User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dave's Shelby Lowrider ~ ~ ~ April 27, 2012

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Re: Dave's Shelby Lowrider

Quote Originally Posted by Eryk
    Haha. Good explanation. I was just busting balls. Project looks great!

But it's not too late to change your direction and own up to your thread title. It's been done to a mustang or two in the past. Although it takes vision and balls, the size of which aren't seen very often these days. :D

Every time I see that old pic of that '69 Mustang Lowrider, the fact that it has a rumble seat keeps crackin' me up :D Don't get me wrong, I'm not making fun of it, I really dig that Mustang. Does it still exist?
    KRAZY KRAUTS
    Friends & Family, Cars & Bikes
    KRAUT PIPES SAVE LIVES!

♠ LBCC High Priest ♠

User Info Menu

[youtube:294ixd0h]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73_tbkXXYRs[/youtube:294ixd0h]
    Tradition didn't end in 1964

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Thank you most graciously Harry. Amd I mean that in the most significant way. Jim Morrisson is one of my most favorite idols of all time in the music industry and I think it was Electra Records that gave him a Shelby as a gift (in which he ended up crashing up and walked away on the Wilshire or Santa Monica Boulevard.... this is a glorious piece of footage indeed my good friend)......... and thank you.
    The only thing on my mind is how good she's running. Labels are for those in need of recognition. - Diém

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Damn Dave , thats as nice a stang as i have ever seen , Nice work !
    Regards
    Peter Allan
    President
    Strangebreed CC

♠ LBCC High Priest ♠

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Thank you most graciously Harry. Amd I mean that in the most significant way. Jim Morrisson is one of my most favorite idols of all time in the music industry and I think it was Electra Records that gave him a Shelby as a gift (in which he ended up crashing up and walked away on the Wilshire or Santa Monica Boulevard.... this is a glorious piece of footage indeed my good friend)......... and thank you.
    You bet Dave.

That's what its all about right?

Its nice to be reminded that there actually was a time when Shelbys were flogged with a can of High Life on the dash instead of having their glovebox doors autographed and changing hands for six figures.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

My favorite mustang body style and color combo EVER hands down freakin EVER LOVE this ride!
    Looking for 65 galaxie back window/cragar starwires!

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Re: Dave's Shelby Lowrider - Update May 30, 2010

Today I got to drive the Shelby for the first time in 34 1/2 years. Pictures coming.

And she sits LOW.
    The only thing on my mind is how good she's running. Labels are for those in need of recognition. - Diém

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin
    You bet Dave.

Its nice to be reminded that there actually was a time when Shelbys were flogged with a can of High Life on the dash instead of having their glovebox doors autographed and changing hands for six figures.
    can a motherfucker get a AMEN.????

flaco
    La Onda don't shine shoes.

♠ LBCC Nor Cal ♠

User Info Menu

Today I got to drive the Shelby for the first time in 34 1/2 years. Pictures coming.

And she sits LOW.
    4334.gif Stoked for you Dave! My car was down for 3 months and the first drive after ruled. I can't even imagine after 34 years how awesome that must have felt!
    Just call me Taboo. Collar popped, fuck off........

64 caddy 6 window sedan deville

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Re: Dave's Shelby Lowrider ~ ~ ~ Update May 30, 2010

Well, with a little help here and there .... I had to go out and buy a new timing light as my other two had crapped out so this morning I installed and wleded up a temporary "X" pipe exhaust using a 3" pipe kit and a pair of Moroso 16" spiral high flow mufflers from Summit Racing with straight runs that exit just ahead of the rear wheels. Did this to get some back pressure (running Hooker Super Comp Stainless headers with 3" collectors) and wanted to get the engine timing set to where we had it on the dyno.

This is a video this morning of getting the timing set but we need to work a little more on the idle and all I can say is we are using an MSD billet distributor and a 6AL box. Seems to run lean as hell with this ignition I will be testing fuel line pressure and flow but I get no starvation whatsoever. Headers were cherry red and timing was retarded big time --- we burned #7 and #6 wires at the headers - I use to run Hookers as a kid on other 67 Mustangs back in the early 70's.... quite frankly these headers are a real bitch and I am not at all satisfied with them to be frank. Will need to work on this more and replace wires and use boots to protect them from these nasty headers. I am going to make an appt to have a complete exhaust system fabricated with the original Shelby chrome tips at the ass end in a week or so. Still tweaking --- here's a video during the timing session 028.gif

Like I said earlier 34 1/2 years. A long time to wait I know but the day has come!

