User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: whats your story?

Carlow
    ^^^ awesome story.. thanks for sharing Mark.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

i started skating at 13 to keep myself away from gangs since i was heading in that direction. i was born and raised in South Central LA. right off the 110 fwy on Slauson. straight hood.

at 16 i went to a ska show to see Bad Manners in Hollywood. the show started at 2pm and ended at 7pm. on my way to the car i ran in to this traditional skin head girl who thought the show was just starting. she was sad when i told her it was over. so we got to talking and i got her phone #. she had a boyfriend. i told her if it doesn't work out with him give me a call. 1 yr went by and she called out of the blue. i told her let me call you back in 5 mins. i called my girlfriend and told her it's over. i called her back and we've been together ever since.

at 18 i went to trade school for auto body. at 19 we had a baby girl so i had to drop out of school to work. my wife and i came up with a plan. i'll go back to school full time and she'll work. i was close to finishing anyways. then when i was making good $$ i'll pay for her to go back to school. i went back and excelled in it. i also won $10K in Snap-On tools. that was given out to the top 2 students in the class.

i got a job in a production collision shop where i stayed at for 9yrs. i started out as a helper and worked my way to full tech with 2 helpers under me. but i was building customs at night in the garage and got plenty of side work from it. that i left my day job to build cars out of my garage for 5 yrs. times were tough at times. so i went to go get a "real job". i bounced around from a few custom shops till i found a sweet gig were am i at now.

inclosing...

i've been with my wife for 20yrs i have a 17yr old girl and a 1 yr old son.

i've been doing body work for the past 20 yrs. and i've built some cool stuff for some cool people.

i've done stuff that i'm extremely ashamed of and wished i could take them back. i've also done stuff that i should have been locked up for. but that's my past and i've changed my ways.

i stop skating at 25 but it's still in my blood and will always be. i still go skating from time to time. more for fun and exercise though

yes i was able to afford to send my wife back to school.

there is more but i figured i'd give you the highlights. to hear the rest we need to sit down and have few drinks.
    it's like a needle in my arm, when the record spins.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

some damn good stories on here ....but heres mine.

started college as an art major with big intentions of becoming a cartoonist, two years later i dropped out of school.
    i quit my parttime gas station job and started selling auto parts for a local family parts house. in the ten years iv'e been with them their business has grown and now i'm a.s.e. certified and handle the wholesale (no retail!) at their largest shop.
    i still draw form time to time.
    married three years with a 5 month old daughter, house, dog, cars and debt....the american dream!

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

I'm pretty hyped at how many people grew up skating on here. It's weird cause that shit totally shapes you as a human being and I've always found it weird that I generally click instantly with dudes who grew up skating. Well provided they're not kooks, lol. But that's also how the car world is. Everyone I've meet on here or threw the board I've gelled with pretty much instantly.

We're gonna have to start having LBCC MB Skate get togethers, haha. Those of you that don't skate time to start. Tony and Gooz are the first ones I wanna see rolling in on a 10 foot bowl, lol.

Again really cool to read about everyone.

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Il Gimmi View Post
    pretty hyped at how many people grew up skating on here. It's weird cause that shit totally shapes you as a human being and I've always found it weird that I generally click instantly with dudes who grew up skating. Well provided they're not kooks, lol. But that's also how the car world is. Everyone I've meet on here or threw the board I've gelled with pretty much instantly.

We're gonna have to start having LBCC MB Skate get togethers, haha. Those of you that don't skate time to start. Tony and Gooz are the first ones I wanna see rolling in on a 10 foot bowl, lol.

Excellent Idea! Though I can't hang with your skills, but I can boneless like a mofo!

Carlow

Fuck yeah as long as I can cruise my long board! Not sure about that 10' bowl though... I really got into bombing parking garages back in 03'-04'. I was 28yo, living in Huntington Beach and it had been at least 15 years since I had TRYED to skate as a kid. Took me a few weeks of fumbling around, but I eventually got the hang of it. By far one of the coolest things I learned as an adult.
    When Angela and I got together I taught her how to carve and she was hitting garages with me throughout Portland. Damn that was fun! We stopped riding due to injuries after we got hit head on by a drunk driver back in 06'. Now we just skate around when we are camping and so on, but i would love to get back to bombing garages!

♠ LBCC High Desert ♠

User Info Menu

The great stories keep rollin in. I love it!

Edog? You lived with Jeff Soto? Crazy. Soto has been one of my favorite (non-car) artists for a few years now. And I rmember hearing about your gallery! I never had the chance to make it out there Maybe someday when the world is ready you can have a triumphant re-opening

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

I'm pretty hyped at how many people grew up skating on here. It's weird cause that shit totally shapes you as a human being and I've always found it weird that I generally click instantly with dudes who grew up skating. Well provided they're not kooks, lol. But that's also how the car world is. Everyone I've meet on here or threw the board I've gelled with pretty much instantly.

