User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The passing of Larry Watson.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Larry Watson was a prophet. He was put on this earth to teach poor-sucker-humans about style... and he did.

I was pretty messed up when I learned of his passing. Pretty much everything I love about custom cars is linked to something he did at some point during his career. Somehow I never realized that until the moment I learned that he was gone. I will always regret that I missed the opportunity to shake his hand and thank him for his vision.

Its undeniable that there would be no Los Boulevardos if there was no Larry Watson. And I know for sure that I would be a different person today if he never happened. From now on I feel a greater sense of responsibility to style and drive my cars with pride. The best I can do is to try to interpret the work he did in the best way that I can. I think that's the best we all can do.

Rest in peace Mr. Watson.
    Every subsequent drive I take in my Catalina is humbly dedicated to you.
    nearly shed a tear on the last part. i couldn't agree more here.

he was a godsend. may he rest in peace.

flaco
    La Onda don't shine shoes.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

That whole weekend was heavy. Pichette, Watson, and on that Saturday - the day of watson's funeral - an old friend of mine died. In three's I guess, right?

♠ LBCC High Desert ♠

User Info Menu

I had the oppurtunity to talk with Larry numerous times, starting when I was about 11 or 12 (I was infected by Kustoms at a young age, thanks Pops) up until the last time I saw him this past November. I'm now 26. Regardless of how much I was able to pick his brain, hear his funny ass stories and generally just enjoy bein around the guy, after I heard he passed, none of it seem to be enough. I felt like I'd wasted so much time on other pursuits. His death hit me hard. I'm not big on heroes, but he definitely was one of mine. Starting when I was a lil tike, and my dad had gotten an issue of Rod 'n' Custom in the mail that had this article titled "Watson: The Early Years." I was HOOKED. This dude's style was amazing. And granted, as a kid, one's concept of "style" and "art" is quite a bit different from that of an adult, but I was nonetheless impacted by his work. the colors, the free flowing designs, the flat-out disregard for the kustom/hot rod status quo and "tradition". And while there were (and still are) other kustom painters (Roth, Von Dutch, Jeffries, Winfield, Hines, etc) who are amazing in their own rights, there was something about Larry's work that struck a HUGE chord within me. My buick will one day be an homage to him and his sense of style. Before he passed, he asked me, "What do ya plan ta do with that big-assed Buick, kid?" So I laid it all out for him. He just sat there noddin his head slowly, and when I was done, he smirks out of the side of his mouth, put his arm around my shoulders and exclaimed, "I knew you were playin on my team, kid!" Gods bless him. I miss him already.

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eryk View Post
    So I'm sure by now everyone knows about Larry. It happened when our board was down, so we didnt really get to talk about it here. But it was all over the **** and facebook. And we did a couple posts on our blog about him. Now that our board is back up, I want to take this opportunity to share my thoughts and feelings on the loss of an icon and a friend.

I could write a book on what Larry meant to custom cars. Many of us could. He meant everything to this club. Without him, there would be no LBCC. His influence is in everything we do as a club. Many of us built cars in his honor or cars that gave a direct nod to the style he pioneered. And all of us respected Larry for his unmatched vision and wonderful talent. He was truly one of the greatest innovators and contributors to custom paint and custom cars in general. Every candy job, panel job, patterned car...hell...even lowered car owes a good part of its existence to Larry Watson.

I didn't meet Larry till 2007. But since then I had the great opportunity to see him and talk to him again and again. I visited his house a couple times. His hospitality was tremendous. He always invited me back and also invited me to the local cruise in his neighborhood many times. Those were always the best evenings. I remember sitting in a lawn char next to Larry. Nobody was there but the two of us. And I got to pick his brain about the history of painting, various techniques, and many details about specific cars he'd done. I've said it before..Larry was a painter's painter. He could sit there and talk shop for hours on end. I learned a great deal from hanging with Larry Watson. And for that, I'll always be grateful.

We lost Larry at 3am on Tuesday, July 20th 2010. I heard the news at 7am. My first reaction was shock. Then I felt sick. Lost my appetite and just didnt know what to say or do. It took some time to really sink in and when it did it was difficult for me, and for everyone that was close to him I'm sure. I cant imagine how his close friends and family felt. I know they're still struggling to cope with the loss. Even when it is expected, you're never really ready. And in Larry's case, it wasn't expected to happen as soon as it did. The cancer took him before many people even knew he was sick.

