User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dave's Shelby Lowrider ~ ~ ~ April 27, 2012

♠ B.C. Chapter President ♠

User Info Menu

Re: Dave's Shelby Lowrider

Quote Originally Posted by eric
    The ONLY Mustangs worth a damned!!! i hate Mustangs but you put a fastback infront of me and i go bananas!!!

Agreed. The 67 Mustang Fastback is sort of my guilty pleasure. Just something about them.

Great work Dave, it's beautiful!
    "If your going to build a time machine into a car, why not do it with style?" - Dr. Emmit Brown

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro
    Quote Originally Posted by Nappy
    What's the story on buying it? What condition was it in? Get it from a used car dealer, or privately? Life-long dream car or bought on a whim?
    I'm keen to know as well?
    I like fastbacks, that’s how I meet the love of my live. Loren use to pass my house ever day in a 69 mach1 (jade black) sex on wheels 029.gif it was her daily.
    Dave it has to be low like real low, otherwise you’ll look like a mustang driver, there a different animal when there on the ground
    Well to answer that.. I'll keep it simple.

This is an original nightmist blue metallic Shelby with a black interior. Original owner is a guy in my town who bought it at a local Ford dealer within about 7-8 weeks after it was built in L.A. - mid June '67. He jacked the car up with heavier front springs, took all 4 Koni's off and lost or sold them and proceeded to install shackles for the rear leafs and air shocks to the rear. Then he goes and puts lights at the tops of all 4 wheel wells and puts huge tires on the original 5 spoke Kelsey Hayes wheels. I loved that car when he bought it. I hated to see what he did to it.

He sold the car in '70 to a high school buddy but he never drove it much because he went to Viet Nam with the Navy as a Seabee. When he got out at the end of '72 he stayed in San Francisco and worked as a commercial diver and needed money so he called me and I bought the car in March of '73 ... it always stayed at his parents house in Connecticut. It had 48,000 miles on it.

I then called the original owner and asked him what parts he had. I got the original front springs and I installed them the week I got the car. I bought 4 new Konis and using the shackle kit that was on the car I lowered it as far as I could and torched off the long end of the shackles just above the rear pan so you can't see them. The car handled like it was supposed to and I put 27,000 more miles on it and parked it in November '75. (I had graduated from college in '74 left my mechanic and fabricating job and focused on an investment career and got married in '76-- I still had a '67 black Mustang GT fastback with gold stripes; S code 390 4-speed with a Crane hydraulic, hooker headers, 4.11 rear with Cal Tracs which I drag raced and ran on the street for money back then).

So the Shelby sat in primer until Summer of 2005 and it has taken me this long to put it together. (I did build a house in '82, my garage attached to it in '89; and with the support of my bride of 32+ years -- we raised 4 kids all now very successful - my baby and only daughter is a college senior so now I'm getting selfish!).

Here are a few pics including the motor I'm putting in it as soon as it is back from the dyno... I will rebuild the original 289 to factory specs including a rebuild of the original Holley LeMans style dual feed. It will be a spare and of course I'm keeping it because it is the original motor. But for now I'm putting in the 70 Boss 302 block .030 over, stroked with Windsor style RHS cast iron heads, Hooker Super Comp headers, Centerforce II clutch, BoLaws Holley style competition carb, and go have fun. I've waited 34 years. I don't care what they tell me it's worth. It's just a Mustang really. I laugh about the people who say woulda, coulda, and shoulda... I sacrificed, held on, and now I'm doin'.

Oh - fabricated this dolly for it too...

Began work on body June 2005:

Original 289 HP solid lifter motor:

'70 Boss .030 over stroker coming back soon from dyno:

It won't be too much longer now! 028.gif

Thanks to all for the kind words. And that's the story... 36 years now... A car becomes the man. And that's not an easy thing sometimes to deal with as many of you clearly know....

But I promise you this.... this car will sit LOW.

With much respect to my LB homies especially... I would equally be happy to get my wife's T-Bird done! Then I can play with the Catalina! Shit I'm bad. Shame on me...
    The only thing on my mind is how good she's running. Labels are for those in need of recognition. - Diém

Sidewalk Spectator

User Info Menu

I take my hat of to you Dave, cant wait to see it on the road
    should put an under bonnet side slinger pro charger and give your son a run for his money 029.gif
    Low and slow sixties style down under

AKA: Industrial Rides

♠ LBCC Nor Cal ♠

User Info Menu

Again I say it, Dave, will you adopt me as your bastard son?!?! Awesome story on the car! Not joking, I wish you lived closer, cause you sir are legit! Hope to meet you, and any of your stable of rides one day! :D
    Just call me Taboo. Collar popped, fuck off........

64 caddy 6 window sedan deville

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

Low or not, thats a bad ass ride.

I'm attached to my Galaxie that ive owned for 4 years, i cant imagine how you feel about that car . .. . . . . . .

Very cool man
    PANEL BEATERS C.C - WE GOT GREASE UNDER OUR NAILS, NOT IN OUR HAIR

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

my first thoughts when reading the title of this thread were along the lines of:
    "oh shit! a shelby lowrider? that'd piss off the muscle car guys!"
    maybe even the lowrider guys too ;-)

lowrider or not that is a beautiful car, sexy curves all round and has a bit of beef under the bonnet as well!
    pretty sure any automotive enthusiast could appreciate that!

