User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 59 FORD 2 Door Wagon

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

59 FORD 2 Door Wagon

I've never posted the build of this wagon on any forum since I bought it back in 2005. The wife wanted it so bad, she swore she would kick me in the man berries if I traded or sold it like all the other cars I've had. I got it from Poor Boy Jason up in Sacramento and it was all original with the exception of the motor and tran. So he threw in a 390FE with a FMX tran. I torn the interior apart and rebuilt the 390 and ran the FMX. It ran for about a week when it threw a rod...needless to say, I don't rebuild motors anymore...here are the pics after the time of the motor blowing up incident to now and still going. I'm on a tight budget right now, I'm doing what I can.

so here's when I picked it up...I'm not the tow truck driver dude

By drewtrin at 2010-08-03

Dresser drawer was used to cover the intake manifold? oh BTW, I keep those valve covers sand blasted them and Poor Boy Jason painted them fire engine red with red flake for wall art. The Thunderbird lettering was masked off...so it's bare metal and then he clear the whole thing...came out lookin rad.

the shitty part of buying a 50 year old car

From there, I rebuilt the frontend. Repainted the A-Arms, dog bones, and replaced all bushings and ball joints. For now so I can take her to some shows and drive around, I cut the coils, but in the future there will be a bag job. I also, swapped out the old drums for a set of 72 Ford Fairlane 11.3 discsspindle bolts right on. Since this set up is so big, Tinman suggested I had to do a grinding modification to the caliper & slide brackets if I want to fit 14s, so Im currently running 15 rim.

By drewtrin at 2010-08-08

Ill have more on this buildshortly. I have to locate the pics.
    "You live fast and die young and leave a pretty corpse" - Mr. Ness

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

always loved them 59 wagons! and rancheros and cant get enough of droolin over the one in this months issue of R&C the Hollenbeck painted one.. I am sure I spelled that wrong. Any way cant wait to see how it goes man!
    Looking for 65 galaxie back window/cragar starwires!

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

yeah...I saw that one...wasn't expecting to see another Ranch Wagon at the Sac Autorama...so, Norm's wagon put mine to shame...

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

dude is this the red one that was in the suede pavilion?

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

Lookin good so far.
    I love LR Kustoms RatRods and Wagons.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by james66g View Post
    dude is this the red one that was in the suede pavilion?
    yup...I was parked on the same row as you.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

i remember that purple ford fairlane wagon in the back ground of the first photo, some guy and his wife i meet was stationed at travis air force base said he bought it from sacramento.they went with us to a few car shows and he said they were sending him overseas and would be back in a year, we have not seen him and i think its been well over a year, hope he is okay.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hardtop59 View Post
    i remember that purple ford fairlane wagon in the back ground of the first photo, some guy and his wife i meet was stationed at travis air force base said he bought it from sacramento.they went with us to a few car shows and he said they were sending him overseas and would be back in a year, we have not seen him and i think its been well over a year, hope he is okay.
    That wagon used to belong to Thea Hogan, then Jason Barrett, then he sold it to that guy...It was a cool little grocery getter and loud as fuck!

♠ LBCC Resident Therapist ♠

User Info Menu

Sweet wagon!!
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life." -Winston Churchill

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

I knew it !! man you got the coolest award at that show !!

Dude, I love puppies, dude!

User Info Menu

59's have such cool lines!

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

OK...so when I last left our fearless and broke builder (me)...I showed the beginning stages of when I bought the wagon and tear down. I found some more pics of the engine after I had it professionally rebuilt, the dashboard rebuilt and repainted with a new paint scheme, and I had the seats reupholstered.
    The motor is a 68 Ford Fairlane 302. Would you believe I Actually got this motor out of a 57 Ford. Somebody did an engine swap already before me. I had it rebuilt professionally from the Bokan Bros. in Sacramento. They have had the family business since 1946 building motors for hot rodders since the beginning.

By drewtrin at 2010-08-12

Later I pulled the seats out and had them reupholstered by Paco's Custom Upholstery in Roseville, CA.
    This kid is really good.

On a side project I was working on around that time, I made a best interior trophy for the SF Rod n Custom show back in the day (no longer a show) when I was in the Poor Boys C.C. We called it the best stitches award. Paco's upholstered this metal mini bench seat I fabricated...look how sic it turned out.

