User Tag List

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 1962 Coupe De Ville : Fancy paint update

♠ LBCC Chicagoland ♠

User Info Menu

Thanks for the comments guys. Much appreciated.

Slight update:
    Just received one of the center bars for the custom grill. Got a few calls out on some others. I'm going to attempt to build it myself, using tools I already own. Should be a fun little project. More to come.

♠ LBCC Chicagoland ♠

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    You have a very pretty car Brian. I'm sure once you get underneath that pretty blue paint you're gonna find some demons here and there.... but you're gonna move forward and fix those rusted out panels/sections and you'll be cruisin' in style now that all the mechanicals and suspension items are complete. She will be very smooth... love your plans.
    I'm scared of what's under the paint. very very scared. In hindsight, I should have bought a westcoast car.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberace View Post
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO,oooooooOOOOOOoooooooooo, Damn dude that is one bad Caddy! I have a 61 I'm In the process of makin bad! I also am runnin Stars! I'm also paintin mine just like your photo shopped pic! lol Cant wait ta see more! Need ta get ta work on mine! I can help ya out with some rust free AZ parts, Lotsa 61-62 Caddy shit out here! PS Sumit has new Star caps for $7 ea.
    I might have to take you up on some rust free parts. I've got a few things collected already, but who knows what lies below the painted surface.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Oooo-wee, I just love me some tasteful shit...

Good stuff Brian.
    I think we can do better than that...

♠ LBCC High Priest ♠

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ooo000ooo View Post
    I'm scared of what's under the paint. very very scared. In hindsight, I should have bought a westcoast car.
    Probably the best attitude to have going in. It won't be pretty under there but I don't think it'll be as bad as a midwestern car could be.

Either way, its better to expect the worst and hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    Tradition didn't end in 1964

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

beautiful
    Live fast die young too late

Carlow
    VEry cool to see your vision on the car. I have to say that I love the way its sitting right now though.. Looking forward to more updates!

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

the quad fins, the side dent, the way the trunk lid transitions into the rear fenders
    Same reason I am in love with that year but just couldn't find one in the time I bought my 65. Great start with the car it has a ton of potential. If you dont mind me askin how does that tank ride on those Shockwaves? I I know Ride Tech pushes those for the car but I always thought you would need a boatload of pressure to get that pig up.

♠ LBCC Chicagoland ♠

User Info Menu

yeah. better to be realistic about the rust. expect the worst and you'll rarely be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyp View Post
    Same reason I am in love with that year but just couldn't find one in the time I bought my 65. Great start with the car it has a ton of potential. If you dont mind me askin how does that tank ride on those Shockwaves? I I know Ride Tech pushes those for the car but I always thought you would need a boatload of pressure to get that pig up.
    The ride is decent. The ride before the conversion was pretty horrifying, so I don't have an accurate baseline of stock riding experience for gauging against stock. It definitely feels like 19 feet of American steel rolling down the road, it's not a real "Cadillac" ride feeling. I cruise at 115-120 psi in the front and 45-50 psi in the back - it gives me just enough clearance (4 inches if i had to guess) and has the best bound/rebound/float feel. Even at full inflation in front (140 psi) the car doesn't sit very high, shit is just too heavy. With 2 five gallon tanks (shared) pressurized to 150 psi I can raise the car up pretty much to full "locked up" height before the two compressors kick on.

It's running the kit you speak of. My only issue with it is the rear doesn't sit as quite low as the front. like maybe a .5 inch difference. most folks don't notice it (or on't mention it) but it bugs the fuck out of me. Down the road, I'd consider switching the rear bags to get the .5 inch out.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Wow that is amazing, I really thought you would need a whole lot more than that to lift. That is pretty normal as far as pressure is concerned. I assure you that your bags are not the issue in the rear more than the brackets are for those kits. Since everythign is bolt on for it which make your job a whole lot easier but the car a little higher than it could be. I am sure they set it up that was to make sure you didn't have to tunnel for the drive line and have an issue with it hitting. A little time and some modification to your existing brackets should fix your issue in the rear. Thanks for sharing.

♠ LBCC High Priest ♠

User Info Menu

^^ I agree, you could probably get the back down a little lower with a little trimming.

After having the privilege of driving behind this car, I admit that I am envious of the ride height.
    This car rolls low and parks lower. Pretty badass considering that it rides on gigantic tires.
    Tradition didn't end in 1964

♠ LBCC Chicagoland ♠

User Info Menu

Brian's Coupe De Ville (01.19.11)

Slight update.

finally located 4 more center grill bars for the grill treatment, should be here next week. looking forward to breaking down the front end for this. and figuring out how to go about constructing it all without the aid of a welder.

propane heater just arrived, so the garage should be much warmer this weekend, that is if i don't burn it down. should warm things up to a nice 50 in there. might finally get into designing the trunk as a result. at the very least cutting cardboard template panels. I've got some plans for a factory custom trunk treatment. should be fun.