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

So I take the car for a spin in my neighborhood and it's just like going back to November 1975. Weird but you never forget the feel, the excitement, the confidence you always had anyway, and the only thing I forgot to do was to put a can of beer on the dash! For the first drive it was like going back in time for me. I was amazed at how this motor just wakes up at 2,700 RPM... I'm sure its the MSD ignition and the timing advance coming in... the motor just comes alive all the way to 6,700 RPM smooth as hell. Kept it at 4,500 in 2nd gear up the hill from me in the high rent district just to wake up the BMW / Porsche crowd let 'em know I was around.

Cutting the coils 1/2 turn, tweaking the suspension and the Koni's and the use of the CalTracs bars with Global West rear leafs and a 1" lowering block gets me down at least 2" more than my ride height in 1973-1975 when this car was my daily. And everyone that knew me back then said I always had my Mustangs as low as I could get them without dragging my headers and power steering lines. Anyway, here is how she sits today after her first blast in the 'hood.

Some projects take time as all you guys know... but my wife and I did get all four of our kids through college first!

Still have to put the horn button in the steering wheel --- It's wrapped in that white cloth next to the shifter.

It's been a long journey... no trailer queen... gonna mash the pedal in the daze ahead!

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney

And she sits LOW.
    4334.gif Stoked for you Dave! My car was down for 3 months and the first drive after ruled. I can't even imagine after 34 years how awesome that must have felt!
    Thanks Stoney - I only wish I was in California today... would've brought you a beer and would've taken you with me for the first blast!

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flaco
    You bet Dave.

can a motherfucker get a AMEN.????

flaco
    Flaco - AMEN I say to you AMEN. And after 34 1/2 years A Fucking MEN.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

BIG congrats Dave! That's a beautiful car, and a herculean effort on your part... I'm glad this has come full circle for you man!
    I think we can do better than that...

Dude, I love puppies, dude!

User Info Menu

13702.gif WOW!!!
    i bet that thing runs like a raped ape!!!
    man o man, fastback mustangs, the only mustangs that are worth a damn and your looks tough as hell!!!
    excellent job Dave!!

♠ LBCC Western Canada ♠

User Info Menu

i grew up in a ford muscle car family, so all i can say is wow. awesome job. my favorite year and color for shelbys.

♠ LBCC High Priest ♠

User Info Menu

So badass Dave.

My GTO was apart for a dozen years so I can appreciate the feeling of being able to drive a car again after a long time. I only imagine its that much more intense after 34 years.

Much respect to you for doing that car up like that.
    So many of those cars are treated like museum pieces. The fact that you restored a Shelby to have balls and swing them regularly, makes you a kind of hero.

♠ LBCC Resident Therapist ♠

User Info Menu

Respect.

And I have to say, I'm kind of honored to be here to share in this culmination of 34 1/2 years of waiting... so thanks for sharing!!
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life." -Winston Churchill

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

So badass Dave.

My GTO was apart for a dozen years so I can appreciate the feeling of being able to drive a car again after a long time. I only imagine its that much more intense after 34 years.

Much respect to you for doing that car up like that.
    So many of those cars are treated like museum pieces. The fact that you restored a Shelby to have balls and swing them regularly, makes you a kind of hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlammedNFlaked
    Respect.

And I have to say, I'm kind of honored to be here to share in this culmination of 34 1/2 years of waiting... so thanks for sharing!!
    x2.
    "Your car is so low, Bill Hines has to duck to get in." - Trent Sherrill

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Thank you for the kind comments guys. I posted the update here on LB first and foremost simply because of the mutual respect and interest we all have no matter what we're drivin', pushin', or dreamin' about.

I put a couple of pics on the site that one would expect of a Shelby owner but sometimes these owners (as many often fall into this "trap") get too hung up in themselves (anal even!) or they are just (in my opinion) so "monied" that they make their rides musuem pieces that are so politically correct that, to be honest, makes guys like me find it hard to breathe. Best not to get caught up in all the hype. Far better it is (in my opinion anyway) to remain determined to do your wheels as you feel you want to, ok to gain input from those you appreciate etc... but in the final analysis... just do what you want to do and to hell with all the crap.

I don't think I will get this car any lower given that I also plan to drag the car and just do all that I did years ago.

Why change? 104.gif

This site in particular to my other projects (still in process) continues to drive my ambitions in retaining the LB style if you know what I mean. So soon I can focus on my wife's '63 T-bird and my '62 Catalina now that this one is done.
    Looking forward to geting them done now in a big way!

Thanks again for all of your encouragement homies.