User Tag List

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Everything you ever wanted to know about Supremes...

♠ LBCC Sweden ♠

User Info Menu

Re: Everything you ever wanted to know about Supremes...

Thanks Eryk! You´re the man!
    1960 Oldsmobile Super 88
    1964 Oldsmobile 442 conv.
    1964 Ford Galaxie 500

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Damm good read,thanks!
    Pendleton Mafia!!

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Great read, thanks.
    Support Live Music.

"Tell Barack I'm Baroke"

Sidewalk Spectator

User Info Menu

thanks eryk, this was a well needed lesson for me.
    feels good to be back in the drivers seat
    64 thunderbird

♠ LBCC California Chapter President ♠

User Info Menu

For more detailed topics please visit Eryks other posts....

Capri Sun: How they get that goodness in a baggie?

Jerry Curls: A Chicano "soul glow" how to.

How to know if your GAY or just VEGAN.

When I was a kid my tennis shoes never came in boxes???

♠ LBCC So Cal ♠

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GOOZGAZ

TOMA!
    "Do your job........ DO YOUR FUCKEN JOB"!
    Cruzito

Sidewalk Spectator

User Info Menu

how does a capri sun get all the yummy goodnes in a baggie???
    feels good to be back in the drivers seat
    64 thunderbird

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

I thought all vegans were all gay?
    "All i wanted was a Pepsi!"

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot
    Quote Originally Posted by GOOZGAZ

TOMA!
    Haha. Si. A tomar caprisun guey!! :D

I'm pretty sure all vegans are indeed gay. Then again...they're not the ones stuffing their faces with chorizo.

Now THAT deserves a "TOMA".
    "Your car is so low, Bill Hines has to duck to get in." - Trent Sherrill

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

I went to Pomona today. I stopped at that big wheel place along the back wall. The guy had 2 sets of 14" Supremes out, stacked on top of boxes. One set was reinforced and came with supreme caps and one wasn't reinforced and had no caps. I casually asked him what the differences were in the two sets, because one had plain boxes and the other had US Wheel boxes. He said "There's no difference. They're all Supremes." Then I asked him why one set was reinforced and one wasn't. Then after looking down at the non-reinforced wheels he said, "13 wheels don't have the reinforcement". Then I pointed out the fact that both sets were 14". After he snapped out of his stuttering daze he responded with, "Well I have no idea why those aren't reinforced. They're all made by the same people. Well, two different companies but they all know each other." He mentioned that one set was AWC but couldn't tell me which ones. Either way the guy didn't know who made what and couldn't tell me why they were the same price. I think it's funny that the largest and most established wheel dealer at the Pomona Swapmeet has no idea what he's selling.

Dude, I love puppies, dude!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eryk
    I went to Pomona today.

I think it's funny that the largest and most established wheel dealer at the Pomona Swapmeet has no idea what he's selling.
    Damn Eryk, i was their also, sucked as usual, their was a guy however selling an original set of astro slots very thin 14"x4" possibly?? , i was thinking about getting them for my model t but had to pass cause they were too thin , they were CHERRY!!

and not suprising about the guy not knowing what he was selling.

Sidewalk Spectator

User Info Menu

actually while it's got some good history some of it is also incorrect. i agree right up to the 90s part but will set the record straight from there. the guy from Imperial Wheel in Staton Island,NY bought all the old tooling, rights, everything associated with the supreme from the original designers family a few years after his death. after a long exhaustive search he had Allied Wheel Co start the new production runs in the 90s. as part of the agreement he also allowed Allied to produce and sell them on their own only with a few differences. the largest being the ones specifically done for Imperial were Triple plated. Allied also tried soing their version at first without the extra bracing gussets and soon found that it was indeed a weak point of the wheel. and they soon added the gussets to their own version. the set on my Wildcat came from Imperial and were part of a 1998 production run. i beleive that US Wheel the others followed Allied with the current line of repops. i've seen just about all of the current and several of the older repops and several og sets of Astros and in my eye the Allied version is the nicest one ever made...ken....

