User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: whats your story?

♠ LBCC Inland Empire ♠

User Info Menu

whats your story?

Been thinking about this as a topic for awile after Ventura. Brian and Harry thought I painted for a living but infact I own a plumbing company and am a plumber. Then seeing in Gimmi's intro that he was a pro skater at one time. and now finding out that bob_o has a killer job working for Burt Rutan building spacecrafts. My question is whats your story? what do you do, or have you done for a living? Im sure some of you have some cool and interesting jobs. Just curious. Hell even if you still live at home with mom and dad you have a story. We share car stories all the time on here, just want to know more about you guys on a personal level. Don't know if you feel this is a good topic or not but was just on my mind.
    you said it was a good size! www.edogkustoms.blogspot.com

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

So here's my story.... My name is Milos. Im 25. I grew up in a country (Yugoslavia) torn by a civil war. Immigrated to Canada in 1999. Currently I live in Red Deer, Alberta working as a mechanic for a local KIA dealership. I love a good rum and coke, and I dig old cars.....

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

Went to school for and graduated Diesel mechanics. Got a job as an electrician's helper and was injured on the job about a month after turning 21. Was paralyzed from the waist down for a while and have never got full feeling back in one leg. Experience left me gimpy and I am on disability. I was in a deep depression for a long time and am only now putting my life back together. I plan on going to back to college and learning something that doesn't require physical labor so I can get a job and get off disability. I'm seriously looking at trying for law school, but haven't decided yet. That's pretty much my story.
    Lord, I question whether I've had my fill. Lord, I question whether I can take much more.

In Heaven, TCB

User Info Menu

I was a punk rock junkie.
    Outside of society, they're waitin' for me.

http://faceoffumanchu.blogspot.com/

"Fuck that! I'm not scared. I'll go cruising by myself!"
    -eric

♠ LBCC Nor Cal ♠

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 66Newport View Post
    Went to school for and graduated Diesel mechanics. Got a job as an electrician's helper and was injured on the job about a month after turning 21. Was paralyzed from the waist down for a while and have never got full feeling back in one leg. Experience left me gimpy and I am on disability. I was in a deep depression for a long time and am only now putting my life back together. I plan on going to back to college and learning something that doesn't require physical labor so I can get a job and get off disability. I'm seriously looking at trying for law school, but haven't decided yet. That's pretty much my story.
    I'm a union electrician, as of 10 and a half years now, give or take. That's the gist of my background. But newport, not trying to get too personal, but as an 'electricians helper', not sure what that means, what happened to you to get that severe of injuries?
    Just call me Taboo. Collar popped, fuck off........

64 caddy 6 window sedan deville

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

skater for the last 2O years had a daughter in that time construction for ten also owned a suspension shop catering to the minitruckers, got sick of it went and got my barbers license and now in the process of opening my shop to build my empire happiest ive been
    Live fast die young too late

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by F-U Manchu! View Post
    I was a punk rock junkie.
    I dunno if youre bullshittin by i really was!
    but a junkie that also listens to punk rock is what i mean.
    Not a junkie for punk rock...wait maybe that too.

Im now a warehouse man at the....roll of drums....agency for enviromental protection! They got nothin to do w/ cars dont worry, they just do analisys for ground and water, used to do food and drugs too, but b4 i got in. Only reason i stick w/ this pos of a job is because it is a secure income. Its government regulated so they cant kick me out unless i really act like a jerk.
    I left home at about 16, and had many passions during the past 32 years, skateboards, music, 50s and 60s sci fi movies, hard tekno, k, and that other substance that fucks you up just to name some, but kustoms was a constant all the time, even thou i only actually work on cars just by a few years, even in my "worst outfit" i always bought my car mags and kept up to date, when i lived in London's sqats i had a 70 Mecedes van, one of those long ones w/ the flat front and the giant emblem, way kool! Unfortunateley a dickhead of a ex friend of mine lost it to some irish gypsys after a couple of years.
    Ive been in a few local punk rock bands too and stayed in London many years, doin DJing at illegal rave parties and doin many things im not sure can be mentioned here.
    Eventually i hope to live fixing oldcars in my backyard ...yeah right!

