User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The History and Evolution of the white wall tire.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

By the way, not sure if this is the appropriate thread to ask this (in which case, apologies Matt....dont mean to de-rail).
    What's the deal with load ratings? I've been looking at some 5.60 size tires but they have really low load ratings, like 900 something lbs. I see guys running 5.20s on full size cars...... are the load ratings just a legal ass-saver for the manufacturer or are guys just saying "fuck it", they look bad ass.....?
    "The world can be a crappy and negative place sometimes, so it goes a long way when something as simple and irrelevant as a car can bring a huge smile to someone's face." - Rasputin

http://wheelsareeverything.com/

Carlow
    No worries Mark, I want to encourage everyone to help this thread to evolve and continue to gather as much info about white walls/ tires as possible.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    The US Royals are in the process of being reproduced no? Thought I saw that recently on the ****
    Here it is.....I sure hope this pans out.......

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=563905

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markk13 View Post
    I was kinda wondering about these styled tires as well. So Harry, you were saying possibly pre-67 but possibly later from other unknown companies? Hurst Racing Tires has some re-pops (recaps) that are similar, selling them as front runners..... (I was thinking about how they might look on my Chrysler). Looks like they may provide a smaller tire too, but not a big fan of that little yellow company stamp on them.
    Pm Todd, Touchdowntodd, he had a set on his A. Not sure if just the fronts, but i bet he can help you.
    The doubles are rad btw, and i bet if youre careful you can erase the yellow stapm too.
    Sent from my ouiji board with black magic powers

- I Bomb Mes3 -

♠ LBCC High Priest ♠

User Info Menu

I was kinda wondering about these styled tires as well. So Harry, you were saying possibly pre-67 but possibly later from other unknown companies? Hurst Racing Tires has some re-pops (recaps) that are similar, selling them as front runners..... (I was thinking about how they might look on my Chrysler). Looks like they may provide a smaller tire too, but not a big fan of that little yellow company stamp on them.
    The tread pattern and crust or "pleats" as Eryk called them look late '50s to me. Fits well with Bob's comment about '57 Chevys too. But I think a tire like that could have been available into the early '60s as well. Definitely a pre-67 profile and tread pattern though.

Putting the Hurst super cushions on your Chrysler is a stroke of brilliance. Since they're recaps you could possibly even ask them not to apply the yellow hurst label when you order them. Sucks that it would be a very expensive set of tires.
    Tradition didn't end in 1964

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Mark I've been thinking about doing a triple white Super Cushion from Hurst. Three things have stopped me. Price is definitely one of them. It would be about 1100 for a set. Another issue is the size. Since they use radials and cap them, only 2 sizes are available and both of them are alot shorter than what I have now. I had a set of 165R15 on my car and I hated the look. But those 195/75/15 that they offer would probably look fantastic on your car. Another thing is my own fear of capped tires. I know they say its applied and cured the same way new tires are made. And I know people do crazy burnouts on capped hurst slicks. But I dunno. I've put thousands of miles on my BFG piecrusts. Alot of them long constant drives. I've thankd my lucky stars that these tires are made well and have never let me down during 4 hour long drives on hot roads in summer. I'd probably always be worried driving a capped tire. Probably my own hangup though.

One tire that I'm really really considering pulling the trigger on is the Goodyear Super Cushion 1" whitewall. Its a bias ply. But its made from the original mold. An exact repop with the cool diamonds on the sidewall and little Super Cushion logo. Plus they make it in my size, 6.70-15. Available from a few of the online vintage tire dealers. But not from Coker.

After doing a little digging, this is definitely the tire that fits the later end of the era I'm going for. Here's some tidbits about the goodyear super cushion.

"Chrysler 300 • ’57 Chevy • Buick Roadmaster • Ford Thunderbird • ’61-’64 Corvette. Power was at a premium in this era.
    The Goodyear Custom Super Cushion was up to the task. In fact, it reigned as the industry’s preferred original equipment
    tire throughout its illustrious product lifetime 1957 to 1964."
    "Your car is so low, Bill Hines has to duck to get in." - Trent Sherrill

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dirtybirdpunk View Post
    Here it is.....I sure hope this pans out.......

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=563905
    This would be a game changer if it happens. I've been wondering how close they are. Someone mentioned 2 years from the time they get the molds. I know the 5.20/5.60 repop ordeal has been draggin on for quite a while. Its approaching 2 years and still no tires. I hope these dont run into hiccups and we see them sooner than later. Man, that would be a dream to run these on my Olds.
    "Your car is so low, Bill Hines has to duck to get in." - Trent Sherrill

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eryk View Post
    This would be a game changer if it happens. I've been wondering how close they are. Someone mentioned 2 years from the time they get the molds. I know the 5.20/5.60 repop ordeal has been draggin on for quite a while. Its approaching 2 years and still no tires. I hope these dont run into hiccups and we see them sooner than later. Man, that would be a dream to run these on my Olds.
    It would be great to see these again, but Im with you, after the whole 5.20 deal fell apart, Im a bit hesitant to get my hopes up again.....

♠ LBCC So Cal ♠

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Yep. Firestone Grand Sports and Goodyear Blue Streaks have always been the dream tires for my GTO.

Unfortunately they were/are full race tires and were never street legal or even close to practical for a street car. Either way, they're rare as hens teeth and if they ever come up for sale, they cost as much as entire cars since the market for them is high-end vintage race cars.

In any case, some of the sexiest tires ever produced.
    Mmmmmmm...Goodyear Blue Streaks. Visions of Jungle Jim lighting em up dancing thru my head !!

Carlow
    ^Mmmmmmm... Visions of Jungle Pam dancing thru my head !!
    Attached Images Attached Images

♠ LBCC So Cal ♠

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 73 carlow View Post

♠ LBCC High Priest ♠

User Info Menu

Word.

I've always been a fan of how her sidewalls meet her tread.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

No worries Mark, I want to encourage everyone to help this thread to evolve and continue to gather as much info about white walls/ tires as possible.
    Cool man, I'm so glad you started this one!
    "The world can be a crappy and negative place sometimes, so it goes a long way when something as simple and irrelevant as a car can bring a huge smile to someone's face." - Rasputin

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

@ Eryk & Harry...... yeah, the price of those definitely has me draggin' my feet. I just love the double whites though.... and the beautiful bias ply shape. Thanks for the input guys!

@ Bonez..... Thanks for the input as well..... and besides trying to erase the little yellow stamp, I didn't think of what Harry said about requesting them deleted!
    Last edited by markk13; 03-22-2011 at 08:46 AM.

♠ LBCC High Priest ♠

User Info Menu

♠ LBCC High Desert ♠

User Info Menu

Holiest of Holies! That's killer!^^^

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

^^^ Yeah, that is good lookin'.^^^

Details?

Carlow
    Amazing combination Harry...

Rivullac
    I decided to go ahead and mount my Diamondback double pinners on the Rivi...I like it and it rides a LOT better...even though they are a bit bigger.[IMG][/IMG]

♠ LBCC High Priest ♠

User Info Menu

^^^ Yeah, that is good lookin'.^^^

Details?
    15x7 Supremes on Amoco brand F70-15 bias plys.

An attempt at a 1967-looking setup that follows the concept of a custom wheel on a stockish size tire.

^^^ Very influenced by this sort of look, I especially dig the way the stripe is in the center of the tire unlike the way its usually closer to the rim.