User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: '75 GMC Sierra

♠ LBCC High Desert ♠

User Info Menu

'75 GMC Sierra

It's been a tumultuous month, that's for damn sure. And things show no signs of slowing down... But I finally managed to get rid of my '03 Altima and just bought this 1975 GMC 1/2 ton. It's a 250 straight-6 with a 3 on the tree and has an original 63,000 miles on the odometer.

This is a bare bones truck, no power ANYTHING. But I'll slowly be upgrading the truck as I go along. Luckily, it came factory equipped with disc brakes up front. It's a uni-head, but the guy I bought it from included an earlier style 250 head, that will get rebuilt and put on with a 292 exhaust manifold and whatever intake I manage to score. The truck came stock with a 1 barrel rochester, but good friend Jerry just gave a me a 2GC that I'm going to rebuild and put in the truck using a 1bbl to 2bbl carb adapter, courtesy of my Pops. Plans are to first get this thing into top mechanical condition so that it can effortlessly take over the daily driving duties that my Buick has been handling since April. With any luck, I'll have the truck sitting a lil closer to Mother Earth within a couple of weeks. Long term aesthetic plans are still up in the air as of now. I'm just stoked to have a truck again! And the fact that I've always wanted my own Chevy 6 powered vehicle makes this doubly awesome for me. It's my Dad's fault I love these engines so much. Thanks Pop

Today, Diem and I handled some minor squawks in order to get ready to start driving the truck next week. This is going to be a slow build, since the Buick requires most of my time, money, etc. But eventually, I hope to make this truck into a very clean and cool daily driver.

More updates as things progress. Thanks for reading
    Last edited by bob_o; 05-12-2014 at 12:16 AM.

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

Very nice Bob. This is my favorite year for this generation. Love the round headlights. Can't wait to see it closer to the ground.

♠ LBCC High Desert ♠

User Info Menu

Looks pretty clean ...

What's the bolt pattern on those wheels?
    1969 Mercury Montego MX -- ¡Cállate la boca!
    Roach Motel II -- 1968 Fairlane 500 Wagon

"Two on the street is worth more than 20 on the board." -- 64sled

♠ LBCC Arizona ♠

User Info Menu

Love some square bodies pickemups! Have fun with it Bob_o.
    I'm sorry, I don't care how fucking groovy and melodic metal music might get, you do not EVER dance to metal. PERIOD. You might bang your head, swing and sway with the groove, jump up and down and pit with the other long-hair's, but you don't FUCKING DANCE TO IT.
    Bob_o

♠ LBCC Sweden ♠

User Info Menu

Awesome truck bob!! Gotta say I'm jealous
    1959 Buick Invicta Conv.
    1963 Pontiac Bonneville Coupe

♠ LBCC High Desert ♠

User Info Menu

Thanks guys.

John, it's 5x5". I'm thinking about putting my Buick Ralley's on it for the time being.

♠ LBCC High Desert ♠

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bob_o View Post
    Thanks guys.

John, it's 5x5". I'm thinking about putting my Buick Ralley's on it for the time being.
    I got your supremes, man. AWC 15 x 8's with 3 5/8 BS. NIB, NBU (though they have had tires mounted on them but never rolled for any length of time).
    1969 Mercury Montego MX -- ¡Cállate la boca!
    Roach Motel II -- 1968 Fairlane 500 Wagon

"Two on the street is worth more than 20 on the board." -- 64sled

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

nice score bob, love these trucks. excited to see where this goes
    Merry Christmas, SHITTERS Full

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Good stuff bob! Can't wait to see it low on roadies!
    5 on 5

♠ LBCC High Desert ♠

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazeejohn View Post
    I got your supremes, man. AWC 15 x 8's with 3 5/8 BS. NIB, NBU (though they have had tires mounted on them but never rolled for any length of time).
    Damn, I forgot you had those... I'm definitely interested

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

I have some ugly aluminum wheels that will fit!! Nice truck bob!

♠ LBCC Ambassador ♠

User Info Menu

I see lots of potential here.

So hey will you help me move?
    There's no I in barbeque team.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

I love column shifters. That's a blank canvas. You've certainly got an eye for style and that truck should clean up even better with a few simple mods.

Can you have Supremes and a rifle rack?

Carlow
    Very cool daily Bob. Can't wait to see where this goes. 63K, straight 6 and the same bolt pattern as the Buick...

♠ LBCC Nor Cal ♠

User Info Menu

Cool project, I'm curious to see what you've got in store for it! On the 292 exhaust swap-- make sure you check the flange patterns, there are 2-3 different styles. I believe the light duty exhaust will bolt right up, but it's been a while since I looked into it. Good luck, and congrats on the new daily!