I tried Skating for a while, but I didnt have the hand/eye/foot coordination to do much with it. My partents have a picture of us on Vacation at the Leaning Tower of Piza and I am riding one of those REALLY old plastic boards. That had to be around 79-80.
    "Whats wrong with me? You tell me and I will tell you if you are right or not!"
    http://www.kustomairsuspensions.com

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/albu...g/user/strtrdr

♠ LBCC Inland Empire ♠

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bob_o View Post
    The great stories keep rollin in. I love it!

Edog? You lived with Jeff Soto? Crazy. Soto has been one of my favorite (non-car) artists for a few years now. And I rmember hearing about your gallery! I never had the chance to make it out there Maybe someday when the world is ready you can have a triumphant re-opening
    I grew up with Jeff. ive known him since grade school, my roomate maxx242 was best friends with him (they were in a graff crew together way back when called Bashers) and he was always hanging at are house and painting. still have some of his old artwork. i even had him do a huge mural in my old house once. this is bringing back some crazy memories!!!!!!

Im also diggin how most all of us crew up on useless wooden toys and punk rock. without those two thing god only know what trouble i would have gotten into. I love the idea off a skate session. havnt seriously skate in about 15 years after a broken knee from a snowboard accedent.
    you said it was a good size! www.edogkustoms.blogspot.com

♠ LBCC Nor Cal ♠

User Info Menu

^^^i hadn't skated seriously for about 9yrs, and just recently built a fun box and kicker ramp for my neighbor kid. Pulled out the board and have been skating a lot recently! Gone to a park near my jobsite twice now and its quickly coming back. Like riding a bike I'm hella down for a session if/when we get together!!!
    Just call me Taboo. Collar popped, fuck off........

64 caddy 6 window sedan deville

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

ill watch
    what do you mean it cant be done? i have a sawzall, welder, grinder. it can be done,,,watch

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Really cool getting to peak into all your guys lives. Looks as though alot of you have overcome some real adversity in your lives.
    I dont post much here, mostly lurk, but I have met a few of you so I'll put in my little story too.
    Born in 71 in Lynnwood Calif. Spent my early years there till my parents started seeing the neighborhood get bad so they moved our family out to the suburbs of Ventura. My pops was always invovled with old cars. Ran with a couple different clubs in the 70's, Pickups Ltd., and Ye Ol Truckers. He was mostly into fords but always had something in the garage or on the driveway that was cool. Every weekend was a poker run or some kind of show. Pops always had a soft spot for customs and made it an annual event to go to the James Dean show(cant remember where it was). These cars blew me away and left a lasting impression on me from an early age. When I turned 16 I got my parents 72 Nova. Dad and I instantly lowered it (stink bug stance), shaved it and shot some primer on it. Drove that till he needed money and sold it out from underneath me. By this time I was heavily into surfing and skating, and music. These 3 things would be the guide and driving force in my life for many years to come. Even now at 39 if I am walking my daughter through the neigborhood and I see a vacant house I have to look over the fence to see if there is a pool back there. If there are waves then everything else is on hold. During all this tme I still went to car shows and cruises with pops when we heard about them. In 98 I finally made it up to a show I had been hearing about for a while. Paso. The fire was lit again.
    Met my wife Alma 9 years ago at a small neigborhood celebration for Dia De Guadalupe. She was in the Aztec dance group that performed that day. Weve been together since. We have a 2 yr. old girl and a 13 year old step son. For the last 15 years Ive been working at a boat dealership in Ventura doing gel coat/fiberglass work and mechanical work. The last 2 years have been tough and as of last week I've had to file for unemployment due to lack of work. Not all bad cause now I get to spend alot more time with my daughter, which is priceless. I guess thats a quick little summary of my story without all the details and all the years lost in a haze, but thats another story. Hopefully it didnt bore you to tears.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

I'm definitely a lurker. The oldest of two child. Born and raised in Georgia to a conservative family. It really stifled my personality. I really don't like to interact with people. I'm constantly afraid of judgement. "A" student all throughout school. I tried my hand, or foot at skateboarding when I was younger. Guess I wasn't very coordinated, so I stopped around age 12-13. I was in band in middle school and high school. I did the marching band thing. It was my life and it's really the only thing that made me happy. I guess I felt like I was a part of something. I really got to do some fun stuff. 1998 BOA Grand National Champions...that's best marching band in the whole country. I was in the Macy's (1999) and Rose Bowl (2001) parade. Various symphonic music stuff, on CD recordings, etc... I even helped earn a Grammy.

After high school, went to college. I spent 5 years there, where I came out of my shell a bit. I started getting tattooed in 2003. There I met my best friend/tattoo artist. He's the coolest guy I know and his family is always so nice. We don't get to hang out as often as I'd like, but I try to get out to see him once a month. I briefly worked as a counter person/shop bitch for 2 years with him, before being sabotaged by a jealous artist that was there. I still have to get the work she did on me covered up. I graduated with a teaching degree for Business Education in August of 2007. I teach fun things kids should know like: Accounting, Economics, Personal Finance, Business Administration, Desktop Publishing, Web Design, How to use a computer type things. Of course as we all know, the bottom dropped out of the teaching industry that year and I still haven't gotten a teaching job.