I received and made a few phone calls that day. Each one seemed more difficult than the last. I thank those of you who I spoke to that day. Sometimes we have no words. I know you guys understand. Please know that your friendship means the world. And I offer mine in return.

So now what? Larry's services are this weekend. I know it will be difficult. I also know it will be cathartic. More than anything, I want to show respect to Larry and his family and friends. We're all a big extended family anyway. It will be good to go and support each other as well. He deserves the best.

And what of the future without a Larry Watson? Well, I say he's still here. He is here in our hearts and minds. He is here in our memories and our influences. But most of all, Larry Watson is here in the way that we carry on the tradition that he started. The tradition of building customs built for the boulevard. Customs that have a look and feel that is unmistakeably "Watson Style". Larry was one of the greatest painters the world has ever seen. And he should be celebrated as such. Its up to us to preserve his memory. To tell his story. And its up to us to fill this world with the color that was lost with his passing. Thats what I plan to do. That's what I want for this club.

Rest In Peace Larry. I know you're doing some crazy paint jobs wherever you're at. And with "real paint". None of that "commie bullshit"!

-Eryk

may he ride in peace he had some damn good skills i would do anything to have his work done on my monte i would of liked to meet him seems like a real cool dude and learn some tricks from him he looks like my homie drew who coincidentally paints cars

Quote Originally Posted by OG lil E View Post
    I'm still trying to absorb the passing of the custom auto paint world's Great One, Larry Watson. It feels like a member of my family passed away.

Two years ago, my good friend Charlie Mawhinney passed away and it was very hard to deal with. He was only 56, so it came as a real shock. Charlie was the one who educated me on Watson way back in the late 80's. Charlie was always Larry's biggest fan, and his admiration helped turn a small group of knucklehead barrio kids on the verge of gangsta life into custom car nuts. That veered us away from a bad lifestyle that may have eventually got one or all of us killed. Well, just over 20 years later, Charlie is gone, and so is Larry.

I had the pleasure of meeting Larry at Paso back in 2003. He was such a nice guy, so full of life and love for custom cars, and the people who build and drive them. He graciously talked to me for a while, and even took some time to check out my Buick. He had nothing but nice things to say. He was especially impressed that we DROVE out all the way from Colorado. Meeting him was one of the highlights in my life, and I will never forget him.

When I heard of Larry's passing, it was like a double whammy for me. Not only did I have to deal with the new situation of dealing with Larry's death, but the passing of Charlie came screaming back. It was like Charlie had died all over again. My emotions were a wreck. It was so bad that I was having dreams about hanging out with Larry and Charlie. I would wake up happy thinking everything was cool, and then reality would hit and my depressed feeling would come back.

On Saturday evening I was reflecting on things, wishing I could've made the trip out to Califas for the funeral and paid my final respects to the man I've admired for a long time, but California's a long way from Edgewater, Colorado. So, I spent a good deal of time making a tribute video to Larry. I got it all done, posted it on YouTube, and their copyright police blocked it from public viewing because of the music I used. Everything I tried to get it up online failed. I eventually had to re-do the whole thing and I finally got it to work. I had to use different music, which I really like my original choice better, but this song got it by the copyright deal.

I used alot of pictures I collected from the **** and here. I hope nobody minds.

I put this up on the ****, and I knew it had to go up here, the only place where Larry Watson is revered almost as much as at my house.

I hope you all like it.

For Larry.......................E

aw man that was a great video
    Incomparables CC VP

RESPECT THOSE WHO RESPECT YOU, WHETHER OR NOT YOU LIKE THE CULTURE, IF SOMEONE SHOWS YOU RESPECT, MAKE SURE YOU SHOW IT BACK.thumbsup:

Rolling low and burning a bowl

SABES QUE, IF YOU DON'T LIKE DON'T LOOK AT IT

--------------------------
    1974 Monte Carlo a.K.a El Monte

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Never forgotten

Simply the best............RIP Larry

CRUISER

Dude, I love puppies, dude!

User Info Menu

Dec issue of LRM did a tribute to Watson.

Has any of the hot rod/custom mags done it yet?

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Dec issue of LRM did a tribute to Watson.
    Good. Too bad they never gave him any credit when he was alive. 30 years of that magazine and they never acknowledged his impact till now. Maybe the rod/custom mags didnt feel the need to jump on it so fast because they embraced him in life.

