should be savable though. the 401 in my riviera came from an electra that was parked since 1980, it fired up but ran terrible, didn't have enough power to get itself up a hill, never mind the trailer! i found a bunch of bent and broke pushrods, the timing chain had jumped, had bent valves too. but i scabbed it together with used parts from another motor even reusing the metal head gaskets, cause i didn't know if the motor would be any good. five years later and it's running strong as my winter daily driver.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyT
    Dude i just thought of some cool ideas to set this thing apart!(as if it needs to be any more different) ill tell ya about them next time i talk to you.
    GiggittyGiggittyGiggittyGiggittyGiggittyGiggittyGi ggittyGooooooooooooooo!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ray
    might still be some more damage, pushrods don't just bend themselves. most likely either valves were sticking or the timing chain jumped. there could be bent valves to go with the bent pushrods.

should be savable though. the 401 in my riviera came from an electra that was parked since 1980, it fired up but ran terrible, didn't have enough power to get itself up a hill, never mind the trailer! i found a bunch of bent and broke pushrods, the timing chain had jumped, had bent valves too. but i scabbed it together with used parts from another motor even reusing the metal head gaskets, cause i didn't know if the motor would be any good. five years later and it's running strong as my winter daily driver.
    I am a little weary that might be a problem, but we ran a leak test on on the engine and it had 20% leakage. The guy (Felix) running the test builds drag engines and he said they'll go out to a race with as much as 50% leakage and still run full capacity. So I'm not too worried about the valves. The timing might need to be adjusted, however. Hopefully it will just be a matter of turning the distributer. I don't know engines that well, but hopefully we won't have to pop off the timing cover or anything. We'll find out tomorrow!!!

Quote Originally Posted by drgnbumpr63
    good shit man! it sounds like your jumping right into it.
    those massive bumpers are gonna look good laying on the ground.
    We're gonna try our best, we'll see what happens. You guys will be the first to know, though. Like Dirty said, "It's going down!!" Literally.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Good deal, man. She gonna be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopped63
    Good deal, man. She gonna be bad.
    She's becoming a little badder every day.

MAJOR updates today!!!

I drove an hour to Warren, Michigan to have these beauties made. It took about an hour wait, which I spend sitting in the LeBaron outside bumping tunes, picked them up and drove an hour back. Dropped them in, and she ran BEAUTIFULLY!!! My friend Felix was balls deep in another project, so I went home.......................

Hold up, whats this??

BEHOLD!!!!!

Hell yeah, finally after damn near getting an anurisim over these babies, my wheels are warm dry, and shiny as HELL!!!!

I'm thinking about mounting them backwards becuase I'm cool like that.

his shot gives you a good idea of how much reinforcing is going on here.

Cock diesel right here. Well done.

This is the only thing I'm worried about, there is about 1/2" of wheel the stud has to go through for the lugs to go on, not counting the washers. I may have to get longer studs all the way around. I'm not quite sure what to do about it. The stock steelies I have on her now are about half as thick as the Supremes.

Oh yeah, I actaully got something COOL from the DMV, for a change.

Tommorow I'm gonna wake up early and get these rims rubberized, then I'm gonna head back over to Felix's and get that exhaust leak fixed. The timing is a little off too, so we're gonna replace the pionts as well. Hopefully tomorrow this car will have a whole new look. We shall see. Any of you had problems with the super thick rims as regards to getting the lugs on?[/u

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Good shit, homeboy!!! 8)

What size are your spacers and are they the oval(unilug) kind? That makes a difference.
    "Your car is so low, Bill Hines has to duck to get in." - Trent Sherrill

Quote Originally Posted by Eryk
    Good shit, homeboy!!! 8)

What size are your spacers and are they the oval(unilug) kind? That makes a difference.
    They actaully didn't come with spacers, I have to go get those tomorrow. I'm assuming they would be oval. Did you have trouble getting yours to sit on the factory studs?

Metro Sexual

User Info Menu

pics or it didnt happen

xoxoxox,
    metty

Quote Originally Posted by metty
    pics or it didnt happen

xoxoxox,
    metty

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

haha awesome

♠ LBCC So Cal ♠

User Info Menu

Best pic ever. Someone pshop with this.

"Do your job........ DO YOUR FUCKEN JOB"!
    Cruzito