AND, we've got another body shop doing an estimate on the rust and shaving work. I have high hopes that this group will be within my budget but also execute at a high level. he uses lead, and currently is restoring a bunch of muscle cars (a good sign in the midwest).

more to come this weekend.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Thats great stuff Brian!!!
    "Your car is so low, Bill Hines has to duck to get in." - Trent Sherrill

Dude, I love puppies, dude!

User Info Menu

kick ass Brian, nice to see what you've done and where your caddy is going

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

very nice

♠ LBCC Chicagoland ♠

User Info Menu

Brian's Coupe De Ville : July 4th UPDATE

I've never loved the '62 grill. It's the least appealing aspect of the cars over all design. A huge missed opportunity, GM phoned it in. In an effort to solve this GM oversight, I'd collected 5 additional center bars to build a custom grill that should look factory, but much cleaner/sleeker.

Six months later and I'm moving a few parts around on the back porch and realized I needed to get my ass in gear on the Caddy's grill.
    One of the reasons I'd put off doing the grill is my lack of knowledge on building such a thing. Only one way to learn I suppose.

Five '62 Cadillac grill center bars fresh from various junkyards in the southwest. Made a yard guy quite mad by requesting just the center bar and not the entire grill assembly. "I'm going to have to tear apart a perfectly good grill to get that bar out", said the dude. "Yep", said I.

Before & After : Some bars cleaned up nicely with a little Never Dull, others required a little mechanical polishing. This particular bar was one of the worst, used a polishing wheel (attached to my drill) and a little red rouge compound.

The stock grill in my Coupe was actually in presentable shape. Decent driver quality. These grills are notoriously difficult to restore, they are pinched and slotted together. Once you break it down in to individual pieces, you'll never get it back together correctly. Fuckers are impossible to clean as well. After years of attempted cleanings, it looks no better than the day I brought it home.

Took great care in removing the stock "crate", just in case I need to return to stock. It came out in a two large sections. Once it was out, I was happy to discover there are plenty of mounting opportunities for whatever grill I build. My goal was to build the new treatment as a unit that would slip in, rather than trying to build it on the car. Rasputin came by and gave me a hand. So nice to have a second set of eyes, hands and brains. Afternoon came to an early end when my wife and son came home from a long trip. It would be a week before I could get back on this.

After much eyeballing and head scratching it was determined that using the five junkyard bars + my original bar should fill the space nicely. Using some left over pre-drilled steel stock, two feet of threaded rod and a couple High Lifes; I mocked up the unit. It came together pretty quick. I was pretty fucking excited to test fit it in the morning.

Loose test fit. I was a little disheartened. Six bars are way to many. Not only does it look crowded, but I couldn't get my hand in there to pull the hood release. I kinda hate it.

Last night, after a healthy dose of spare ribs and kool-aid Ras and I headed out to the garage to make it right. Using threaded rod to build the grill allows for infinite and immediate adjustments, which makes life a lot easier. Because it's built as a unit that hangs on the car, adjustment can be made without unmounting it, so we were able to really dial it in quick. Moving a bar up or down only took a few nut turns and each side could be altered independently.

We tried a few variations. 6 bars, 5 bars, 4 bars - evenly spaced, two on top - two on the bottom, etc.

4 bars looked the cleanest. And so it shall be. Still needs some finishing: Blackout the supports, final tightening, final polishing, etc. Quite happy with the result. It looks like something GM "could" have done, while looking clearer than stock and still feeling custom.

The next project is to figure out a treatment for around the headlights. The factory "pans" that sit behind the lights don't look correct with the new grill. Harry and I tossed around a lot of ideas. Def going to run some expanded steel back there, and likely some custom metal work in between the lights. Open to suggestions.

A dremel, a drill, junkyard parts and a $13 trip to ace hardware - If I can do this, anyone can.

Sidewalk Spectator

User Info Menu

Man nice car can't wait to see more !!
    There's no life like a lowlife!!!!!

Carlow
    Great work Brian! I love stock looking modifications, especially when they don't break the bank.. Awesome vision on this project.

My thoughts have probably already been considered, but i will share anyway. With the expanded metal and the left over center bars, couldn't you cut a few of the center bars to fit in the headlight area and bolt it into the expanded metal?

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

Wow, that looks fucking amazing. Good job guys!

♠ LBCC High Desert ♠

User Info Menu

Far out, Brian! Looks killer

♠ LBCC Skinny Jeans ♠

User Info Menu

I don't do build threads, I just build.