User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: '68 Mercury Monterey build

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

I like the first one! I'm not totally sure of the build style for the Charger yet. I am thinking some mild custom tricks. It'll likely have a ProCharged 402CI small block, so it won't be "slow," but it still may be "low." Probably a 2" drop with some sort of vintage-inspired wheels and some candy or pearl paint. Of course, I have to get thru "Rosie" first...
    Gold Chainers Car Club - "If It's Primered It Ain't Finished!"

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

A dropped 67 Charger is sort of my holy grail....but it is so expensive and so huge that its something i will only keep dreamin about.
    Sent from my ouiji board with black magic powers

- I Bomb Mes3 -

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Hard to believe, I know, but there is more progress on "Rosie." First of all, I finally got all the welding done on the RR quarter. That was a friggin' bunch of welding! Here's the quarterpanel welded on and the seams Duraglassed. It might look weird, but I've had a lot of luck with this method over the years: Weld, grind, reweld as necessary. Then grind flat and Duraglass over the top of it. The Duraglass is waterproof and lends a bit of strength for a good base for Bondo/primer. The Duraglass ends up almost completely on the shop floor in grinding dust, but it does fill and even the seam. Plus I've never had any problem with post-paint "ghosting" with this method. After I sand the Duraglass, then I skim coat with Bondo and block. I will say that this is the longest continuous seam I've ever done that with!

I also started the metalworking on the other side. As you remember, I'm taking a wheel opening off a front fender and modifying it to fit the rear fender, then I will piece in the bottom pieces front and back to fix it. This is going to be harder than I thought; but I did get some pieces tacked in. I'm going to have to do a lot of sectioning and pie-cutting to get all the contours right.

Starting to feel pretty optimistic about this build now that I can see it coming together. The new plan is to have the main bodywork roughed in within the next week and a half. Goodguys Kansas City is on Labor Day weekend, and I'm planning to blow on a temporary paint job (some satin finish lacquer) for Goodguys. Then I will cruise the car like that till mid-October, when the local show season is over. At that point, the race car comes out of the garage and the Merc goes in for a full body and finish job, to be done and candied for the Kansas City World of Wheels.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

As part of my effort to set a record for the longest build in LB forum history, I'm back on the Merc after having it set for several years. I've got it in the shop and on stands. Rear end is out as is the rear suspension. Now the project is to wire brush the underside, rust prep it, paint it, and rebuild the suspension. I'm not stopping this time till it's done.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

IG: dylanburnm