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DRUGASM View Post

Hahahaha.

Drew, I love you.
    "Your car is so low, Bill Hines has to duck to get in." - Trent Sherrill

♠ LBCC Arizona ♠

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DRUGASM View Post
    I love column shifters. That's a blank canvas. You've certainly got an eye for style and that truck should clean up even better with a few simple mods.

As long as the racks and mosbergs are chromeplated!
    I'm sorry, I don't care how fucking groovy and melodic metal music might get, you do not EVER dance to metal. PERIOD. You might bang your head, swing and sway with the groove, jump up and down and pit with the other long-hair's, but you don't FUCKING DANCE TO IT.
    Bob_o

♠ LBCC High Desert ♠

User Info Menu

Not too much going on with the truck. Although, it did get sideswiped by a tweaker while it was parked in front of my house a couple of weeks ago! Check it out!

Nice, huh? Custom by Crunch. I won't see a dime outta that fucker... A few days later, a local guy saw my snaggletoothed bumper and flagged me down, informing me he had some parts that I need. So Diem and I go to check them out... This dude wants to sell me the entire front clip off of his '74 Chevy Blazer (inner fenders, outer fenders, core support, hood, hinges, etc), plus the front & rear bumpers (with brackets and hardware) for $125. SOLD. My buddy Marcus and I swapped the hood out (the one I bought is PERFECT), bolted up the rear bumper and swapped out the front bumper. Unfortunately, when we dropped the mangled remains of my front bumper, we saw that Mr. Dipshit Tweaker tweaked my fuckin' frame. Fortunately, it doesn't affect anything but how the bumper mounts. But the bumper bolted on straight, nonetheless. Rad.

A little over a week after all this goes down, this thing blows the head gasket. Awesome. Luckily, my lovely gf had just added me to her AAA that morning. Gotta love a rational, responsible and pragmatic woman My Dad took the 250 head that I bought with the truck, plus my 292 head and had Coast Auto Machining in Canoga Park build and machine me 1 good unit. So last weekend, the homie Josh and I pulled the uni-head off. That is one of the HEAVIEST damn heads I've ever had the misfortune of picking up. What a worthless p.o.s. Anyone need a boat anchor?

After we bolted the earlier style head to the factory block, we discovered something that neither him, my Pops, or myself knew... The pushrod's on a uni-head 250 are 2" longer than a standard deck 250. It never ends... I called Dad, asking if he had any. He said that he did, he just had to find them and would call me back. After calling me back, he discovered that he only had 11. Damn, 1 short. This is where Josh and I stopped on saturday:

This is what a Chevy 6 is supposed to look like. Seriously. F#$K a uni-head. Sunday, Pops came out and help me set up the Rochester MonoJet and install the 11 pushrod's that we had, while tentatively adjusting the rockers. We then ordered 1 pushrod from Napa (cost me $2.50 ) and called it a day. My carb rebuild kit and single pushrod ought to be here today. With any luck, I'll have this thing running tonight. After that, I'll just have to have the factory exhaust modified to fit the 292 manifold and I'll be back on the road. And there is of course my lack of a 2nd gear to deal with...

On the upside, my Dad scored me these:

We decided to hold off on installing them for a couple of reasons; I don't think the headers will clear my clutch & shift linkage and we decided to just get the truck up and running again as cheaply and easily as possible. Hopefully, this bitchin Clifford and some nice headers will be residing under the hood of the truck sometime in the near future... 6=8!

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

That sucks about the mishap bob! Was it a hit and run?
    The Clifford intake with the dual exhaust definately makes that old in-line alot sexier!

Can you school me on the uni-head? I don't understand why they suck?
    My first truck was a 1980 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe, with a 250 straight 6. It had a cracked head when we bought it, we replaced the head with a better one, but I was unaware of what a uni-head and standard head was.
    1964 Buick Wildcat
    1964 Buick LeSabre

♠ LBCC High Desert ♠

User Info Menu

Neil, it wasn't a Hit & Run, but it might as well have been. Long story short, I felt that putting myself in danger for $125 was not in my best interest, haha.

In 1975 Chevrolet changed the head design of their tried & true inliner, though the block remained the same. The new design featured an "integral" intake, where the intake and the head were 1 big-ass casting. The exhaust manifold bolted to the bottom of the integral intake. They are probably one of the single most complicated castings ever designed and produced. From what I can tell, they are more inefficient in every way from the older style "non-integrated" head. They don't flow as well, they are over-laden with emissions/smog b.s., they don't dissipate heat worth a shit and they just look like hell. Plus, you can't bolt on any hop-up goodies!

Uni-head:

Older style head: