User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The History and Evolution of the white wall tire.

Carlow
    Hell yes this is what I was looking for! Keep it coming, advertisements, info data, pictures anything.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

x2 on the Royal Masters!!

The first time I saw them was on the cover of Rod and Custom. My grandpa's neighbor(like family) gave us a few magazines from the 60's that he had in his garage. On the cover was Bill Cushenberry's 40 Ford. This car fucked me up when I was a kid.

El Matador.

"Your car is so low, Bill Hines has to duck to get in." - Trent Sherrill

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Thank you about this thread carlow, and thanks to those that contribute to it, there is so much to discover!

Dude, I love puppies, dude!

User Info Menu

The US Royals are in the process of being reproduced no? Thought I saw that recently on the ****

Carlow
    I found these Howard Gribble photographs on Rik Hoving. If you can tell me what year any or all of the photographs are from and/or what size and make of the any of the tires are that would be awesome. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Howard said most of those were taken from 68 to about 72. There are a few from around 75 in his collection. But I think all the ones you posted are 72 and prior. Size I don't know because I'm on my phone right now and can't see the details. Will respond again later.
    "Your car is so low, Bill Hines has to duck to get in." - Trent Sherrill

Dude, I love puppies, dude!

User Info Menu

i'll tell you one thing. 60's tires were no joke. for as low as some of those cars are/were they were riding on some big ass tires. my caddy has 9.00x15 double whites. the crazy pontiac from the tridents show all original and built in '68 was running H78 15's

my tires, and a comparison next to a 205/75x15

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

Man i dig those....love the dual stripes.

♠ LBCC East ♠

User Info Menu

Yep, those dual stripes are killer, Eric.
    I've always liked these tires as far as 'show car' tires. Firestones with a gold line. The Dream Rod had them on it when it was the Tiger Shark, that's probably the most famous application that I can think of, although I couldn't find a color pic.

♠ LBCC High Priest ♠

User Info Menu

Yep. Firestone Grand Sports and Goodyear Blue Streaks have always been the dream tires for my GTO.

Unfortunately they were/are full race tires and were never street legal or even close to practical for a street car. Either way, they're rare as hens teeth and if they ever come up for sale, they cost as much as entire cars since the market for them is high-end vintage race cars.

In any case, some of the sexiest tires ever produced.
    Tradition didn't end in 1964

Carlow
    Eric,
    Thanks for posting up both tires side by side! Good observation on exactly how huge those tires are.

♠ LBCC High Priest ♠

User Info Menu

Matt, since I know what you're working on, I would recommend a tire that's pretty close to a stock size for an A-body, like an F-70-14.

http://store.cokertire.com/f70-14-fi...te-stripe.html
    Tradition didn't end in 1964

Carlow
    Thanks Harry, that the one of two that I keep coming back to. Knowing that its close to a stock A-body size

♠ LBCC High Desert ♠

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Matt, since I know what you're working on, I would recommend a tire that's pretty close to a stock size for an A-body, like an F-70-14.

http://store.cokertire.com/f70-14-fi...te-stripe.html

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

The tires I picked up today has this neat ribbed sidewall pattern on them.

0318011605.jpg0318011606.jpg
    Lord, I question whether I've had my fill. Lord, I question whether I can take much more.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

I've been a white wall freak since the 1960's growing up in So. Cal.
    People call me a Kustom Snob because I think almost every car or truck looks better with white wall tires!
    Getting old ain't for sissies.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

This thread rocks. I can't wait to see where it goes. There was a time when my car was grey primer with black steels and I REALLY wanted to run redlines. It all goes back to wheel, tire, and stance. Live by it. You guys do.

Eric, i've tripped on huge the tires on crazy low cars from the 50's and 60's for a while. Sometimes I stare at a picture trying to figure out how they got so low on baloons.

Rivullac
    Ive got a set of diamond back double pinners I`m thinking of unloading....never used and still wrapped up.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eryk View Post
    x2 on the Royal Masters!!

The first time I saw them was on the cover of Rod and Custom. My grandpa's neighbor(like family) gave us a few magazines from the 60's that he had in his garage. On the cover was Bill Cushenberry's 40 Ford. This car fucked me up when I was a kid.

El Matador.
    one of my all-time favorites. peep the drawer pulls.

flaco
    La Onda don't shine shoes.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eryk View Post
    Anyone know when the Goodyear Super Cushion was most popular? And when it died out? The one with the crust that are super spread out. I call them pleats. They also have little diamonds along the whitewall. I keep staring at them and I think I'm in love.

Like these.
    I was kinda wondering about these styled tires as well. So Harry, you were saying possibly pre-67 but possibly later from other unknown companies? Hurst Racing Tires has some re-pops (recaps) that are similar, selling them as front runners..... (I was thinking about how they might look on my Chrysler). Looks like they may provide a smaller tire too, but not a big fan of that little yellow company stamp on them.

"The world can be a crappy and negative place sometimes, so it goes a long way when something as simple and irrelevant as a car can bring a huge smile to someone's face." - Rasputin

http://wheelsareeverything.com/