Edog dude! I thought you built cars for a livin too!
    Sent from my ouiji board with black magic powers

- I Bomb Mes3 -

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    I'm a union electrician, as of 10 and a half years now, give or take. That's the gist of my background. But newport, not trying to get too personal, but as an 'electricians helper', not sure what that means, what happened to you to get that severe of injuries?
    That was what I was officially called. I guess it would be closer to laborer while learning? I did the physical labor crap. What I did to get that fucked up? Picked up some scrap wire wrong. Bulged 3 disks in my back. I guess it wasn't really that that did it, just the straw that broke the camels back, so to speak.
    Lord, I question whether I've had my fill. Lord, I question whether I can take much more.

♠ LBCC Chicagoland ♠

User Info Menu

Last edited by Brian Morris; 04-22-2015 at 11:30 AM.

♠ LBCC High Priest ♠

User Info Menu

I've spent my entire existence in Chicago. Born into a very creative family, my dad is a painter and is now retired after teaching at the School of the Art Institute for over 50 years. My mom taught high school art classes until she got married and transitioned into the housewife thing. She is still a fabric artist, she weaves and makes stuffed animals.

Although nobody could really figure out why, but I've been obsessed with cars since I was born. At the age of two I could barely speak, but I could identify nearly every car parked on the street. Around the same age, during a day trip downtown with my sister, my mom let us each pick something out from the newsstand. My sister chose a comic book and I chose Hot Rod magazine.

During high school I hung out with the wierdos and skaters, and although I never stopped thinking about cars, they weren't the most important thing at that time. When I started college, the bug hit again and I bought my first old car. A '69 GTO. I got really into muscle car history and became involved somewhat in the local GTO scene after I had regretted selling my '69 and was looking to get an earlier model. I bought my '66 and quickly discovered that it was messed up in many ways, but not nearly as messed up as the other folks that were into muscle cars. Before I could say "oh shit", the car was almost completely disassembled and I was a college kid with no money or resources to put it back together the way I wanted to. I also decided at that time that I couldn't hang out with people I don't like even if we have a common interest in cars.

Time passed, and after studying mostly design, I finished school with a degree in photography. I ended up working in the instructional and commercial film and video industry and continued to be obsessed with automotive history; still mostly from a stock/resto/drag racy standpoint. I started buying old '60s Hot Rod and Car Craft magazines and couldn't understand why muscle cars weren't currently being built like the stuff I saw in the old magazines.

After I called bullshit on the video world I took a "temporary" job at a local publishing house in their photo archive, and because a good number of their titles are books about the history of the automobile, I've ended up working there for over a dozen years now. I spent about seven years of that time doing all the scanning, color correction, and retouching for the automotive books and about four years ago when one of the auto department art directors retired, I was asked if I wanted to replace him. That's what I've been doing ever since.

Working a job surrounded by full-on car nerds really expanded the way I think about cars. ALL cars. After I'd been working steady for a while I decided it was time to put my GTO back together after so long. One of my co-workers would make the trip to Paso Robles every year and while the car was in the body shop I decided to hitch a ride with him. Visiting that show changed me forever. I was always frustrated by the immense disconnect in the midwest between creative people and car people, but in California, cars and art were one in the same. At that point, the direction of the build of my GTO took a turn from pure stock drag racer to the beginnings of my obsession with the concept of a "period possible" custom. I haven't looked back since.

Day job is art director for this publication:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rasputin; 10-14-2010 at 05:04 PM.
    Tradition didn't end in 1964

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

Licensed barber. Grew up in Chicago. Love my family and friends. ( I can count my friends on one hand and consider them brothers). Been thru a ton of shit in my life. Gave up drinking because I enjoyed it too much and losing my family was not an option. I still feel I need a drink after a bad day, but resist the urge. I sometimes have a hard time dealing with shit, but somehow manage. My family life was never much and I spent most of the time outside doing my own thing. Yet, I miss my dad and think of him as a real man because no matter what, he provided. If he only know half the shit I did, he would have killed me. I regret so manty things. Did some bad shit eventually and paid the price.
    Been thru some other clubs till I decided that they were'nt suited for the way I wanted/needed to live. Eventually took my 3 guys with me and started our own thing (hence, Nobodys Hero). Things are better now and my wife mite yell, but she also backs me up and says things for my own good. As far as other family... none. All I have is my wife, little girls, and friends. I will never leave my daughters or not be there mentally.... it still hurts me that nobody thought that for me.
    Cars... I love all kinds
    59-65 American
    48-54 American
    70's Ford and Chevy Pick ups
    70's Camaros
    80's GM big body... 98's, Park Ave's, Parisians, Cutlasses
    81-93 S10
    Dad was a mechanic and he only worked on older cars so I naturally gravitate towards them.

