User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: '68 Mercury Monterey build

♠ LBCC High Desert ♠

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Racewriter View Post
    ... finding 67-68 Merc sheetmetal is like finding hen's teeth.
    Haha, make that 67-69! I looked for six months for a shotgun side fender for my 69 Montego because mine was pretty hammered, finally ended up fixing it and using it. Still looking for eyebrow moldings for both sides, I bid 200 for a pair up on ebay a while back I think they sold for 350 ...

Sounds like you're making nice progress on the 68, man, keep us posted ...

J.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Doing the torque boxes and more particularly the rails on these beasts essentially saved this car. Did a '63 Falcon Sprint and a '63 T-Bird (both convertibles) using the same procedure. That is one big azz Merc. And now it's one solid big azz Merc.
    The only thing on my mind is how good she's running. Labels are for those in need of recognition. - Diém

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. Hopefully I'll have more progress - even small progress - to report tomorrow night.
    Gold Chainers Car Club - "If It's Primered It Ain't Finished!"

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Well, I did get some more work done on the old girl - and drove her several times this weekend, too! I have purchased a Henrob/Dillon torch off Ebay, and have been practicing with it. Decided today was the day to use it for real, so I filled the emblem holes with it. Came out fairly decent, too; won't require much filler and didn't warp the metal. I do think that the torch, at this point, is decidedly more "precision" than I am, but you have to improve somehow.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Well, it's been awhile since I updated. In the last few months I have installed the Pertronix into the distributor (major improvement), and done other mechanical odds and ends. I've been shying away from the body work, though, because it's been a LONG time since I've done major panel replacement. To be truthful, I don't know that I've ever done panel replacement on this scale. However, with KKOA Salina coming up, I decided that I was NOT going to be taking a rusty car to Salina. So, this morning, in 100 degree weather, it was time.

First, off came the rusty rear bumper. I have another rust-free bumper that will replace it. After Salina, I will pull it back off, shave the bolts, and rechrome it.

I should point out that I just might have the greatest wife in the world. Not only will she be reupholstering the car, she will also pinstripe it and do some other odds and ends. She's also much better at cutting long straight lines than I am. SO, she was the official cutter of the long lines on the car.

Starting the cut:

Almost off!

Quarter panel removed! I still have to dress some edges with a grinder for the replacement panel.

Fortunately, the replacement QP came with a good wheelhouse; this is what mine look like.

Now, cutting the replacement quarter:

At this point, we decided that it was too damn hot out to continue working. Tomorrow night, we start welding on the replacement quarter. Then comes the tricky part - the other side. I could not find a left quarterpanel, but I did find a left front fender, that has the same wheelwell opening, and the same curvature at the bottom. I can cut the wheelwell out, weld it in, weld the rear lower fender section into the front quarter, and I'll have to make a rear lower quarter patch. But - cross fingers - this SOB will be rust-repaired by Salina.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Glad to see you're some progress on Rosie, good luck getting it done for KKOA! I hear ya on the "too damn hot", same thing here today, tooo hot to even work in the shade of the garage with the giant fan running!

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

The bad news: Rosie will NOT make it to the KKOA. I will - but Rosie will not. There's just too damn much to do in order to make it road ready. But the good news is that progress continues.

Here are the groovy cool Western wire wheels I found at the Lawrence swap meet for her - I'm thinking 2 bar spinners (there are 4 total, just not in this pic):

Here's the inner wheelhouse from the replacement quarter panel partially welded in place:

And here's the lower quarter tacked in place:

Still finishing the welding; that is one LONG-ass quarter panel, and I'm being very careful with it! You Cali guys are probably looking at that and saying, "Why is he messing with that rusty quarter?" Well, here in Kansas, a QP with only a couple of small rust holes is considered pristine. I have to say, I'm already jazzed about looking at the car and seeing a complete wheel opening!

The other side will be the fun one. That's where I use parts of a front fender to reconstruct a QP because I couldn't find another quarter. Root for me. I'll post the pics.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Looking good.. Sucks that you wont be able to take Rosie to the show..
    There are no RULES!!!
    Hey, you don't know me! You don't know my life!

♠ LBCC High Desert ♠

User Info Menu

Goodluck! It's looking good so far

♠ LBCC High Desert ♠

User Info Menu

Lookin good man. Now I just need to find time to work on mine, haha!
    1969 Mercury Montego MX -- ¡Cállate la boca!
    Roach Motel II -- 1968 Fairlane 500 Wagon

"Two on the street is worth more than 20 on the board." -- 64sled

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Lookin good. i totally feel your pain. i did that exact rust repair/rebuild on my car last year, its time consuming, and i dont really like workin w/ sheet metal, but its something you gotta do.
    Keep up the motivation.
    Cant wait to see this car slammed.
    Sent from my ouiji board with black magic powers

- I Bomb Mes3 -

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. Quick update: STILL WELDING. Yes, that's right, I'm still welding/working that seam in the quarter. Had a slight setback. Where you see the QP above turned out to be about 1/4 inch too high, and the lower sculpting didn't line up. So I had to break the welds at the front, and then drop the QP and reweld. That leaves me a gap that in some places is 1/4 and in some places not too bad. I've welded in horizontal strips of sheetmetal to fill gaps, and now I'm slowly and carefully working in the long weld. The front, back, bottom edges, and wheelwell is already welded tight, but I'm really taking my time on the big length. In fact, tonight, I'm going to start working the wheel opening on the LH side and intersperse some more welds on the RH side. Since I decided not to go to KKOA, it's more important to do it right than to do it quickly.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

How that happenened? Lookslike a pretty bullet proof way to cut horizontally w/ the tape?
    Sent from my ouiji board with black magic powers

- I Bomb Mes3 -

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Operator error... We aligned the new panel incorrectly a bit high in front. I then get out the grinder to remove the overlap. THEN I notice it's too high in front. Hence the gap. It's been a LONG time since I did major panel replacement. If I had it to do all over again, I'd have made my cuts at the sculpture line at the top of the QP. The reason I didn't was that the replacement QP was rougher in the top half than my original, and I didn't want to fix extra dents. Now I'd be happy to fix extra dents, as I'm going to have to re-establish the subtle body line when I'm done. I'll get it done, but it will be a pain.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

S...t happens...
    May the grinder be with you! Keep up the good stuff, that really nice project deserves it !
    5 on 5

♠ LBCC East ♠

User Info Menu

Keep at it, it'll be worth it when it's done.

While you have the grinder out, it's not too late for a removeable top

Just kidding, that movie car's pretty horrible, especially the front end treatment but the C pillars reminded me of your project. I've been reading up on the 60's movie cars lately so I thought I'd throw this in here for inspiration- sort of a 'what not to do' example

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Nappy - the funniest part of your post is that the car that is next in line after the Merc is - a '67 Charger! The inspiration I am taking from the Thunder Charger is to open up the side scoops, and panel painting. And, that's about it.:D

♠ LBCC High Desert ♠

User Info Menu

'67 Charger??? I've always wanted to see one done as a cruiser Here's a badass photoshop by Markk13:

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bob_o View Post
    '67 Charger??? I've always wanted to see one done as a cruiser Here's a badass photoshop by Markk13:

those photoshops are badass Bob, im digging it big time. thats gonna look good as a cruiser, i didnt see it at first but now i understand sin say
    Merry Christmas, SHITTERS Full

♠ LBCC High Desert ♠

User Info Menu

Kudos to markk13. He's the photoshop shaman