...so on with the saga...

I disassembled the dash and attempted to polish the chrome on the dash and took it to Wyotech and they painted a two tone scheme. The middle section is Lexus Pearl and the red is standard fire engine red, then red flake, then candy apple red ( seeing red now)...all covered with clear a couple of times. All Sherwin Williams paint..not bad and I got a good deal.

thug

When I moved to Ventura in 2008, I couldn't afford to rent any shop space at the time and my new job was having me work stupid hours so I had no time to work on the wagon, but I was getting paid well, so I took the wagon to Noble Fabrication here in Ventura, and he hooked me up with some basic shit that needed to be installed, like an exhaust, electrical, motor mounts, he shaved some emblems off, cleaned up the firewall, and broke the engine in...once everything was installed and it actually was a driver. Here are those pics…

I started out with coker fat bias ply white walls G78's...crappy tire

…I’ll have to dig up some more pics and get back to this later…

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

I forgot to mention. I'm running a 92 AOD Tranny and Gennie Shifter kit (which I hate) and I made the shifter and found an old microphone and machined an adapter and TIG welded the adapter to the stick and screwed the 55 Shure Microphone...don't worry rockasilly's...It's still functional...would want you to cry in your skinny white belts...I'm just fuckin with the rockabilly kids, you know I love to jive.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Its lookin very clean. Seats, engine, dash, hell dude, if you carry on like this its goin to be really nice!
    It has rainbow flake on the roof right? Whats the plan for the bodycolor?
    Sent from my ouiji board with black magic powers

- I Bomb Mes3 -

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bonez View Post
    Its lookin very clean. Seats, engine, dash, hell dude, if you carry on like this its goin to be really nice!
    It has rainbow flake on the roof right? Whats the plan for the bodycolor?
    yeah...the roof is flaked. I thought about doing the same to the rest of the body and doing a candy panel job.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

The wife and I moved back to the East Bay as soon as we found out she was prego and I took a job with the shipping industry in Oakland. Unfortunately, We lost the baby and I was laid off at the beginning of the year, so as I waited for the job to call me back and I tried to comfort the wife as much as I could, I paid a visit to Carlos of the Royal Jokers body shop in Richmond (Gorilla Auto Body). It's safe to say we've been friends for a few years, so we worked out a deal for trade work for a flaked roof on the wagon. I did some metal fabrication on customers cars and misc. shit to the shop and in return he would shoot the gun. I of course paid for all the materials and I tried to do all the prep to the roof myself, but that long roof is like a twin size bed. here's those pics from beginning to end.

By drewtrin at 2010-08-18

Mental note: when removing the back window frame, be sure to secure the floating nuts that are trapped inside the frame, otherwise you'll have to fish the fuckers out by cutting a big hole to get your fingers or a tool to retrieve them.

bam!! there you have it...be sure to check out Gorilla Auto Body Blog spot and if you ever need a real custom paint job...he's been doing this shit for years.

this is only the beginning, I'm far from being done...I'll have more pics

After all the bullshit that went wrong moving back to the East Bay, we decided to move back to Ventura and start all over again. The only things that kept me sane while being back there are our friends all over the East Bay...here's a pic of the day it left Richmond, Ventura bound.

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

Hell yeah! Cool Vargoon man! I love the seats, and that shifter is rad! I've been looking for a decent old mic like that for my ride as well!
    Even a F@#ked up plan is better than no plan at all!

♠ B.C. Chapter President ♠

User Info Menu

"If your going to build a time machine into a car, why not do it with style?" - Dr. Emmit Brown

♠ LBCC High Desert ♠

User Info Menu

dig that long roof!

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

damn looks bad ass nice car
    Incomparables CC VP

RESPECT THOSE WHO RESPECT YOU, WHETHER OR NOT YOU LIKE THE CULTURE, IF SOMEONE SHOWS YOU RESPECT, MAKE SURE YOU SHOW IT BACK.thumbsup:

Rolling low and burning a bowl

SABES QUE, IF YOU DON'T LIKE DON'T LOOK AT IT

--------------------------
    1974 Monte Carlo a.K.a El Monte