Maybe the resurgence of the oldschool style has peaked or renewed their interest. I dunno. Maybe its the fact that Joe Ray is at the helm and he's benn doing alot of cool features lately(Howard Gribble). Whatever it is, its a nice welcomed change.
    "Your car is so low, Bill Hines has to duck to get in." - Trent Sherrill

♠ LBCC High Desert ♠

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eryk View Post
    Good. Too bad they never gave him any credit when he was alive. 30 years of that magazine and they never acknowledged his impact till now. Maybe the rod/custom mags didnt feel the need to jump on it so fast because they embraced him in life.

Maybe the resurgence of the oldschool style has peaked or renewed their interest. I dunno. Maybe its the fact that Joe Ray is at the helm and he's benn doing alot of cool features lately(Howard Gribble). Whatever it is, its a nice welcomed change.
    In all the years of LRM, they never talked about Larry? That blows my mind. He helped influence the Lowrider style in a big way..

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

You guys are so lucky to have been around and known Larry Watson. I think I first became aware of him through Ganahl era Rod and Customs in the very early '90s which themselves were very influential in my mid-late teens. I also picked up issues one and two of the re-born Hop Up in '94 which had features on his Thunderbird and '57 Cad. I think the true lowness of his cars always impressed me. He always struck me as being a cool guy too, a bit of a Fonz if you like (and if that's not seen as derogatory in any way!). I was saddened to hear of his passing.

Casual Cruiser

User Info Menu

I'll be driving up to WKC Cruise this saturday in a late model Ranger, cuz Mi' Trokita isn't ready to drive yet .
    The reason why I'm adding my 2 cents now about Larry is because he was my only painter hero as a teenager .
    I've heard a lot of people say crap, like he was arrogant, conceited, and egotistical . My usual response was, "Well he's Larry Watson ". He earned it . He paid his dues .
    He and Al Lazarus were the first people my son and I met in Paso . Both of those guys were real gentlemen as far as I'm concerned . Larry never used a curse word in front of my kids . He said it wasn't the proper thing to do .
    At least not until my son was 18 years old . My son Bob is one of Larrys greatest fans and supporters .
    I can't tell you how proud Bob was to finally get his picture taken with his car and Larry . Look at the above picture . Tell me he's not happy !! Larry was very proud of the fact Bob was an ardent fan . He never got tired of telling Bob about what was wrong or right with the world or with cars .
    I was lucky enough to see some of his paint jobs on as teenager on Van Nuys Blvd. Wow what a thrill !!
    So, here we are, going to the WCK Cruise and no Larry . I for one will look at most of these customs and think, look at what kind of influence Larry Watson has had on so many peoples lives .
    Every time I look at my son with his '62 Buick I'll be thinking of Larry and the profound effect he had my youngest son .
    Thank you Larry ,and if there is a god, may he always be with you .
    Rob54, an appreciative friend and fan .
    Last edited by Rob54; 05-26-2011 at 05:16 PM.

Harvey's Front Row

User Info Menu

It's been a year. Pretty unbelievable. Still miss him.
    "Your car is so low, Bill Hines has to duck to get in." - Trent Sherrill

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

Marie and I have talked alot about him this week, memories of him are spoken a lot here throughout the year. Roger

♠ LBCC High Desert ♠

User Info Menu

Fuck. Yesterday was two years since my brother Bryon passed. Today is a year since Larry. I'm not liking this week so much.

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

Yesterday marked 2 years. Talked to Gary Mcnaught, & Bill Carter. Earlier had talked to Bill Decarr, Today was/would have been Larry's birthday. Calvin Weikamp called said he would rather mark the birthday.

♠ LBCC Chicagoland ♠

User Info Menu

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

I always liked her even though I didn't know her very well. She is quite a lady. During Larry's last days, I seen her cleanig the floor between larrys bed and bath,and gained more respect for her than I can say.. She lives in Merced and sells Real Estate. A very elegant LADY. Roger

♠ LBCC Chicagoland ♠

User Info Menu

Caddy wires with candy-over-chrome inside the hub topped off with spiders.

Brillant.

♠ LBCC High Desert ♠

User Info Menu

Larry's Brougham is easily one of my top 5 Customs. Everything about it is brilliant, starting with the vehicle choice he made. He told me once that this Caddy may have had one of the first sets of "skinny" whites on the Blvd.

Pearl white tuck n' roll & pink fur. Ftw, zfg:

Boulevard Bomber

User Info Menu

Wow I'm really digging the T&R trans tunnel...and fur, so luxurious. I've never seen a pic inside, thanks for posting gents.

♠ LBCC Chicagoland ♠

User Info Menu

Yeah. This is by far my favorite version of it. The later version just does not do it for me as much.