Well done with the car mate!
    Its gorgeous!
    - 1961 EK Holden

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stoney_138
    Again I say it, Dave, will you adopt me as your bastard son?!?! Awesome story on the car! Not joking, I wish you lived closer, cause you sir are legit! Hope to meet you, and any of your stable of rides one day! :D
    x2.

"Your car is so low, Bill Hines has to duck to get in." - Trent Sherrill

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Humble thanks to you all.... and I mean that with the deepest respect. Stoney & Eryk -- I hope to get to California in the future... maybe first time out I'll just fly out and rent something like Harry's recent weekend Roush rocket... we can then all go to Pomona Dragstrip and play with it before I have to fly back home! 104.gif
    The only thing on my mind is how good she's running. Labels are for those in need of recognition. - Diém

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

That is seriously a beautiful Mustang. To ignore a car as nice as that and with a history like that would be a sin. Great job hanging on to it all this time and then turning it into what you have built. Bad ass.
    MAKE LBCC MESSAGE BOARD RELEVANT AGAIN!

♠ LBCC Nor Cal ♠

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    maybe first time out I'll just fly out and rent something like Harry's recent weekend Roush rocket...
    ^^^^ badgrin.gif

She's never been called THAT before..!! (to my knowledge anyway).... ;-) eusa_silenced.gif
    ♠ 1965 Buick Riviera ♠
    ♠ 1952 Chevy Truck ♠
    ♠ 1938 Ford Deluxe Coupe ♠

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...uirrelrivi.jpg

♠ LBCC East ♠

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snacklord
    Harry's recent weekend Roush rocket...
    ^^^^ badgrin.gif

She's never been called THAT before..!! (to my knowledge anyway).... ;-) eusa_silenced.gif
    Haha.
    Wait, you can RENT that?
    Awesome.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snacklord
    maybe first time out I'll just fly out and rent something like Harry's recent weekend Roush rocket...
    ^^^^ badgrin.gif

L M A O !!

La Onda don't shine shoes.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Another Saturday... August 1st already... shit.

Just a couple pics of the original 289HP... gonna send it out to local machine shop for rebuild. Will use all factory stock stuff since it is the original motor for the car. This motor has the Holley dual feed with the LeMans bowls and is a solid lifter 310HP as Shelby modified them at his LAX facility. So it'll remain "box stock" which is pretty damn good anyway.

Gotta chrome dagger handle for my dipstick.... Some old nostalgia CalCustom accessory... (maybe I'll will it to Accessoryfreak!!! - you got one?)

On August 12 (if I don't run out of money in this damn economy!) I pick up from the dyno the motor I'm putting in the Shelby... It's a '70 Boss 302 with a stroker crank and custom rods and pistons etc.

Said before I drive all my shit. Every day gets closer......

♠ LBCC High Priest ♠

User Info Menu

Every day gets closer......
    I know the feeling. Very cool that you're making progress.

That car is incredible. If I ever find myself on the east coast I'm gonna show up at your doorstep looking for a ride.

So why are you rebuilding the original 289 right now if you're putting in the devil's 302?
    Isn't it bad to have a fresh motor sitting around for a long time?
    Tradition didn't end in 1964

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

My son Justin (pics here on another thread of his turbo '92 GTI) friend's Dad owns a state-of-the art engine building facility in Torrington, CT that does NASCAR engines for a few northeast teams... they have known us for years and I have a standing offer from them to do the motor for me. They've done many Fords for drag racing buddies of mine over the years and they dyno all their stuff. (They did not do the Boss motor.)

I will likely keep the original motor on a stand and run it. My children will probably inherit the Shelby since I plan on never selling it.... so it will be up to them God willing 30 years from now when I will most likely be DUST. 028.gif

And....You have a home away from home anytime you visit the east coast dude.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Here's an update as of end of October:

Got the motor stabbed in place. Installed Centerforce Dual Friction clutch assembly, next come Hooker Super Comp stainless headers, mini torque starter, and on and on....

Having cut 1/2 coil off the front will make the car sit perfect. CalTracs in the back with Koni's all around do the trick and hold it low.

Pretty much have everything now to "get 'er done". Only need time!

But I am spending equal amounts on all the other projects too! 029.gif

This is front height without motor or trans in the car.

This is how it sits with just the motor... no trans, no 200 lbs or so of radiator and all accessories.

That's it for now......................

Dave

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Very cool Dave. But after following this thread since its beginning, I have yet to see any glimpse as to how this car will be a lowrider. Were you just trying to lure us in with the a misleading title? ;-)

♠ LBCC East ♠

User Info Menu

Panel paint!!! :D

The engine and the stance look good, Dave. Won't be long now!

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Re: Dave's Shelby Lowrider (or more like... Low Rider !)

You raise an excellent and important question Eryk.

I am certainly a devious sort indeed. 029.gif The car does not have a hydraulic suspension to speak of. I don't think I'm going to put traditional lowrider wheels on her either. I guess all I can say is that it is a restored American stock car with a modified suspension. and I've gone a little bit further by modifying the engine too.

As far as the title for this thread? Misleading? Absolutely!

At best it is a low rider. Guess that clarifies... eusa_angel.gif

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Haha. Good explanation. I was just busting balls. Project looks great!

But it's not too late to change your direction and own up to your thread title. It's been done to a mustang or two in the past. Although it takes vision and balls, the size of which aren't seen very often these days. :D