Thats all
    Last edited by Blades; 10-14-2010 at 09:04 PM.

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

20 yrs. in construction industry 10 of those years in commercial HVAC . PMS ( POOR MEXICAN SYNDROME ) not by choice . Alcoholic by genetics homeless on the beach for 3 years by choice . Clean snd sober for 4.5 yrs. Going to school for Alcohol and substance abuse counseling .. I guess i,am in the right spot with all you drunks ..

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

Human meat thermometer.
    I would say that punk rock has non-terminal cancer. It's got a lot of fucked up growths on it, but it's not gonna die from it - Fat Mike ...

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Currently a Product Manager for U-Haul for the last 4-1/2 years. Foreman at a rod shop in L.A. for 3 years before that, and fabricator at Metalcrafters building concept cars and prepping cars for photo and film advertisements for about 2 years before that. Old cars have surrounded me my entire life, keeping me warm at night and generally making my life a living hell.
    I think we can do better than that...

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Currently unemployed as far as uncle sam is concerned. Spent over 10 years in the swimming pool industry as subcontractor doing rebar fabrication and installation. Started as a teenager and closed the doors last year. Happy to have moved on. Ready for phase 2. Have some college under my belt but never got my BA.

Met my wife when we were 12 years old. Started dating at 13. Got married at 20. Had our first baby girl on my 21st birthday. Bought our first house when we were 22. Had my second daughter a year later. My girls are 10 and 8 now. 10 year old plays guitar. 8 year old just started on drums. My wife is a highschool teacher. AP English, Avid, and an Instructional Coach. Just got her Masters this year.

I started writing graffiti when I was 12. Got heavy into piecing. Did walls, and some freights. Then got heavy into just bombing and throwups. Got busted. Thats that.

Got my first Gemini Turntable and radio shack mixer when I was 13. Got my first 1200s and a Numark a year or so later. My Cousin and friends were all writers, breakers, and dj's. Shit was just natural. I DJ'd solo and with friends all through highschool. Did a little of everything. Started out with breakbeats, did some freestyle, moved on to house. Eventually got into digital hardcore, DnB, Glitch. Stopped for a couple years when I moved away to college. But then took gigs doing darkwave, ebm, electroclash, and a little noise. Also got into recording. I have a lot of studio stuff. I still play every now and then, but nothing steady.
    "Your car is so low, Bill Hines has to duck to get in." - Trent Sherrill

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

Armenian born in Iran, moved to Germany when I was 6 months old and spent my first 11 years there. My entire family moved to SoCal in 1996 and have been posted at the same address ever since. Did the usual high school thing, graduated in 2003 and took a few art courses at a community college. As of right now I work at an alarm and video company - we install alarm and video systems for banks and credit unions, I mostly do programming on the alarm panels before being installed.

Started writing Graffiti in the 6th grade. Like Eryk, I used hit up just about any spot I could reach but after getting caught I decided to keep my shit on paper or legal walls. Ideally I'd like to get into something art related for my career but I have yet to get my ass back to school for a degree.

Been with my girlfriend since the 11th grade (8 years now) and we're working on getting married and moving out soon (yes, I do still live at home). She's stuck by me through all the bullshit and always has my back.

I've seen some gnarly shit in my 25 years on this earth and I can truly say that I have become a better person because of it. I tend to be the quiet one out of the group but I am always silently observing everything and everyone. I am all about respect, if a person respects me I will reciprocate x10.

I have to give a special props to all the people here who have overcome an addiction. I myself have never gone down this path but did have a very close cousin of mine who struggled with drug addiction for the better part of his life. He his now clean and sober for 3 years and I couldn't be prouder of him. You guys keep up the good work - I'm proud of you.
    Last edited by meser; 10-14-2010 at 10:52 AM.
    The coyote of the desert likes to eat the heart of the young and the blood drips down to his children for breakfast, lunch and dinner and only the ribs will be broken.

