♠ LBCC Clubhouse ♠ - Powered by vBulletin
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Whitewall Tire Paint?

Anybody have any recommendations about getting the best results painting on a tire?

Seems like there are a variety of products that are marketed for this but wondered if they work or if some are better than others?

I've even heard that some suggest using one-shot.
    Tradition didn't end in 1964

Boulevard Bomber Dirt n Potatoes's Avatar
    ''Whitewall Tire paint" the product is a liquefied rubber compound that adheres to the tire never fully hardening. The paint, even when completely dry remains elastic enough to survive as a part of the tire. 1 year guarantee on finish. You can score some on Ebay

I tried it once, it sucked. Turned brown. Brand new tires, followed all the directions. Don't do it

_
    what Blades said ^^

unless your talking about a Lowrider bike or maybe plastic model

Scotch pad and Ajax bro

Harry, I dont know what youre using it for, but Ive used it with success a few years back on a buddys car. I have recently learned about the art of shaving/grinding the whitewall on a radial tire. Im overly impressed and would recommend it to anyone.

I'm just interested in painting some of the letters on the tire, not a full stripe. I've been curious about that stuff on ebay but it seems like it only comes in a quantity that's way larger than I'd need so I've refrained from testing it out.

Since these wouldn't be daily driver tires I'm mostly wondering how it holds up when you attempt to clean the tire later on. If it doesn't adhere perfectly well, its fine with me if it comes completely off with scrubbing, but don't want to end up in a situation like Blades describes where the tire looks like ass and there is nothing that can be done about it.

What product do guys use that cut stripes into tires? Like the dudes that make 22-inchers look like Vogues?

Id imagine if youre only painting letters, you would be fine. There probably wont be enough white area to noticeably discolor. The stuff I used was the ebay can and it was a very strange consistency. Almost like melted rubber.

As for cutting the tires, I know the big inch tires are cut with a dremel. Mine were done with a 36 grit flap disk on a grinder, followed by 80 on a da and finished off with 120 on a da. Mostly any tires with a raised white letter or a narrow white can be ground out to an extent.

I understand about cutting them, but I'm curious about what paint do they use to color the lines since they're not always white. Tires with an existing whitewall can be shaved to expose more white, but blackwalls don't have any color buried in the sidewall.

Would the strange consistency of the ebay stuff allow for painting the fine details of painting tiny letters?

Yeah, you should be fine. Probably use a pinstriping brush or similar but i dont see why it wouldnt work. Its not lumpy or anything like that, just not normal paint.

I was *TOLD* by a guy that runs a "donk" shop locally they repainted Vogues with yellow street paint.

Interesanté

1957 Pontiac Pathfinder 2 Door Wagon
    1964 Impala SS
    The Low Down
    70's Street Machines

In the past I've used a tire marker that I got at Pep Boys but didn't hold up for shit. Over time it cracked and discolored and I hardly even put any miles on the tires.

What about using an actual white paint marker.....that white wall paint is garbage.

Boulevard Bomber lil wagen trails's Avatar
    Hear check out this link, its from Iceland of all places, pretty comprehensive though. I have a tin of this i want to do some tyres for my Panel van, just can't findwhere i put the f****R
    http://www.mbzponton.org/valueadded/other/tirepaint.htm

Boulevard Bomber ACCESSORYFREAK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lil wagen trails View Post
    Hear check out this link, its from Iceland of all places, pretty comprehensive though. I have a tin of this i want to do some tyres for my Panel van, just can't findwhere i put the f****R
    http://www.mbzponton.org/valueadded/other/tirepaint.htm
    DAMN IT.... you beat me to it. This looked the most promising to me too but i never went forward with that project and sold the tires. I did by some tire black though from an ebay supplier. dont get that shit on your skin, it burns like crazy.

There was a dude that came through the produce plant that had all six Michelin's (Sp) done on his semi tractor. He did the Michelin Man in silver with blue for the band, and the letters in white. He said he used paint pens form an arts and crafts store. Drove the hell out of it too.
    Steamboatimagery.com

When I first got my Chrysler I ground down the tire for the 2" wide white look. I used a Makita and a circular wire brush. The rubber just came off. I used Krylon white plastic paint to brighten it up and it looked pretty good from afar. Up close you could see the grind marks. But if lookin on the cheap I'd do it again.

I read somewhere where someone use "White-out" on the tires with good success. IT suposedly stays elastic and retains its whiteness.
    "Whats wrong with me? You tell me and I will tell you if you are right or not!"
    http://www.kustomairsuspensions.com

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/albu...g/user/strtrdr

Harvey's Front Row
    It's the same as spray on hair, a fucking joke.