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info Ken! That's very interesting. I had come across Imperial Wheel from reading articles and old posts. Typical interweb research. But I could never get the full scoop or make the solid connection. Your info ads another piece to the puzzle and that's fantastic!

Do you have any production dates when they first started to officially be made under the Allied name? I know that Allied is celebrating their 10 year anniversary this year. So the company started in 98. The owner of San Fernando tire, who's a pretty good friend of ours, said he was the first in the Valley to carry Supremes in 1996. But he told us that all he carried was US Wheel before he sold Allied exclusively. He's old, so he might be mistaken. I did check into US Wheel's history as a company and they've been around since 1986. But I can't find any concrete evidence on the production dates of their Supremes. Hmmmmm.

Not like any of this matters really. I just geek out over this shit. :D

Sidewalk Spectator

User Info Menu

i'm not sure on the production beginning at Allied. like i said i'm pretty sure mine are '98 been awhile since i've had one off the car but it seems like they were mid/late 98 production. i don't know if the # is still current but the Imperial Wheels guy is REALLY nice. more than happy to talk to you about his side of the wheel. the # i have on file for him is 718-987-7709. maybe try and give him a ring.

i had heard once that ALL of the ones that came around in the late 80s early 90s were actually the 70s repops that had been found in a warehouse and bought by another company. was never able to put any firm truth to that though.

the biggest thing i can stress about these wheels is that the Allied/Imperial version is the only one i haven't seen crack. US Wheels version is the one i've seen crack the most.

i got a feeling alot of them are coming out of the same china factory. it's happening big time with several of the current VW wheel repops. theres a company in the UK putting a bunch of money in repopping some of those wheels and then another cheap company keeps popping up with the lower price lower quality version within a few months. the latest is a repop version of the torque thrust d they are calling "torkers". JGE put out a NICE repop of it a while back now MWS is also putting it out. ALL of MWS wheels is a lower quality alloy and does take a polish like the higher end JGE. and they also use a clear that tends to fail rather quickly. i was in mid order of a set when i just happened to click on the pick again and noticed the MWS cap on it. the Supplier carries wheels from both co's and doesn't specify in the ad. oh and because of the lower quality alloy the MWS are NOT DOT aproved hahaha. anyhow thats just my long way of saying alot of those repops are probably coming out of the same factory. i think the Allied's are done in house or they have a facility in mexico...ken....

Newb

User Info Menu

Eryk,
    I need some help!! My centers for my wheels are shot. I want a center that I can put a spinner on but havent had any lucky soo far. My cap needs to be 3 1/8 od and it doesnt really matter how tall they are.Thanks for your help.

Carlow

Les schwab sells a cheap after market cap that you can order a 2 or 3 bar spinner for- under 15$ a piece. Its a good deal and that cap fit my Supremes perfectly. Might work for ya...?

Newb

User Info Menu

thanks for the info. cool car!!!!

junebug

I gotta get a set of them supreme caps with the six stars .mmmmm

Dude, I love puppies, dude!

User Info Menu

these are the backs of my supremes, i'm not big on these either. wish i knew who made them?
    the brace is on the wrong part of the rim, it should be on the spoke and rim correct? NOT the hub and spoke

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Thanks for the pics Eric. I don't know which brand those are.

Some more useless info...So a couple weeks ago I went to see my wheel guy over at SFT. I asked him how I could get some 15x10 reversed Supremes for the buggy. He said "Allied doesn't have that size reversed. The standards in that size are not special order and Allied can have them here in a week." He went on to say that he could do a special order which would come "through Allied but they just send the centers and we put them together". So two weeks later my wheels are ready and I go to pick them up. I immediately start looking on the boxes for manufacturer tags/markings. The only one is from Prime Wheels. That's where SFT gets their outer wheels from. The box tag said "15x10 Plain-No Center". Then I asked for the boxes that the centers came in. He said they threw them away. I asked them if he remembered who they came from. He said "Allied, but the centers are all the same. All the companies get them from China and put them together here in the us." So Ken was right on point with that info. Thanks holmes! :D

This still doesn't tell me who the main source is. All that matters really, is what we know for sure. No matter where the parts come from, Allied puts their version together with plates welded to the spoke and wheel.