User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The passing of Walt Prey

♠ LBCC Chicagoland ♠

User Info Menu

Sad news. Gypsy Rose was the car that introduced me to history of "lowriding". I'd seen other cars, but the few photos of Walt's work on that car was one of things that set me down the path away from 13's.

Howard, thanks for sharing that story, good stuff.

RIP

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

RIP

Sidewalk Spectator

User Info Menu

afbeelding2245oe.jpg (70.6 KB)

I am lucky to have Walt's striping on my car...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PREMIER CAR CLUB

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

I always told myself, "my next car will be striped by Walt"
    well now its too late. this sucks.
    cut, hammer, weld, drive !

http://cuthammerwelddrive.blogspot.com/

PANEL BEATERS C.C - WE GOT GREASE UNDER OUR NAILS, NOT IN OUR HAIR

Newb

User Info Menu

Sad news, indeed! Like many of you here and everywhere, I too, was inspired into pinstriping and Lowriding by the work of Walt Prey. On account of memories now 35 years old or so, the Gypsy Rose is probably "ground zero" for many of us now enjoying pinstriping and Lowriding because of the singular work on just one '64 Impala. I really never even knew he was a striper or did the fantastic work on "the Rose" till just a few years ago. All I ever knew was that he was the custom painter of it and was a leading "go to guy" for Lowrider paint jobs. There was so little about him in print yet, even here in Chi-Town, you always heard about him or his name.

A couple of years ago , Lowrider Magazine did a nice article about him in their OG series of profiles on the veterans and pioneers of Lowriding. My copy was swiped at work and I never was able to replace it. I sure would like to see that again now.

RIP Walt, you were an original and a originator....

Joel
    It's not how fast you go, it's how GOOD you look getting there!

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Aww man this sucks. Rest in peace Mr. Prey.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

RIP

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Candy Connection?

zx4.jpg

I've seen this "Candy Connection" logo on more than one car recently. I'm assuming it represents a fairly recent collaboration between Walt and Bill Carter. Post "Candy Factory"? Does anyone know if this is true?

Sidewalk Spectator

User Info Menu

Very sorry to hear this sad news. Not only have I been his customer numerous times, but we had many an enjoyable visit back in the old days. Always hoped I'd run into him again;
    he has made the appointment we all must make. My sorrow to his family for this loss, and hats off to a tremendous talent.

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

his son is bringing the nomad to the gnrs

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Walt Prey Memorial Service

zx4.jpgzx8.jpgzx12.jpgzx22.jpgzx19.jpgzx17.jpgzx15.jpgzx7.jpgzx11.jpgzx13.jpgzx9.jpgzx18.jpg

Memorial service at Forest Lawn today for Walt Prey.

Speakers included Walt's dad Ralph and Joe Ray from LOWRIDER Magazine.

LIFESTYLE Car Club brought out several fine examples of Walt's work.
    Last edited by KID OG; 01-15-2012 at 08:49 AM.

Sidewalk Spectator

User Info Menu

Goodbye, Walt.
    PREMIER CAR CLUB

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KID OG View Post
    zx4.jpgzx8.jpgzx12.jpgzx22.jpgzx19.jpgzx17.jpgzx15.jpgzx7.jpgzx11.jpgzx13.jpgzx9.jpgzx18.jpg

Memorial service at Forest Lawn today for Walt Prey.

Speakers included Walt's dad Ralph and Joe Ray from LOWRIDER Magazine.

LIFESTYLE Car Club brought out several fine examples of Walt's work.
    Thanks howard for posting these,wish i could have been there, im really going to miss walt, it was so nice to hang out with him and just BS about cars and painting, times ill never forget, a lot of guys know he was into model planes as a hobby but not too many knew he had a big love for building scale model cars,somtimes we would have a small two man model car show on the hood of what ever car he was striping, he was big into early roundy round cars, '39 chevy's , '40 ford's dirt racers,and 60 style customs, they all had custom paint and hand lettering! you have to see them to belive em ! mike his son is going to take some pics for me and when he does ill post them here in the model car tread, he actually had past a couple days before word got out, very few knew, his family wanted to collect his stripping box and some other stuff before the vultures started grabing for momentos, i think it was almost three days after his passing before it even hit the internet,anyway im very sorry your gone walt, everytime i pick up a brush or lay out a pattern ill think of you.
    howard, by the way while i was out in california in 2009 , that blue lincoln in your photos is the 2nd to last of one of my paint jobs that walt striped, i feel very fortunate to have had walt stripe anything ive painted and to have been friends,thanks walt !!
    Last edited by badseed; 01-20-2012 at 06:05 AM.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

"Thanks howard for posting these,wish i could have been there, im really going to miss walt, it was so nice to hang out with him and just BS about cars and painting, times ill never forget, a lot of guys know he was into model planes as a hobby but not too many knew he had a big love for building scale model cars,somtimes we would have a small two man model car show on the hood of what ever car he was stripping, he was big into early roundy round cars, '39 chevy's , '40 ford's dirt racers,and 60 style customs, they all had custom paint and hand lettering! you have to see them to belive em ! mike his son is going to take some pics for me and when he does ill post them here in the model car tread, he actually had past a couple days before word got out, very few knew, his family wanted to collect his stripping box and some other stuff before the vultures started grabing for momentos, i think it was almost three days after his passing before it even hit the internet,anyway im very sorry your gone walt, everytime i pick up a brush or lay out a pattern ill think of you.
    howard, by the way while i was out in california in 2009 , that blue lincoln in your photos is the 2nd to last of one of the paint jobs that walt striped, i fill very fortunate to have had walt stripe anything ive painted and to have been friends,thanks walt !!"

zx3.jpg
    zx2.jpg
    zx1.jpg
    zx4.jpg
    zx5.jpg

Gary, fabulous work by both you and Walt. We all know that LIFESTYLE expects nothing but the very best and that's exactly what is represented here. Truly a classic for the ages...
    Last edited by KID OG; 01-18-2012 at 08:59 PM.

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

Howard nice pictures, and always like to see Carter moving around.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Walt On Kustomrama

walt-riv.jpg

A nice page on Walt and his career has been added to the Kustomrama website.

http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Walt_Prey

Sidewalk Spectator

User Info Menu

Yeah, thanks for helping me creating this page Kid!!
    If anyone have more cars painted or pinstriped by Walt that needs to be added to this page please fill them in here and I will add them for sure!

walt-riv.jpg

A nice page on Walt and his career has been added to the Kustomrama website.

http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Walt_Prey

Sidewalk Spectator

User Info Menu

Another of Walt striping my Caddy..
    PREMIER CAR CLUB

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

cool pic topfan, even got his del taco cup in the background, he had a thing for del taco !

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

I just talked to Bill he is at home, after his trip to the hospital, I asked him about the candy factory, he said he was not involved with it, It was Mario's who used to work for him, but after Mario passed another guy took over, and that he (Bill) painted a blue car and the put his name on it.

zx4.jpg

I've seen this "Candy Connection" logo on more than one car recently. I'm assuming it represents a fairly recent collaboration between Walt and Bill Carter. Post "Candy Factory"? Does anyone know if this is true?