So currently I'm a night manager at a liquor store, and I'm a substitute teacher. They've cut sub pay way back this year, so much that it's almost not worth the gas money to do it. I'm 26, had to move back in with my parents after college and I pay rent/utilities, have student loans I pay, and the standard bills. I have two old cars: my daily a 1969 Camaro that was my mother's, and a 1957 Chevy truck that I'm fixing up. I'm single(been that way for about 3 years after thinking I found the "one"), all my friends are married or will be shortly. All their friends are the same. I'm still trying to get my adult life off the ground and find that piece of the pie/hopes and dreams I was promised in school. I also collect skateboard decks and have about 20 or so in my collection. I've been wanting to pick up skateboarding again but just haven't made that leap again.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by low springs View Post
    at 16 i went to a ska show to see Bad Manners in Hollywood. the show started at 2pm and ended at 7pm. on my way to the car i ran in to this traditional skin head girl who thought the show was just starting. she was sad when i told her it was over. so we got to talking and i got her phone #. she had a boyfriend. i told her if it doesn't work out with him give me a call. 1 yr went by and she called out of the blue. i told her let me call you back in 5 mins. i called my girlfriend and told her it's over. i called her back and we've been together ever since.
    That. I want to live your life from start to end. Skateboarding, skingirl as a wife, daughter, who's into cars, car's realted job. I want to live it.

♠ LBCC Arizona ♠

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by low springs View Post
    i started skating at 13 to keep myself away from gangs since i was heading in that direction. i was born and raised in South Central LA. right off the 110 fwy on Slauson. straight hood.

at 18 i went to trade school for auto body. at 19 we had a baby girl so i had to drop out of school to work. my wife and i came up with a plan. i'll go back to school full time and she'll work. i was close to finishing anyways. then when i was making good $$ i'll pay for her to go back to school. i went back and excelled in it. i also won $10K in Snap-On tools. that was given out to the top 2 students in the class.

i got a job in a production collision shop where i stayed at for 9yrs. i started out as a helper and worked my way to full tech with 2 helpers under me. but i was building customs at night in the garage and got plenty of side work from it. that i left my day job to build cars out of my garage for 5 yrs. times were tough at times. so i went to go get a "real job". i bounced around from a few custom shops till i found a sweet gig were am i at now.

inclosing...

i've been with my wife for 20yrs i have a 17yr old girl and a 1 yr old son.

i've been doing body work for the past 20 yrs. and i've built some cool stuff for some cool people.

i've done stuff that i'm extremely ashamed of and wished i could take them back. i've also done stuff that i should have been locked up for. but that's my past and i've changed my ways.

i stop skating at 25 but it's still in my blood and will always be. i still go skating from time to time. more for fun and exercise though

yes i was able to afford to send my wife back to school.

there is more but i figured i'd give you the highlights. to hear the rest we need to sit down and have few drinks.
    As long as theres no snatchers around I'd like to roll back out there and see some of the other shit long beach gots to offer and I'll take you up on the offer of the stories and drinks of course.
    I'm sorry, I don't care how fucking groovy and melodic metal music might get, you do not EVER dance to metal. PERIOD. You might bang your head, swing and sway with the groove, jump up and down and pit with the other long-hair's, but you don't FUCKING DANCE TO IT.
    Bob_o

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

This thread is blowing my mind. I feel like I know everyone now on such a deep level. Great to look past the avatars and user names and really get to know the person on the other side of the screen (and sometimes across the pond). Also cool to find out that there's a lot of skaters here, makes me feel right at home.

I'm bringing my deck with me at the next cruise night, I was never too good but I can pop-shovit like no other.
    The coyote of the desert likes to eat the heart of the young and the blood drips down to his children for breakfast, lunch and dinner and only the ribs will be broken.

♠ LBCC High Desert ♠

User Info Menu

I fall off of skateboards. Much to the amusement of the many skater friends I've had over the years. I've got alot of respect for the punishment you guys put yourselves through, and for the amazing things you can make happen with that deck beneath your feet.

I have been daydreamin about a sweet long board though...
    Last edited by bob_o; 10-18-2010 at 10:24 AM.

♠ LBCC Sweden ♠

User Info Menu

Born and raised in Stockholm, Sweden. Live with my girl Erica since 2004. Been into cars all my life got it from my dad, an addiction that donīt seem to go away. Other than that I have a huge music interest even though I donīt play any instruments. Have a master of science degree in industrial economics and now I work as an engineer/project manager at one of Swedenīs two Truck manufacturers, Scania. I think you guys only know about Volvo but this is how a Scania looks like:

1960 Oldsmobile Super 88
    1964 Oldsmobile 442 conv.
    1964 Ford Galaxie 500

♠ LBCC High Desert ♠

User Info Menu

Jon, now I know why your Olds is so clean.. You're an Engineer! Some of the most meticulous people I've ever known except maybe long-time machinists, haha.

♠ LBCC Sweden ♠

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bob_o View Post
    Jon, now I know why your Olds is so clean.. You're an Engineer! Some of the most meticulous people I've ever known except maybe long-time machinists, haha.
    Haha, thank you Bob =)
    1960 Oldsmobile Super 88
    1964 Oldsmobile 442 conv.
    1964 Ford Galaxie 500