User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The passing of Walt Prey

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roger O'Dell View Post
    I just talked to Bill he is at home, after his trip to the hospital, I asked him about the candy factory, he said he was not involved with it, It was Mario's who used to work for him, but after Mario passed another guy took over, and that he (Bill) painted a blue car and the put his name on it.
    Thanks Roger. I've since learned some more about the "Candy Factory" and the "Candy Connection", which followed on after Mario passed away.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

RIP, Great man gone, his art and spirrit is still here and wile be here forever
    SickSickSicks MPH....bag `m please!! Dutch Cruiser Company

Sidewalk Spectator

User Info Menu

Jim Robertson of Simi Valley sent me a photo of a 1961 Ford that he cruised the streets of Simi Valley in in 1969. Jim's Ford was painted by Bill Carter at Carter Pro Paint and pinstriped by Walt. A really cool car that I will return with more info on soon. Jim did also own a 1946 Chevrolet that Walt painted a couple of times...more about this later on too!

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Jim is on here. His board name is Toa.

Check it out. With pics of his rides.
    http://www.losboulevardosmessageboar...her-SoCaler...

Lots more pics of his car here too.
    http://www.losboulevardosmessageboar...stripers/page3
    "Your car is so low, Bill Hines has to duck to get in." - Trent Sherrill

gatoloco63
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfleye View Post
    Jim Robertson of Simi Valley sent me a photo of a 1961 Ford that he cruised the streets of Simi Valley in in 1969. Jim's Ford was painted by Bill Carter at Carter Pro Paint and pinstriped by Walt. A really cool car that I will return with more info on soon. Jim did also own a 1946 Chevrolet that Walt painted a couple of times...more about this later on too!

hmm thats the second car ive seen from back in the day with a small ww tire up front and a all black tire in the back was this common?

Sidewalk Spectator

User Info Menu

Haha, thanks for the links. I haven't seen those threads before, but then ya already knew

Quote Originally Posted by Eryk View Post
    Jim is on here. His board name is Toa.

Check it out. With pics of his rides.
    http://www.losboulevardosmessageboar...her-SoCaler...

Lots more pics of his car here too.
    http://www.losboulevardosmessageboar...stripers/page3

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Walt's Flames

f100.jpg

Recently I found the negative for this photo and had a print made. I bought the truck in 1974 or '75 from a lot that specialized in F100s. It was located on Atlantic or Long Beach Blvd., as best I remember. The truck was already painted black and I had Walt add the flames. Walt far exceeded my expectations and, needless to say, I was not at all disappointed with the result! Had in mind a '50s look and later added full length lake pipes. But given the time frame retro wasn't cool yet and the truck's look came in for a bit of ridicule. The older guys (like 30 plus!) got it though. Oddly enough I never took many pics. This is the only one I can lay my hands on now and it only came to light recently.
    Last edited by KID OG; 04-14-2012 at 10:11 AM.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

WOW.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Damn!! That truck is beautiful! I've always had a soft spot for F100's and 56's are my favorite. That truck just kills, and I dont even dig flames that much. Would love to see more pics of it!

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

thats friggin awesome

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

That truck is sick! Love the flames...

Sidewalk Spectator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gatoloco63 View Post
    hmm thats the second car ive seen from back in the day with a small ww tire up front and a all black tire in the back was this common?
    Nah- the only reason they're on there is that they came with the car, and weren't worn out yet. Not long after these pics were shot, a pair of skinny whites went onto the rear (and later, 4" deep Astro Supremes) and I lowered the front end down to 2" ground clearance. Needless to say, this attracted a great deal of interest from the law enforcement people.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Howard, what suspension/drive train were in your pickup? I love it, btw!
    I think we can do better than that...

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

up.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Howard, what suspension/drive train were in your pickup? I love it, btw!
    Looks like I've been busted (and not for the first time). Here's a pic of the truck's actual stance. Shackels with stock leaf springs. But I couldn't resist a "Photodrop" to get it looking the way I'd have liked it back in the day. Engine was stock Ford Y-block.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

All things considered, that was still pretty low. And it takes nothinbg away from the truck. Great looking machine Howard!

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

The photodrop is so well done that if you didnt say anything we would have thought it was its real stance.
    Sent from my ouiji board with black magic powers

- I Bomb Mes3 -

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

Aug issue of Lowrider has an article on Walt.

Sidewalk Spectator

User Info Menu

Thanks for the heads-up.
    I've been watching the magazine racks for months...it's about time!!

♠ LBCC Chicagoland ♠

User Info Menu

A nice little right up from Joe Ray appears in this month's issue of HOT ROD. Short but sweet.

Sidewalk Spectator

User Info Menu

I used to go to Walt's shop in Van Nuys in the early 70's to get a name striped on the side glass of my cars. Sometimes I'd scrape it off and go there for a new name. This was a Saturday "thing" at Walt's. His day to relax a bit and still make money. $5 for 1 color and $10 for 2 colors. There'd be a long line of Lowriders waiting. Like a cool hangout every Saturday morning. The girls would write down the name (usually the title of a song) and color, and collect the money. Then Walt would show up later like a rock star and do his thing. Sometimes I'd bring friend's cars that had to work saturday. Cars NICER than my own and making me look pretty tall. LOL. I remember the hood from the 1st and damaged Gypsy Rose leaning against the wall for inspiration for the 2nd Gypsy. Walt was an amazing talent. Him and Bill Carter are the 2 best painters that I actually knew
    If it ain't LOW, it ain't a Lowrider