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

When i graduated from highschool as the teenage punkrock kid i got in artschool and became a graphic designer. I worked as a graphic designer for 1,5 years and due to the deadlines and stuff i got a burnout when i was like 23 years old. decided that i would never experience that again i quit my job and got in nursing school.

After my first year i broke my back in a skydiving accident wich completly changed my live. after a rehabilitation period i recoverd and started my school again and started doing the stuff i always wanted to do.. get the tattoos i dreamt about since i was a teen punkrock/skater kid. and bought my galaxie. and i also did an apprentice ship with the tattooer who did most of my tattoos. I had a great time.. but learned that to become a real tattoo artist you have a devotion of 200% and you have to make sacrefices. At that time in my live i could not do that.. i had bills to pay and i wanted to finish my nursing school. so with pain in my heart i descided to say my tattoo dream goodbye and focus on the stuff that allready were in my live and i could enjoy.

Im with my girl for 7 years now. Shes from former yougoslavia when the war started overthere she moved to holland. I learned allot from talking to her, her parents and visiting.We share many passion. and i love her to death.

I curently work as an RN in a forensic psychiatric hospital. i think you guys would call it Criminaly Insane. The work i do is the sociotheraputic part of it and i love it every single day. so while my work keeps me satifued and pays the bills. In my spare time im still the punkrock kid, draw allot (Western traditional tattoo stuf), doing little tattoos on friends for practice, fantasize about and work on my galaxie, and still skateboard once and a while ( i never was good even in my teens and suck even more now haha) but still love going fast and doing simple tricks.

In general try to enjoy my life to the fullest, treat other people how i would wanna be treated. big believer in KARMA. and meet new people living my live positive low and slow!
    Last edited by Harco; 10-14-2010 at 10:47 AM.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by meser View Post
    I have to give a special props to all the people here who have overcome an addiction. I myself have never gone down this path but did have a very close cousin of mine who struggled with drug addiction for the better part of his life. He his now clean and sober for 3 years and I couldn't be prouder of him. You guys keep up the good work - I'm proud of you.
    I also want to express the same admiration for overcoming addiction. It runs in my family. My biological dad struggled with it. My uncle, who I was so very close to, lost his battle with alcoholism in 2008. He struggled with it for years, hit bottom many times and just couldnt beat it. Put us through hell but we never stopped loving him. He died at 54 years old. Broke my heart.

Nick, you make me proud to know you.
    "Your car is so low, Bill Hines has to duck to get in." - Trent Sherrill

♠ LBCC High Priest ♠

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eryk View Post
    I also want to express the same admiration for overcoming addiction.
    Agreed.

We all have our demons. When they get the best of us it can be a very difficult thing to overcome. Huge props to those that are winning the battle.
    Tradition didn't end in 1964

♠ LBCC High Desert ♠

User Info Menu

I grew up on old cars (thanks Dad), and then in High School I got really into music and cars moved to the back burner for a few years. Started working at a Ford dealership right after graduation in 2002 with the intention of going to college after a year break. Fast Forward 8 years to 2007. Spent almost 6 years doing nothing but automotive and food service gigs. Did vocals in a couple of kick ass bands. But still had done nothing to sing of in my life. I was incredibly close to joining the Air Force when I landed the job at Scaled Composites. For a lil over 3 years I was a Composite Fabricator (if anyone needs some fiberglass or carbon fiber work or tutorials, hit me up ) and then a brand new position opened up. Me and 8 other dudes applied. I never thought I would get the gig, but I did. So now I'm in the Engineering Dept. Scaled's a great place in that you can start at the bottom and work your way up. One of our main engineers started working here sweeping the floors as a teenager. He's now one of the most well respected engineers in the industry. My boss (who has his Master's in Mechanical Engineering from Cornell) has been encouraging me to get back into school. Dude is one of the smartest fuckers I've ever met and has so much faith in me it sometimes makes me feel guilty... But I'm planning on entering college next year to begin work on a bachelors in Mechanical Engineering. I figure that way it'll help me at work and at home on the really fun stuff